Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I went to New Orleans this weekend

From the outside driving down I-10 it looks pretty good except for the Galleria. Drove around in the French Quarter, I can say MSY has done a good job of cleaning up. If I just awoke from a coma and never knew of Katrina I would think nothing happened now sure it has been almost a year. The big thing that stuck out is all the FEMA trailers sitting in the front yards of the houses. I say Biloxi three months after Katrina and it looked like a war zone. Keep on going New Orleans one thing you got down is the gumbo is great. I went to a bar like Venice suggested to see "When the Levees Broke" but the Saints were playing so the story wasn't showing.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I have often wondered where I would be right now, had I been impacted by Katrina, the way the people of New Orleans were. As close as I live to the coast, at one point, I thought Hurricane Rita was going to wipe me out (it didn't -- it hit further east). How far along would I be in rebuilding my life if I had to start with NOTHING -- no home, no job, no car, no clothing or furnishings? Some have come further along than others, but my prayers are still with all of those who are trying to get their lives back on track.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I'm glad you visited and keep us in your hearts..the irony is that the French Quarter area is on the "high ground" and the flooding had very little impact, so it looks like nothing happened..go 1 mile east to the lower 9th ward and new orleans east and it looks like a bomb hit the entire area

the more people that visit, the better you will be able to understand the devastation, not only in new orleans (due to the water), but missisippi and the western part of the state that was devasted by Rita...

the spirit of the people of this area will prevail, but thousands of people have to try to rebuild their lives because they lost everything
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Admiral

We used to live in Pascagoula, MS in the late 70's and after Katerina hit I looked at the maps showing where flooding had occured andr ealized that the house we had owned is in an area that had flooded from the "Storm Surge". When we lived there we did not have flood insurance so if we had still been there we would be in the same shape as everyone else. We really felt impacted by what happened.

We lived just southwest of Mobile in 1979 when Fredrich hit and at the time lived in a mobile home. We did evacuate and when we came back we were lucky that the trees surrounding our home helped (with the tie downs) keep it up. The marina where we had our small shrimp boat was destroyed and our boat (which everyone had nicknamed the bathtub because every time it rained it would try to sink) was the only boat to survive.

Of course we are now in the area of Florida that had 2 direct hits in 2004, Hurricanes Frances and Jeannie, so we do know a bit of what LA and MS were going thru. Fortunately we did not get flooding and if we had we do have flood insurance now as it is required where we are.

I truely hope that New Orleans does rebuild as much as possible. We had visited many times and it is definitely a city that was full of life.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014