Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default A Special Thank You

I want to thank all of the law enforcement people who while I was sleeping, and for that matter, going about my normal life, were busy keeping us safe.

I am referring to what has happened in the UK. Thank God we have so many people who are smart enough to stay on top of what was being planned.

Today could have been completely different if they had not been doing there jobs. Can you imagine what it would have been like if we had awoken to 21 planes being blown out of the sky?

We have much to be thankful for today!!!!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yeoman

It will be very interesting in the next few days to see how all of this came about.

I certainly am thankful that the plot was uncovered in time.
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Captain

Well said, Luanne.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Without meaning to appear insensitive, I must say that the Brits have brought much of this on through the laxity of their immigration policies. But then, they already know that. The furor over immigration in the U.S. pales by comparison to what they face in the U.K., IMO. And France isn't far behind when it comes to importing their troubles. We're talking about legal immigrants too, for the most part.

For every thousand decent people who migrate to the U.S. and the European countries, there is one guy or gal who has an evil agenda. Or so it seems. And until the government authorities can figure out how to separate the wheat from the chaff, we'll continue to have the problems that are being faced today in Britain and elsewhere.

Pardon me if I've offended anyone.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Jack, You didn't offend me at all. I agree with you about the problems with immigration. It is a real problem every where. What I wanted to do was publicly thank those who have worked long into the night, so that this day turned out the way it did, instead of unimaginable. I realize that somewhere in the UK, there might be a policeman who has spent hours and hours on the investigation, and he wonders if we care. Before he got some well needed sleep, I wanted him to know we do care, and are grateful.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Admiral

I echo your sentiments!
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Default A Special Thank You

Luanne, Well said, and I agree completly.

Jack, There should be no one offended by your comments. There are these immigrant type problems for all countries and we/they are going to have to be more vigilant in our efforts to keep "on top" of it.

crabbie1[/u]
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Jack..you make an excellent point, but I remember the Oklahoma City bombing of the federal building...for the first day or two the news media and the FBI were focus on some "foreign " looking terrorist, when in fact they were home grown Americans. We have to be very careful we don't get suck into ethnic or racial profiling which will bring great harm to many naturalize or second generation born American citizens of other parts of the world..911 is still fresh in everyone's mind after today's events and you recall how paranoid alot of Americans were of people that did not look "like us" (whatever that meant) back then

I concur with Luanne's original point. A lot of folks worked very hard for very long to break this and we should be very thankful to them

However, in light of the world's situation, we cannot let our guard down for a moment. When we focus on one area (airports) we leave ourselves expose in other areas
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Sorry to burst your logic bubble, but all those guys were BORN in Britain. And Richard Reid is a white dude...... a hairy one, but a white dude.

Sorry. I don't buy it.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
I concur with Luanne's original point. A lot of folks worked very hard for very long to break this and we should be very thankful to them
They did what they are paid for to do. It is there job.
Geezz.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Old August 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
They did what they are paid for to do. It is there job.
Geezz.....
So I guess that means if someone is paid to do a job and they do that job we don't have to thank them. Does this mean I no longer have to tip service people who are "paid to do what they do (even if so little) ?

Get a grip! We should be thankful that they did their job and appear to have done it well. This is also another reason the public shouldn't know every little detail about an operation so they can continue to their their job and make this world just a little safer for everyone

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Jacki, Even though I think very well of you, I have to disagree. The people surrounding 9/11 were just doing there jobs. This time, it must have been much more, than just their job.

It is a sad time in our lives when someone feels the desire to thank a person or a group of people, and you have people complaining about it.

I find it very refreshing to thank someone. It makes me feel good, and it makes them feel good.

It also says something about humans when you complain about something, and get more of a response.

I still would like to thank those who were involved. Now they are saying up to 9 planes involved. That's a lot of families that would be morning their loved ones this morning. I for one are glad they "were just doing their job"

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I work in the Pentagon, and I can assure you there would have been many more people killed there that day if everyone "just did their job". I personally know people, ordinary people like software developers, engineers and the like who drug people out of burning wreckage.
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Admiral

I will join in the refrain of "Thank You". I believe that there were many more "inside" people who helped those in front do their job. The uncovering of the plot did save us from massive heartache and sheer terror.
I always like to thank people, too. It's just a nice thing to do.

In addition, though, by uncovering the plot and then announcing it, the "terrorists" have succeeded in instilling some sort of fear in us again. By sheer complacency, we've moved on from the scissors and nailclipper bans to liquid products. So, now, common toiletries aren't allowed in carry ons. Why is it that something like this has to be announced? I know it is NEWS (and my son wouldn't have news director's job without it), but the people planning these attacks now have us on the defense once more and will turn to something else. Terrorists thrive on the "fear factor". And, although I will accept the debate that all the security checks at the airports are for our safety---to a point--we are, as a country, back to having to be scrutinizing our own citizens once again.It upsets our way of living, as we know it, and that is one of the terrorist objectives.

I know that McVeigh was homegrown, along with Terry Nichols. I watched Geraldo's show every night having him show the victims. That was a terrible thing. But, as far as I know, they weren't getting on airplanes and threatening to do massive harm. They focused on one target in their local area. It was awful; and it was the first "recognized" face of terrorism. (First Trade Center Bombing in 1993?)

Back to the point, I think that all folks who are paid or volunteer, who are doing their job, should be thanked and told they are appreciated. That goes a long way towards avoiding burnout, and "why bother?"

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Admiral

And that is why when we are cruising, we should also once in awhile thank the crew members that are not on the front lines of public contact and not in the "tipping pool"

I am an early riser on a cruise and always like to say good morning to the crew member that is mopping the deck and putting out the chairs and bring them a cup of coffee to share with me and ask them about their home country and their family. You would be surprised as to their education, motivation for being on the ship..they have alot of pride in what they do "behind the scenes " for the guest and what they can tell you about the ship and the public contact crew..

Surveys have consistently shown that recognition (and celebration of that recognition) is highly valued, sometime more then money..Just a simple "thank you"
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Yeoman

Default A special thank you

Sometimes Americans/human beings get complacent once things blow over; no we don't forget, but the fear dies down. Then, as events came at us this last week we accelerated back into the fearful stage. I know working with senior citizens it does a number on them. The media hits us from all sides.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Admiral

Betty...you are so right !! I'm reading "Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code)..in it there is a great quote :

"the goal of terrorism is to create terror and fear..fear undermines faith in the establishment..it weakens the enemy from within..causing unrest in the masses..write this down..terrorism is not an expression of rage..terrorism is a political weapon...remove a government's facade of infallibility and you remove its people's faith"
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I haven't read a "real" book in some time, but I think I'll check on this one. Just the announcement of the plot has people back in the dither that the terrorists want us to be in! UGH!

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

All I can say is WOW!!Jacqueline,im not usually a mean person, nor do I say rude things to people, but what you wrote below is probably one of the most idiotic things i've ever heard!!I just dont know what would make you say something like that!!Im assuming that you're against the war in Iraq?!And thats fine,you have your right to your opinion and I won't judge you for that!But are you saying that if you saw a soldier in an airport that had just got back from Iraq,that you wouldnt thank them,or even clap for them,after they were just in Iraq (or elsewhere in the middle east) for months(maybe years!) fighting for not only YOURS,but everyones freedom(even people that they dont even know,but have a broken heart for because they dont have the same freedom that we do)because they were "Just doing their job"?At the same time, the people that uncovered the terrorist plot and saved ALOT of lives should be thanked by everyone!!I understand that they were "just doing their jobs",but alot of people "just do their jobs" but slack off and dont do their jobs to the best of their ability!If that would have been the case here,then HUNDREDS of people would be dead!!I apologize if I offended anyone else that is reading this post,but this is just my opinion and I am intitled to that!!

Now that im done with that,I agree with you 100% Luanne!!A warm and special "Thank You" to those men and women that saved so many lives!!And also a warm and special "Thank You" to all of our soldiers station overseas,or in the great 'ol USA!!And I would also like to even extend it to all of our countries veterans!!

God Bless,
Daniel
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Yeoman

Default A special thank you

Maybe the Brits need to reexamine immigration, but so should we. I am in awe of organizations like Scotland Yard and other British espionage forces. Nothing has been said about the aid received from the government of Pakistan. Without their help and cooperation, this roundup could not have been accomplished; thank you. Lessen #1: terrorism is global, we should say this every day.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07