Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default The Bubble Has Burst!

Would you buy one home over another if they threw in a free 2006 car?

The real estate market bubble in Massachusetts has burst.....This couple who has had their home on the market for 3 months, in Plymouth, is trying this, after a price reduction brought no offers.

It's amazing how things can turn on a dime. Here, it's a buyer's market, with many 1000's of homes for sale, and no rush to make any offers.

How are things in your area?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

The real estate market in Michigan is probably the worst in the country. Our high unemployment and constant layoffs don't help the situation. The houses on sale in my neighborhood have been on the market anywhere from 6 months to 2 years even with reductions. People are taking major hits even when they do manage to sell.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Here around DC prices have slowed some but this just means the house will be on the market a month or two instead of a week. The folks who were stupid enough to get adjustable rate mortgages to get a super low payment on a gaint house are taking it on the chin big time and there will be some desperate acts from them but other than that its the same old stuff.

Ours has doubled in value in 3-4 years.

With Fed Gods heavy presence here I dont see stuff going down, maybe just slowing or leveling off.

One things for sure, God didnt make any more.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Here in SWFL things have slowed down also. Our house had doubled in value in such a short time it was crazy. Prices are still high but have been lowered. I feel bad for young couples who are starting out. With high prices it's almost not poss to buy a house anymore.

I agree with the statement below when it comes to the adjustable mortgage rates. These people will bite the bulle soon. However I also had read somewhere they just refinance again and again.

We had luck on our side when we bought our house 4 years ago.It was at the right time and price. 4 years ago our lot was $3000 and now the lots in our street went above $100,000. Isn't that crazy?
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Captain

In Louisiana the housing market has been pretty crazy post-Katrina and Rita (you know, the forgotten hurricane). Prices in the southern part of the state, particularly Baton Rouge and Lafayette are through the roof and things have been selling almost immediately. Even in the central part where I live, property sales have been pretty brisk. I look for that to settle down as folks make real decisions about staying.
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

They're still building like busy little beavers in my 'hood.....

(A big however, however): Just had my home appraised, and things are still about 40 percent undervalued here, in my opinion. Even with our dollar approaching the mighty Greenback in value.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Dina,

Just saw on the news last night that the city of Kalamazoo (sp?) is offering every high school graduate a free college education at any state school in Michigan.

Because of this Kalamazoo is growing like crazy, and there is now a huge house building boom.

Dean
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Isn't that a great story? It's called the Kalamazoo Promise. A group of anonymous donors is underwriting the program.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/buy...-boudette.html

I hope when these kids finally graduate that they choose and are able to find employment in the state.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Yeoman

our house has tripled in value the last few years.

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Miracle 12/2008 PLATINUM (Aft Suite)
Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDZONE
our house has tripled in value the last few years.
In Virginia? whats it up to about 40 bucks now? Or would you trade for a few pigs, a healthy pregnant cow and 3sacks of cotton seed!
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

The real estate market in my area (panhandle of Florida) has slowed down a lot. We have 10 listing to 1 sale. Everyone want to sell and nobody want to buy. There is a major difference between last year at this time and this year. I've been with our office (not an agent) for 17 years now and have seen it change so much. Houses are so over priced. I don't see how the ordinary person can buy one. It will change next year, it always does.

Need some cruise help?
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Another Michigander here. In the middle of Automotive country things are ugly... A client who is an agent said houses under $100,000 are moving okay, but those over that price are slow to move. Then there's my boss' old house (he built a new $750,000 monstrosity) which is listed for $300,000 and can't even get someone to look at it!
Now have you heard Home Depot and Lowes and laying off people because no one is doing much home improvement, either?

Kris

Carnival Triumph- 1st Cruise!!
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Yeoman

Default The bubble has burst

We have been in our house for 20 years, but our ds is looking now. Here in Ma. a fixer upper runs $250,000 to $350,000. These kids just keep looking...it's ridiculous. If they cross the border into N.H. pricing is somewhat more reasonable, but property taxes are $5,000 or over. Guess there is no winning in the real estate game: 2006.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

As Scotty would say to Captain Kirk: Cap'n, I canna 'old 'er, she's about to blow!!! There is a multitude of ARMs ready to expire in the next 24 months. The savings rate has been negative for a year and a half. Consumer debt is at an all-time high.. at heights unseen before. The jobs being created are lower paying with less or no benefits as compared to those in the 90s'. Folks, we are on the threshold of one of the biggest financial "bangs" ever contemplated. Hang onto your hats, this ride is going to be a doozy....
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Admiral

In my town with population of about 20,000 we have one subdivision with over twenty brand new houses that are for sell by the builder and another subdivision with over 30 brand new houses for sell. I know of these two and I'm sure there are many more. The builders just keep building and nobody is buying. It's so stupid

Need some cruise help?
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to alviriv

Prices are going down in Tucker and Stone Mountain which are suburbs of Atlanta. I also see a lot more foreclosures. I buy and rehab properties, and I have seen a lot of nice houses coming up in the market in upper middle class neighborhoods where people are loosing them because of bad loan decisions (no interest loans). The market has definitly slowed down.
07/01/2006 Carnival Triumph
10/08/2006 RCI Freedom of the Seas

Old September 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I live in southern NH, about 45 min north of Boston and while things have slowed down in our area and prices have come down a little, houses are still selling pretty well if they are under $400,000.00. You can't really buy a house in our city under $250,000.00 (for a small house or a real fixer upper). Most houses go for $250,000.00 - $350,000.00. Condos are at $175,000.00 and up for anything decent. If its priced right houses are on the market for 30-90 days.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Passenger

Default Burst bubble

This is also the case in Key West. Many, many homes for sale. No doubt last year's hurricanes have made an impact here. Despite that, you will be hard pressed to find even a cottage in Key West for under $500,000. A large part of Key West's problems are associated with having no affordable housing for those of us who work here. A studio apartment goes for $700 plus per month. Elaine