Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter - Dead at 44

Sad news out of Australia......prayers for his wife and children.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_en_tv/obit_irwin
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Admiral

I just heard this news. How sad!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Admiral

OMG.......how horrible! Definitely sending good thoughts to his young family.....very sad. Thanks for the news, Lisa.

Been weakening of late on the Stingray City tour, the next time I had the opportunity. Now I am back to my original postion.....no way/no how. I know it much has been a hug ray on the GBR that got him, but a nasty sting from those barbs is just a risk I prefer not to take.

We have stingrays here in Florida and when at the beach, we have to do the 'stingray shuffle' rather then take steps in the water to chase them away at certain times of the year. There are many injuries and emergency room visits each season. A serious infection usually follows the sting and removal of the barbs. And these are just little guys/newborns who inhabit the shallows.
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Admiral

I was shocked and saddened this morning to hear of the news. He certainly was an entertaining and informative person to watch, on his shows and The Tonight Show.

I don't think it would keep me from going back to Stingray City, it was such an amazing experience! The news report stated that it's difficult to get killed by a stingray, that by some unforunate occurance, the barb pierced his heart.

How very sad for his wife and two kids. But he was certainly doing what he loved, which unfortunately can't be said for most people! Just goes to show ya, don't wait until you retire to travel and do what you would like to do, you might not make it!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Very sad indeed.
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Steve was always one of my favorite "stars" to watch on T.V. He was "real" and no doubt believed in what he was doing. The world will miss him greatly. Please pray for his wife and children.

Ken
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Steve will be greatly missed! He was a true ambassador for nature. I feel so sad for his children Bindi 8 and Bob 2 and his wife Terri. They will have a very hard time dealing with this. Luckly they have the world and close zoo family to help them. Many prayers and concerns for their well being go out to them. God Bless you Steve Irwin!
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgram
OMG.......how horrible! Definitely sending good thoughts to his young family.....very sad. Thanks for the news, Lisa.

Been weakening of late on the Stingray City tour, the next time I had the opportunity. Now I am back to my original postion.....no way/no how. I know it much has been a hug ray on the GBR that got him, but a nasty sting from those barbs is just a risk I prefer not to take.

We have stingrays here in Florida and when at the beach, we have to do the 'stingray shuffle' rather then take steps in the water to chase them away at certain times of the year. There are many injuries and emergency room visits each season. A serious infection usually follows the sting and removal of the barbs. And these are just little guys/newborns who inhabit the shallows.
All of the experts being interviewed including Jack Hannah say there is little danger from the stingrays and in fact are quite puzzled at this incident.

Tell me did you quit driving because someone got killed in a car crash? Stop cruising because someone fell overboard? Stop flying becuase of plane crashes?

Also consider how many thousands visit Stingray City each year or pet them at Sea World without an incident.

Put this into perspective.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just found out. Very sad indeed. Prayers to his family.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Passenger

Default steve irwin

I liked that show so much. How sad. My 76 yr old mother, gosh me made me laugh every time we watched the show together, she would say..... Why does he wear his shorts so short and tight? I think hes just trying to look sexy, she said. I would laugh every time. She is too funny. How sad though, my heart goes out to his family.
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Boy that is really terrible news.

Complete freak or circumstances it sounds like.

To think all the times he was inches away from a venomous snake or the jaws of some man eating creature.

Its really sad. He had done so much to bring nature into the homes of ordinary sedentary folks.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," say news reports.

Here is my question - almost all of us here have been swimming with the little critters - did you know they could be lethal? My limited research shows they can, but they rarely strike. The poison is an extreme vaso-constrictor - mostly only lethal when the strike occurs near the heart (as Irwin's did).
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was worried how this would effect my kids, because they swam with the rays this past July. We are planning another cruise to do the same. I asked them if they had changed their minds, and both said no real quick.

Is there anyone else who would not do the excursion now?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

We swam with them last year and would do it again.

I am just shocked by the news of Steve's death. Of all the things he "played" with, Snakes, crocs etc. I am stunned to learn of his death from of all things a sting ray.

When we swam with them last year they were so gentle, almost cat like.

Jane
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
First Mate

Default Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter - Dead at 44

Did this happen today? Just got home from work. Haven't had the TV on. There was nothing about it in our newspaper.

That is very sad news. He had so much passion for all the animals he worked with. My heart goes out to his wife and family.

crabbie1
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Actually this occured on Sunday, Sept 3rd.

And I agree about not letting it stop anyone from enjoying the incredible experience of Stingray City!!! Maybe poor Steve should have brought along some squid to feed them as we had the wonderful experience of doing....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
First Mate

" CRIKEY' !!!!!!!!!!
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Admiral

I don't think it would keep me from swimming with the rays again, but it sure would make me evern MORE respectful. Apparently only 17 people TOTAL have ever been killed by a stingray. Striking near the heart (and several news reports said the barb pierced his heart, but I can't imagine how....) was apparently what made it fatal.

When my husband told me this morning that Steve Irwin was dead, my first question was "By snakebite?" My 2nd was "Crocodile?"

Stingray wasn't on my list of guesses, I'm afraid.

Although I am sure he didn't want to die at age 44, he certainly died doing what he loved - making a documentary to educate people about another creature. Apparently he was making the film with his daughter Bindy Sue, age 8. Let's hope that his wife Terri, fellow conservationist, will continue their work.

RIP Steve - you will be missed.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was sorry to hear the news of his death. I never watched his show much because I really can't watch snakes. They give me the creeps. My heart breaks for his family. How sad.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 5th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Passenger

This was indeed a surprising event. I feel for his Family and saddened.
I am amazed at the level of news coverage and am glad they are recognizing him. What an enthusiastic and entertaining and educating person. As someone that is the same age, he was and is an inspiration for doing what you love, and embracing life with passion.
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If you don't happen to subscribe to our newsletter, then by the way you should. Go here: http://cruisemates.com/articles/newsletter/index.cfm

This is what I wrote today:

Commentary by Paul Motter
--------------- * Swimming with Sting Rays - Is It Safe?
We cruisers were especially shocked to hear the details behind the unfortunate death of Australian ecologist and animal lover Steve Irwin. Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman is one of the most popular shore tours ever, now newly offered in the Bahamas and other ports. I have done it three times myself! I even have a picture of my wife and me holding one out of the water, more or less hugging it to our bodies, which we did by encouragement of our guide, who took the picture and charged us $10 for it.

Is it safe? There are now but two recorded deaths by stingray in recent world history. In the wild, stingrays are non-aggresive fish who nestle in the sand of the ocean floor. The largest occurance of penetrating stings happen when people inadvertently step on them, usually in murky water. (The actual barbed stinger is at the top of the spine, not at the end of the tail). A stingray will only use its stinger defensively, if it feels cornered and there is no other way to survive, and only as a last resort, because it takes years to grow a stinger.

Steve Irwin was not merely stung by the fish, he was stabbed in the chest with the stinger penetrating his ribcage, by a large bull ray stingray who felt threatened enough to attack. This is a series of highly unlikely events.

There are some 200 species of stingrays, and Australia is known for having some of the most agressive. Grand Cayman officials point out that their Caribbean stingrays swim into the bay by choice, looking for people they know will feed them. They have been doing it for 50 years now and are well conditioned to the interaction. The waters are almost crystal clear, and wide open so the rays can easily get away. The fish are there to be fed by humans, not to dig into the sand and sleep.

Do accidents happen in Grand Cayman? Very, very rarely. There is one concern officials have there, however, and I am guilty of it myself. They consider the act of lifting the fish out of the water for picture taking by the guides to be cruel and unnatural for the fish, and now we realize, potentially severely dangerous for the people doing it. Given Steve Irwin's record of respect for the natural rights of animals, and given the way he died, it seems the banning of lifting sting rays out of the water in Grand Cayman would be a fitting tribute to the man who gave us so much knowledge and appreciation for sea life.
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Paul,

That is an excellent article. I have to agree that banning the lifting of the sting rays is something that should be done any place that has tours to see them in particular.

It is very sad about Steve Irwin, the one thing to remember is at least he died while doing something that he loved, being with wildlife and trying to educate others.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Irwin will be missed. He had an infectious zest for life that made him very likable.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Captain

Steve Irwin was truly an "unforgettable character" who will be solely missed by everyone who ever watched him interact with wild animals. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

This was very sad. But I have to agree with Doug and say that they are not that dangerous. I swam with them and will again if I get the chance. They are a beautiful animal and one of God's creatures.