Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default Lagniappe

"something as a small gift that is given free or as a bonus"

I think cruise lines that offer compensation for events outside of their control and that by cruise contract they don't have to do, fits the definition of lagniappe..which is a good thing

In cruising terms, when my waiter brings me a second dessert without my asking, because he noticed that I could not decide which one to have, that's called lagniappe

every day that the good Lord wakes me up and I can put two feet on the floor and have all of my mental and physical facilities and gives me the means to be able to go on a cruise, that's lagniappe

when my 2 year old grandson who is learning how to talk can tell me on the phone that he loves me (and then makes sure to ask if I have peanut butter and jelly in my home before he comes over) that's big time lagniappe

Do you have an example of lagniappe, both cruise related and otherwise ?
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Able to leave work and sit on my boat while watching the sunset.

Does that qualify?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

lagniappe... I just love the word. For those of you who are not french (like me) or who are not familiar with the word, my husband's family is from louisiana and for me lagniappe is sitting with all his/our family and listening to them talk about life, love, and everyday events past and present.

This summer we went on vacation with our family and I was able to spend time with my nieces and nephew and that was lagniappe for me....

Renee
11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The previous incarnation of Delta Queen Company (under the control of Delaware North but sold when Katrina hit) used "lagniappe" as a catch-phrase in their brochures and on-board literature to describe their voyages out of New Orleans.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

For me having all my family tucked in for the night. Everyone safe, and everyone at peace.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Lagniappe

A good marriage . . .
Good friends . . .
Gelato
When the computer works . . .
When both cars run well . . .
No earthquakes . . .
Enjoying good food . . .

I hope these qualify.

Judy
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

That's a French word? Never heard of it!
But I have an example. Last weekend at my son's birthday pool party, seeing him smiling, having fun, surrounded by family and friends, well, it did my heart good to see how far he's come in a year!

donna
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

My brother's nickname!!
My SIL is from Louisana and my brother was born in Houston .

My friend is from Trinidad and when she saw his nickname knew exactly what it meant.

Rollardonna" It is not French Canadian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagniappe
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Admiral

I never heard of the word until I moved to Louisiana and now I love it

It's a way that people make you feel special or blessed..going to one of the many weekend festivals and at the food booth they put a liitle extra ice cream on your peach cobbler
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

I guess this would fall into the category of a "lagniappe". I refer to a non-monetary bonus related to my employment with U. S. Customs (1956-1987). As an inspector and later on in higher positions, I got the opportunity to meet and speak with some pretty important people. Many of them were movie or stage stars, but many of them were in the political and diplomatic fields. One interesting gentleman was John Connelly, whom I met in Vietnam when he was Secretary of the U.S. Treasury. You'll remember that he was in the car with President and Mrs. Kennedy on that fateful day in Dallas. I still have an autographed photo of him and me talking at the ambassador's house in Saigon, which he signed "To my good friend ....." But that's not my lagniappe story.

Back in Bridgeport, Connecticut in the late 50s, I was a lowly customs officer performing the usual jobs of an inspector and marine officer.
At the same time, I was attending Fairfield University nights as I worked towards my master's degree. One Sunday morning my supervisor called me at home to ask me if I'd like to board a ship which was due in the port that afternoon. He told me that there was a VIP on board, and that he thought I should be the one to handle the situation.

When I asked him about the VIP, he told me only that the man's name was Kennan and that he and his family were arriving as passengers on a cement ship from Scandinavia (either Sweden or Norway). Now we didn't see many VIPs arriving via cargo vessel (the ship was carrying a full cargo of cement). I told the supervisor that the only important person I knew of with the surname Kennan was George Kennan (a man whom, strangely enough, I had done a paper on for a graduate class in U. S. Diplomacy. The supervisor said, "Yep, that's him, George Frost Kennan". I almost fainted before telling him that I'd be more than happy to take the assignment.

In those days it wasn't uncommon for people to "rough it" on cargo ships, which were (and probably still are) permitted to carry up to 12 persons as passengers in addition to their manifested cargo. It was considered to be a rather offbeat means of travel for those who didn't mind trading luxury for the excitement of traveling on a real freighter on the high seas.

As I said, I knew who George Kennan was and much of his personal history. For instance, I knew that he was the U. S. Ambassador to the Soviet Union in 1952 (the year I graduated from college and went in the Army), and that he had been declared persona non grata by the Soviets (and sent packing) after making some "unfriendly" remarks about the USSR during an October 1952 trip to Berlin. Just who I wanted to meet! A controversial character who had actually been kicked out of Moscow.

Anyway, I boarded the ship on that afternoon and after doing all the things that a customs officer has to do in clearing an incoming vessel I approached Mr. Kennan and told him that he and his family were free to disembark. He was very friendly and, when I told him that I had written a thesis about him not long before, he insisted that we sit down and chat. Boy, was I excited! Understand, this man was a sort of hero to me based on who he was and what he had done.

So we sat there in deck chairs out on the main deck and chatted for nearly two hours before his wife suggested that it was time to get off and be on their way. It was probably the best discussion I had (and have) ever had, as he told me how he was in Paris shortly after the Nazis occupied it in 1940. And how he later watched the aftermath of the fall of Holland when he visited the Hague (also in 1940) as part of his U.S. diplomatic duties in trying to ensure a peaceful result of the occupation by the Germans.

This gentleman (he passed away just last year) was, when I met him, a member of Princeton University's Institute for Advanced Study. He told me stories that I have not forgotten to this day, including how he was interned in Berlin in December of 1941 after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the U.S. declared war. A truly fascinating man, and I had the opportunity to discuss with him the stuff I had been reading about in textbooks. Wow!

Now I may be wrong, but that's what I would call a "lagniappe" of the first order!

Jack 8) (who's sorry this took so long
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

KimJack...you are right on target that's what the word means..he added quality to your life as a gift

great story
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Wow Jack, I am sorry it didn't go on more. That was good. Did you ever see him again?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Venice.

Luanne, as a matter of fact I did meet Ambassador Kennan a couple of times after our first encounter. But it wasn't until the mid-70s that I saw him again, and that was at JFK Airport in NYC when I was Director of Customs Inspection. I met him at the gate one day when I heard that he'd be arriving from Europe. We talked a bit, and I gave him my business card. A year or so later he gave me a call and invited me to lunch at Windows Restaurant in the World Trade Center. We had another nice, long chat, and that was the last time I saw or heard from him.

Btw, I was just reading Kennan's obituary on the internet. When he passed away last year, he was 101 years old! A tough old bird, I'd say.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Wow Jack!!! Now you have done it. I have to now go and look him up on the net. While I am doing that would you do another person you have met?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 20th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Liagniappe... The spur of the moment trip with DH, DS, DIL, and DGB to the lake! We had a wonderful time. So often we make plans and have to cancel due to events beyond our control. We decided to leave at 10:30 Friday and were on the road by 11:30. And my DGB had her first boat ride... When we hit some choppy water she said "Whooo Hoooo." I think she is ready for the cruise in November!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Captain

I always think of liangiappe (pronounced down here LAN-yap) as a baker's dozen (13 for the price of 12). On cruises I'd say it's that unexpected uprgrade, a bottle of wine in your room from the cruise line, all the little things that many of the crew do that goes above and beyond on a personal level.

At home, it's a bag of cuttings or seeds or day lily splits, hanging on the door knob when I get home; it's my newspaper on the porch when my neighbor knows my sciatica's been acting up again, it's an indigo bunting or oriole in the garden (rare sightings here), it's the beaver family who paddle across the river at dusk, a letter with drawings from the grandbabies.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Ellis kissing me on top of the head as he passes my chair! did I tell you what a lucky lady I am.
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Admiral

it's visiting Ms Magnolia's estate and having real lemonade served with benigets on her expansive front porch in a rocking chair looking at pictures from her last cruise (VBG)
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I always think of liangiappe (pronounced down here LAN-yap) as a baker's dozen (13 for the price of 12).

I'm right next door, but I sure wasn't pronouncing it that way I like the word and I like the meaning. It's important to look for all the small blessings in life. Those are the things that make you smile when no one else is around.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Captain

Venice, come on up! Come in December and when we finish our lemonade (might need to drinkin' eggnog with Southern Comfort by then) we'll plan trips to Fred's in Mamou and Natchitoches (ya'll just try and prounce that if you thought laingiappe was strange), home of Steel Magnolias! (and of course, Natchitoches Meat Pies).

BTW, ready2gonow, how do you pronounce liangiappe?
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
Admiral

O.K.... let me give it a try.. Nachitoches is Na-kuh-tish (or dish?) and I was pronouncing liangiappe as lan-gee-yahpee. Pretty pathetic, huh? The OP spelled it lagniappe and I pronounced that la-nie-uh-pee My FIL was from Marksville/Mansur but none of the language rubbed off on my DH! And only those from LA can pronounce Couvillion.
Mariner of the Seas

Old August 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Admiral

you must have a command of Latin to understand how to pronounce some of our more unique Louisianan words

therefore you should hire former catholic alter boys over 50 to translate for you (VBG)

Ms Magnolia.. the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on in my life comes from your neck of the woods, she's creole and she can cook and I may take you up on your offer so perhaps we can accidently run into her which would make my holiday and you could convince her to take a cruise with me to Venice Italy