Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Default Spring Break?

Hi Folks,
Can anyone tell me exactlly when Spring Break will be in 2007? Reason for asking this is that we have booked a cruise for March 4th 2007 and I'm wondering if this is the first week of Spring Break. I have heard horror stories of people being on cruises with loads of young people overwhelming the ships and their staff. We really don't want to be faced with that. The alternative date is the 31 March but on a different ship but the same cruise line.
Thanks for your help,
James.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I hate to say this but Spring Break is different times for different schools. They all seem to be around that time. I've only heard stories about problems when they are on short cruises 3-4 days. The longer the cruise, the less likely you are to run into the spring breakers. (cost)

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Admiral

We were on the Elation during Spring Break. I believe that half of all the passengers were children! Not only were all cabins booked, lots of them had 3rd and 4th passengers. It got to be a bit much. I have decided to avoid that time period as a choice of travel. This is extremely unofficial, and all I have to base it on is schools in Texas, but I believe most Spring Breaks stare taking place the 2nd week of March and usually the last ones are the 4th week of March. Some are attached to Easter, as well. This probably doesn't help much, but it's my $.02 worth
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

it varies greatly. On average the colleges Spring Break pretty much takes up all of March and some of April. The vast majority of school aged children will be during the Easter Break, some schools still do a mid-winter break which falls on the week of President's Day.
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Winter/Spring Break runs from the 3rd week in February through the end of April. Most colleges have their spring break during the month of March so odds are you will be cruising during college spring break time. Here in NH our spring breaks are the last week in February and the last week in April with the college break being either the 2nd or 3rd week in March. I know MA has their winter break the 3rd week of February and the 3rd week of April. Hope this helps.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yeoman

I was going to say much the same as Darcy.

I always figure some group will be on break between the 3rd week of Feb. and the middle of April.
As far as K-12 schools, different parts of the country have different schedules. Some do Feb and April weeks; others just get one week, sometime in March.

Colleges are all over the board, but I think most tend to be in March.
Then there are the colleges with quarters rather than semesters ...
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Default tx for advice

Thank you everyone for answering my query. Oh Dear, sounds like we're in a no win situation here.The 4th of March sees 5 other ships leaving Fort Lauderdale so I'm crossing my fingers the majority of students will be on the other five!!! Thank you once again.
Regards,
James
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

My spring break this year is at the end of March, going into the first week of April. Last year my break was at the end of April, it just depends on the School District.

I went on a 4-day Monarch of the seas cruise during my spring break last year, and there was not many obnoxious people on-board. I think there was way more obnoxious people aboard the Carnival Pride, which I went on two summers ago.

-Ewokdude
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Tough one, as the other posters indicated...just go with the flow. One of the best times, I found, to cruise to the Caribbean is the first week of May, it's not too hot , the rainy season hasn't started, the prices are great and all the schools are back in session and children are definitely in the minority. Last year, we counted 6 underage children (that we saw) on the entire ship on our May cruise. I'm not against children cruising, it's usually the children whose parents allow them to roam the ship unattended that get into trouble and spoil the cruise experience for fellow passengers.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

HAL tends to not attract the rowdier crowds....So I think you are ok....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Hi Lauderdale Is A Zoo During Spring Break Hopefully The Kids Will All Stay On Land
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I was on a Carnival Cruise in March...what a mistake!!!! I swore I would never go back on one again... after all the college kids were over drinking and throwing up in the hallways when the sea was a bit rocky. The smell was just wretching!!!!! Thank God Doug talked me into going on another cruise when I met him, or I'd have never known how much fun they were, when it wasnt spring break.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004