Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Default SFO 49'er Jerry Rice

I read today that he signed a one day contract with the SFO 49'ers so he can retire and go into the Hall of Fame as a 49'er..He is a class act

- when he was a rookie during pre season he dropped several passes including one at the end of a pre season game that would have won it for the 49'er...the press and the public actually put pressure on Bill Walsh to cut him..Have to give credit to the genius of Bill Walsh. He said mark my words, Jerry Rice will be the greatest receiver of all time !!! How right he was

-it's ironic that one of the reasons why Rice was cut from the 49'ers was due to Terrell Owens emerging as the go to receiver..

-Rice also graduated from an historical Black college where he was not heavily scouted by the pros which is why the 49'ers were able to draft him
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Being Canadian, football is not that high on our list of favorite sports.

However, from what I followed in football, Jerry Rice has allways been a class act.

Bill
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Yeoman

Well I am a huge football fan ( never understood ice hockey ) and Venice I agree with you... Jerry Rice was the best I ever saw and T.O. is disgusting. I wish the Tuna would put him on the bench for the season but I am afraid Cowboy owner Jones would have a heart attack.
Glad to hear of the one day contract as he deserves to retire a 49'er.

Regards,
Ben
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW
Being Canadian, football is not that high on our list of favorite sports.

However, from what I followed in football, Jerry Rice has allways been a class act.

Bill
I disagree with that....I too am Canadian, but I love watching the NFL...especially in the fall months where I can sit back in my family room, light the fireplace up and watch in comfort.

I do agree with you that J. Rice is a class act.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
BEACH DOUG

Default BW up to his old tricks.

Testing my memory here... Rice went to Mississippi Valley State University? If he didn't, someone did.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Beach Dog...your mind is sharp as a whistle, he did attend there and set all kinds of records in tandem with his quarterback

for my friends from north of the border...you have a strong connection to the NFL because I am a big Warren Moon fan who was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame this year as the first African American quarterback...When Warren Moon graduated from University of Washington no team in the NFL would draft him at the quarterback position and he went to Canada to play in the CFL and won 5 Grey Cups and then came back to the USA to play for the Houston Oilers
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
BEACH DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Beach Dog...your mind is sharp as a whistle, he did attend there and set all kinds of records in tandem with his quarterback

for my friends from north of the border...you have a strong connection to the NFL because I am a big Warren Moon fan who was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame this year as the first African American quarterback...When Warren Moon graduated from University of Washington no team in the NFL would draft him at the quarterback position and he went to Canada to play in the CFL and won 5 Grey Cups and then came back to the USA to play for the Houston Oilers
For the couple seasons Moon played for my team (Vikings), we knew him as Warren "The DOG" Moon. The team might have set a record for delays of game penalties. He was still a helluva qb though.
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

WOW! That's great! I have to say that my favorite (retired now) SF player was Steve Young! He was great at BYU and greater for the 49ers!! My opinon only!!
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice

Yes, he had a very successfull career with the Edmonton Eskimos....