Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Is cruising the only holiday you do?

Even though I've only done one cruise I'm hooked and am finding the thought of staying in one holiday location for even a week odd. On our next cruise we'll be able to see Pisa, Pompeii and parts of Sicily, this would normally be 3 separate holidays for us.

So, I was wondering do you cruise fans do other types of holidays? AND has anyone run out of places to cruise too yet?
May 2009 - Brilliance of the Seas Egypt and Eastern Med
September 2008 - Serenade of the Seas Alaska
December 2007 - Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
June 2007 - Voyager of the Seas Mediterranean
December 2005 - Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Is Cruising the only Holiday You Do?

We have been on 12 cruises with 13, 14, and 15 coming up in December. I don't think you ever run out of places to cruise. You only run out of money, and some might say, get too infirm! We continue to think about future cruises. We'd like to see South America and Tahiti.

We also take land trips, back to the midwest, and in October, to Arizona, plus local places on occasion.

Judy
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Default Is Cruising the only Holiday You Do?

We have been on 12 cruises with 13, 14, and 15 coming up in December. I don't think you ever run out of places to cruise. You only run out of money, and some might say, get too infirm! We continue to think about future cruises. We'd like to see South America and Tahiti.

We also take land trips, back to the midwest, and in October, to Arizona, plus local places on occasion.

Judy
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We had never taken a vacation until 2001. That was a week long trip to Galveston.

Once we started cruising last June, we can't seem to stop.

Now, I can't even picture us staying in one place for a week.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Admiral

We loved St. Maarten so much after visiting on our cruises, my daughter has suggested flying to St. Maarten next year for a week instead of taking a cruise but I don't know if that would appeal to me. The costs associated with such a trip would be quite a lot more than a cruise...flights, hotels, food, entertainment, etc. Also, if you hit a rainy week in St. Maarten and all outside activities are rained out and you're stuck in a hotel room doing what?
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Except for visiting our grand children, cruises are for us. DH is dsiabled and this is the best way for him to get out and see the world, and not have to do anything but eat and sleep and gamble and see shows and play games etcetc......
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Except for visiting our grand children, cruises are for us. DH is dsiabled and this is the best way for him to get out and see the world, and not have to do anything but eat and sleep and gamble and see shows and play games etc etc......
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Hi
We've been cruising once a year since 2001. I had never cruised before 1998.
This is my annual vacation from work. We usually go in the Fall because the prices are lower. I work in a retirement community and "serve" all year. This is my week to be pampered and "served".

So far, we've only done the Caribbean itinerary because we live in Florida and don't have airfares. However, that being said, another reason we haven't gone elsewhere is because my husband doesn't like to fly.So, we're limited. It would take extra time to drive to NYC, for instance, to go on a New England cruise-but it's not out of the picture.

I have 3 weeks of vacation but 10 days are taken a day or two at time, here and there.

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Admiral

We are definitely hooked on cruising as the best way to vacation. In fact, before I met my husband and he introduced me to cruising, I had never even had a vacation! This summer we also threw in a 1 week land vacation, but the driving nearly killed me! We now have 2 more cruises booked!

donna
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

I must be the odd man out, here. I love my cruises and I'm trying to plan my next one. We have an RV and I love hitting the road in it, as well. I enjoy meeting people from different parts of the country and hearing about their travels. There are so many wonderful places to visit in the U.S. and Canada that can't be reached by water. I like both vacation options. I think both vacation options have a lot of similarities, with the cruise offering a little (a lot!) more pampering. We tend to use the RV at least twice a month and take week long vacations at least 2 or 3 times a year. I haven't figured out how I can cruise that often.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

We've been cruising since 1976, but we've traveled to many parts of the world on land trips since 1970. We've also been to all but a couple states. We're strong advocates of mixing things up. Cruises are great, but there are many parts of the world that you simply can't get to by ship.

We've long since given up on the Caribbean as "been there, done that." We would only go back there if we needed a week to simply warm up and do nothing. Our cruises now are to other places, and we hardly ever cruise without attaching a land itinerary to one end or the other. We're also liable to hop on a plane and go someplace with no ship in sight.
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We had a different experience. We were military all of our adult lives, and not much money. If we went some place like Europe, we moved. It makes a difference if you take everything you own. We then had less money because it is so expensive to live there. When we were in the states, our vacations were going back to our families, and many times, them paying for it.

It is only recently that we can afford to do anything. Cruising happened, and we are not sick of it, so we do it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Admiral

I split my vacation between cruises and music festivals in the islands..next year I get to combine both of my loves with a jazz cruise from Copenhagen to Rotterdam and a jazz festival in both cities
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Our normal vacation is in an RV, usually twice a year with shorter trips every couple months or so. We love it. We're in our home away from home. We relax, sight see and hike to waterfalls if there are any close by. This cruise in November will be our first. I can't imagine giving up our camping to do just cruises. There are so many places to be seen and explored in the states that we haven't done yet. Maybe after this cruise we will just have to work one in ever so often. Give up the RV...no way!!

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Until cruising came into my life skiing was my yearly vacation. Already looking up prices to put one together for December and april. My cruise might have to wait until summer.
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Admiral

We can do 2 or 3 RV trips a year for less than one cruise cost. I hope maybe to alternate vacations. One year take our usual camping trips, then the next year take one camping trip and one cruise. Then one day when we win the lottery we can do all of it any time we want.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Captain

No land vacation compares to cruising for me right now. I just don't enjoy anything as much but maybe one day I will tire of it. I still enjoy seeing the blue waters.

Living near the Jersey shore, we tend to do a week there. Hubby likes the waves.

Karen
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
First Mate

we split our vacation time between cruising and road trips. Living in the midwest we're centrally located so we've been visiting New England, Canada and also to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. We love our road trips and are so happy we don't have to give up one for the other. We did a LOT of trips to WDW when our kids were at home and thoroughly enjoyed those experiences. I just love that we can have a breakfast tab of under $20 instead of what we used to spend when there were 6 of us!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Captain

I love my cruises, 19 cruises since 1982 but I do land trips, too. In 2004, I went to Italy for 2 weeks, which was great.

Next week, I'm going to the Tennessee Fitness Spa for a week, was there in 2002, too. I've been to French Lick, Indiana to the hotel/spa for a week. I love spa weeks but try to find ones that aren't thousands!

I would do more land trips but tend to get lonesome on longer ones if I go by myself so cruising works out better for me. I've always been going to places other than Caribbean, it does not hold my interest, never did.

In '82 I did Eastern Caribbean then '83 Western and immediately went to a transatlantic, Panama canal, Hawaii to Vancouver, Alaska, Tahiti. I go back to the Caribbean but generally to cruise with friends.

I think I'll find more than enough different itineraries to keep me happy!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Although we are addicted to cruising; we take at least one cruise per year, we also own two weeks of timeshare. Cruising is the best bang for the tourist buck but timesharing at a specific location gives you the opportunity to really get to know the culture, people, sights to see, and of course, to try out the local restaurants, in a specific area.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yeoman

I love to cruise, but since my DH doesn't cruise, we have other vacations too. I usually cruise with a few close friends, my husband goes skiing with the guys and then we both take a motorcycle vacation once a year for either 1, 2 or 3 weeks, depending on the destination. We've traveled on our motorcycles to Sturgis South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, NC, The Adirondaks and Catskills, Nova Scotia, but this year we are heading to Prince Edwards Island and on the way back traveling through Canada to Niagara Falls.

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Most of my vacations seem to be on one boat or another. I'll take being on the BIG boat over mine anyday. Less work. HAHAHA

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're off to Malta for a week (flying tonight) our hotel overlooks the harbour and ferry terminal. So, even though I'm on holiday I'll be jealous of everyone on those ships.

Andrio
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Admiral

We do cruises and land vacations. Some destinations cannot be visited by cruise ship. As an example, last year we went to Peru (Machu Picchu, Lima, & Cusco) as a land vacation and cruised Acapulco to San Juan through the Panama Canal, stopping at several ports along the way.

I guess it all depends.
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I have travelled through much of the world which is what go me to do a cruise just to travel in a different way. I take now one or two cruises a year and always take land trips as well, this year will be one 11 day cruise,and two land trips that are outsde of Canada/USA, and we have a week planned again in the maritimes but that to me isnt really a trip.....a trip for me is flying out of country.
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
First Mate

I really cruise for the ship not the destination. There is no way to really have a decent experience of a destination in one day or less. If there is someplace I really want to see and experience, I go for at least a few days. Even with a week or more I am always so conscious of all that I'm missing. Don't get me wrong, I love cruising! I love being on the ship, on the sea, seeing the scenery, being pampered. But I am aware of the limitations.
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

we do a mixture of both,
on average 5 cruises a year and 6-8 land vacations annually

Captain
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
So, I was wondering do you cruise fans do other types of holidays?
We occassionally through in a land trip. But honestly I enjoy the cruises much more, mainly because I always feel we get much better value for the $$$ on cruises.

Land travel (other than going camping) is actually quite expensive when we add in hotels, restaurants, and entertainment costs.

Good example is our transaltantic sailing Miami to Rome in the spring. We'll spend some time in Italy post cruise, but just a few days in Italy will cost more than the 14 day cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, since I started this thread 2 years ago we've got 2 more cruises under our belts and a further 2 booked.

We still do other types of holiday but it seems like we keep coming back to cruising.
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I usually end up doing cruises, because no one I know really does vacation much. So I plan, find someone to go, and away we sail! I think it's the best way to see so much for the price I pay.

Andrio, I've already said this, but have a great time on the Brilliance

*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05