Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default You Scared Me!!!!

I was flipping the chanels this morning and I came across a classic horror film, Creature from the Black Lagoon, oh did it bring back memories! Boy this one scared me!

When I was about 6 years old, my sister and her pals were going to the movies, and I wanted to go..She of course protested, my Mother said, "take her!" and we were off to the Oriental theater in Mattapan Square, a palace of a theater. They were showing, I was a Teenage Werewolf, with Michael Landon..Guess where I ended up, under the seat sobbing!

What is your favorite horror flick...classic or new, the one, that makes you look under the bed, and check out the closet.................

BTW..the movie thearters of days gone by, are, sadly, mostly a thing of the past...The Oriental of course ,had an Asian theme..gigantic urns in the lobby, rest rooms with black laquer, beautiful lounge chairs. The sky twinkled as you watched the double feature, and 15 cartoons.The end seats had little lights, and buddah's eyes twinkled spookily over the exit doors! Those were the days!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

My first scary movie was "Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte. " I was staying with my grandmother for a week, when I was about 10 or maybe 11, in Covington Ga. Some of her neighborhood kids went to see it, and of course, I wanted to tag along. Never been so scared in my life.

To this day, when it comes on TV, I can barely get through it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Captain

I can't remember the name of it but I remember watching it with my older sister and she said that I "nearly jumped out of my skin"! :-)

It was in black and white, of course!
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

The Beast from 20,000 fathoms at the Baker Theater in Dover, NJ duing a Saturday Matinee (10 cents). I am not going to say what kind of a town I grew up in but when the monster ate a policeman running away down a Manhattan street there was a standing ovation!!!!

The movie "The Giant Behemoth" scared the crap out of me when I was little. That night I woke up the parents when a tree branch brushed up against the house in the wind. I was convinced the monster was peeking in the window.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Do you guys remember watching the show "Outer Limits" on Saturday afternoon. I also remember that the Twilight Zone came on Friday nights.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Admiral

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES! Wow,,,what a scarey flick!

Ken
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

The" Texas Chain Saw Massacre"..saw it at the drive end with this girl that I really wanted to make out with...it was so scary we forgot to make out...lesson learn was never go to a scary movie to make out
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice, when the remake of Chainsaw, came out, I went to the video store and asked if I could have the chainsaw guy's 6 foot tall promotional cut out..

I made a bubble, that said happy birthday, and that was my husband's big birthday card!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Trip..that was very sick of you !!!..maybe for your birthday he'll take you to the drive in to see the original and make out with you (VBG)
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Captain

I loved Twilight Zone and Outer Limits and Alred Hitchcock, now there was a character!

I think you can still catch Twilight and Outer these days if you want to that is! :-)
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Default You Scared Me

The one that scared me out of my wits was when I was 5. It was Zombies on Broadway. My parents should not have taken me to one such as that at that age. I had nightmares for months after.

crabbie1
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Admiral

O.K., people, we're talking downright scary, right?.....Psycho, of course, the shower scene haunted me for years. Second scariest for me, The Exorcist.
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I suppose it sounds pretty dumb in this day and age, when the horror flicks are scarier and scarier, but the first movie to scare the pants off me was The Wizard of Oz. I was seven or eight years of age when it came out in 1939, and my Aunt Helen (my favorite) took me to see it.

I was doing pretty good until those damned monkeys began flying around the place. That's when I lost it, as I recall. I was terrified, and sought refuge under my seat! I had been a bit frightened when the trees started throwing the apples, but the monkeys really did me in.

I can remember that whole scary scene as if it were yesterday, although I can now watch the film without diving for cover.

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

A friend of mine and I were at a guy friend of ours house. My friend's boyfriend was there too. We watched one of those corny zombie movies that's dumb but still puts you on edge.

While she was hugging her boyfriend goodbye ( we were about 16 years old) I waited in the car and our other friend went back in his house. He stood at his front door wearing a Freddie Krueger(spelling) hat from Nightmare on Elm Street, which had just come out at the movies. All you could see was this dark figure in the door because the light was behind him.

It was a hot night and we had the windows rolled down in my friends car. Without us seeing him our friend hid in the ditch at the end of his driveway and as we stopped to see if anyone was coming he jumped out reached in the window and grabbed me by the throat. I started screaming and couldn't stop, He kept saying it's me Jane it's me.

I think that was the most scared I have ever been. I was sooooo mad at him it took me about a week before I would talk to him again.

Jane
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Default You Scared Me!

The earliest scarey movie I remember is "The Snake Pit." I was too young to leave at home, but my folks never should have taken me with them to see that flick.

Yes, I thought "Psycho" was scarey, too. Apparently, so did Janet Leigh! I read that she said she never took a shower again.

Judy
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

The Fog (the original) and Alien! They both had me screaming out loud in the movies, I scared eveyone around me! Ellis still laughs at me when we talk about it.
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

I'm with Jack on the Wizard of Oz and those flying monkeys! I never saw it in the theatre (I wasn't born when it came out!) but I remember watching on TV in black and white at home when I was a kid, and those flying monkeys terrified me! Pretty tame compared to what kids watch today, but in the 60's that was scary!

donna
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I'm also with Donna and Jack on the flying monkeys. When we were kids we'd go to my grandparents house to watch The Wizard of Oz when it was on tv because my grandparents had color tv and we didn't.
Also, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and House of Wax.....still have a hard time with both of them.
Angela Z.
Old August 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Not far from the Baker Theatre in Dover, NJ was--and is--the State Theatre in Boonton, where in my youth I spent seven summers as a projectionist during high school and college. I started there when I was 14, breaking every child labor law ever written--you could do things like that in New Jersey. It's a neat old 700-seater that served as a vaudeville house in its youth.

Generally, I found the horror films funny--especially those by William Castle, which all had silly gimmicks in them like joy buzzers in the seats, polarizing glasses that you could use depending on whether or not you wanted to see the ghosts, and in one case, luminous thumbs up (or thumbs down) ballot cards that you would hold up to vote on whether the villain should be shown mercy.

But the really memorable one was Psycho, which technically is more a suspense film than a horror film, but which is so well done that we shouldn't split those hairs. If you've ever seen the preview trailer for Psycho, you know that it's as much a classic as the film itself, with Mr. Hitchcock himself taking the audience on a sardonic guided tour of the set. When he gets to the bathroom, he pulls back the shower curtain and you hear the well-known screeching violins from the fantastic score by Bernard Herrmann. During kiddie matinees while we were running that trailer, I'd crank the audio level up just as those violins hit the track to make the kids scream. It was fun. I didn't blow the speakers, but I loved making the kiddies jump out of their seats.

And Jack, as for The Wizard of Oz, it never bothered me, but strangely, it really got under the skin of our oldest son who, to this day, can't watch it because of Margaret Hamilton's truly outstanding performance. He's 33 now. Many years later, Ms. Hamilton made an appearance on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood in a much more benign witch costume to explain real from make-believe. She was known to be very proud of that performance, but also a little guilty that she was the cause of nightmares for generations of people (and not just kids).
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Default You Scared Me

My wife is like Janet Leigh. She will only take a shower if I am inside the house. She hasn't taken one without me being here since we saw the movie.

crabbie1
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:06 AM
Admiral

another one that creeped me out was The Birds,,,does anyone remember that one? And Craabbie I won't get in the shower unless my hubby is home as well. Got to be because of that darn movie.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Not far from the Baker Theatre in Dover, NJ was--and is--the State Theatre in Boonton, where in my youth I spent seven summers as a projectionist during high school and college. I started there when I was 14, breaking every child labor law ever written--you could do things like that in New Jersey. It's a neat old 700-seater that served as a vaudeville house in its youth.
The Baker had the same heritage as a vaudeville house and ended up live theater in the end, which I believe has finally come.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

The Evening News!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

I agree that "The Wizard of Oz" is one scary movie. Another one that really got to me was 'The Amityville Horror"