Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A Different Spin

I know the dress code topic has been done to death, disected, flamed, ripped apart, and more.... and I don't want this to go down that path, please....!! BUT.... Here is the different spin....

Would you be happy, if, ALL the major lines said...Ok, EVERY night is casual! Would you actually miss the formal nights, to the degree you define formal in your life?

OR...

If the cruise lines said, "okay, we have decided this is what the public wants, but NO JEANS PLEASE." Could it work?

Would you be happy not shlepping any dressy clothing?[/u][/b]

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I have sailed on many cruises with no formal nights; most recently this past week. I always enjoy it. I take a couple of sports coats and a couple of ties and wear them on about half of the nights.

Now, this doesn't mean that I tolerate slobs in the dining room. No jeans no shorts no t-shirts no tennis shoes....should be the norm. Informal nights, where jackets are required, should also still be regularly scheduled. In fact, it might be worthwhile to have men always wear a coat with or without a tie.

If cruise lines would just enforce their already published dress codes....we wouldn't be discussing this so often. As Kuki mentioned recently, this is also why cruise lines crack down on bringing alcohol on board; some of us ruined it for the rest. If we would just be reasonable....

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Admiral

I could go with the flow, without a problem. On formal nights I dress for the occasion, but if there wasn't one, I don't think I would miss it. I have been on enough cruises that I would be O.K. without one, I think. I do enjoy seeing all the beautiful clothes, but it would be nice to not have to deal with it, as well. Can you tell I am kind of a laid-back person?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default A Diferent Spin

First, I would love it if the cruise lines would enforce the codes they've already made. As Marc said, if they did this, we wouldn't be talking about it so much. With cruising the booming business that it is, I don't think the lines have to be afraid of losing business.

Second, I would love it if they did away with formal nights. I've been on enough cruises with formal nights and one cruise where every night was formal, including first and last nights. The elimination of formal nights would simplify packing, especially for women. A combination of semi-formal and casual would be fine for me.

Judy
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default dress ups

IMO only--While at home we do not have occasions to go formal. Cruising, right now, is the only time we have to go Formal. So keep the Formal, Smart Casual nites etc as they are. Let the passengers do their own policing. They personally know when and what etc is going on. I don't think the Cruise Lines will enforce the rules. If they did it would cause desention with the passengers and probably loose business.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I'm probably the most easy going, laid back type of guy anyone would ever want to meet.

Most workplaces have become casual wear. The only places I ever wear suit and tie are funerals and the occasional big formal weddings.

When you see movies of cruises, Loveboat etc., it seems like a tradition to have to wear a semblance of formal wear. Not necessarily tuxidoes but at least a suit or a navy blue blazer with tie. We have been on only 4 cruises, but we do enjoy having to dress semi formal a couple of times.

Would it bother me if there were no formal nights? No, not that much, but I would prefer a couple nights per week with a of a bit of formalities. It does add to the glamour of cruising.

Bill

There are so few times that semi formal wear is required and since it's like a tradition on cruises, I like it that way.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

You know, it used to be that there were no formal nights on cruises. There was no need for that distinction since every night was white-tie, tails and top hat.

I think the modern proliferation of dining wear regulations has actually made the situation more complicated. More complicated than it used to be, and more complicated than it should be.

A gentleman would bring along his dinner wear, and that was it. No need to decide what to wear, no need to figure out regulations.

But to the question at hand: yes, I would miss Formal Nights if they were abolished. Another element of the elegance of cruising would fall away.

I guess I like traditions!

Dean
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

no matter where you draw the line in the sand, there will be a group of people compelled to cross that line. So the same problem will still be around, what to do about the people who cross the line?
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

Default A different spin

I feel formal nights should stay in place because we are into an era of very casual (ie downright slovenly). In saying that, I used to wear long gowns and dh wore a tux, but now it's more cocktail dresses and suits Two nights we dress up and the rest we dress presentable. I miss my James Bond, oh well.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Admiral

I personally couldn't care less either way, however having said that, I believe that the way it is is probably the best way to have it, and to keep it. On limited formal nights, ie: two during a seven night cruise, those who wish to go formal can do so, and those who break the rules, or wish to eat at the buffet can do their thing also. It doesn't bother me a bit if some folks are around the ship in casual clothing on formal night. They're comfortable, having a good time, and not bothering me at all, and those in tuxedo's are also having a good time, and not bothering me at all. Bottom line,,,does it really matter??
To answer the question at hand, would I book a cruise that's formal every night? If it's sailing to some ports that I really wanted to see,,,yes,,,otherwise probably not.

Ken
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Below is the Carnival dress code from their website and also in the Welcome Aboard book that comes with the documents. I do not see where it states a No Jeans policy in the dining room ( I don't wear them, and it does not bother me if someone else does). How can a cruiseline be expected to enforce a policy they don't have in place?

As with most dress codes, expecially one like Casual Attire, the interpretation is relative to where you live, your upbringing, your job, etc... At the end, it gives a sampling of casual resort wear, but it still does not mention specifically that Jeans are not permitted. Seriously now, are you really going to get upset if someone comes to dinner in nice Jeans and a Polo type shirt on non formal nights?

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Admiral

Jody,

I’ve wrestled with this topic for awhile. I’ve debated it both ways. And I’ve given it a lot of thought.

And I’ve come to a conclusion.

Formal night means formal attire.

And as wild as this is going to sound, a tuxedo doesn’t qualify as formalwear…

By definition, formalwear is white tie, white vest, tails, and top hat.

And so here I am, a traditionalist. One perhaps a bit out of touch with today’s thinking, but one who believes that certain occasions are owed the respect due them.

I believe that gentlemen do not wear hats indoors. I believe that gentlemen remove their hats and stand at attention when the National Anthem is played. I believe that gentlemen stand when a lady approaches or leaves the table.

And I believe that you dress appropriately for the occasion. And that jeans are never appropriate for dinner.

And so to answer your question. Would it bother me if some passengers wore jeans to dinner? Well, yes it would…. It’s a matter of respect. Respect for the occasion. And respect for your fellow passengers.

I hope this answers your question – and I hope this response doesn’t hijack Trip’s post!

Happy cruising,

Dean
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Dean,
I agree that formal nights are formal and if you don't want to dress, then eat on the Lido deck. However, on non-formal nights, it does not specifically state no jeans. I grew up in KY/SC/TN and when you went to a Casual event - Jeans and a nice shirt were typical. I don't wear jeans anymore (too hot for them down here), so this isn't an issue for me, but if you are reading the dress code it gives things that are not allowed (shorts and tank tops), but doesn't mention jeans, then one can reasonably conclude that jeans are allowable. I am only talking about Carnival - I don't know other cruiselines policies.

Jodi
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn1
... doesn't mention jeans, then one can reasonably conclude that jeans are allowable. ....
I agree that jeans are specifically mentioned, but let's face it. There are those who wear jeans and look very nice, and then... there are the others that need to go back and look in the mirror (and change!).

JMO
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13