Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anyone have Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I was just told yesterday that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had a blood test earlier in the week and the results came back.
As I type this I am in terrible pain in my feet, knees, hands, wrists and shoulders.

Please help with any tips you may have with dealing with this. I am 37 years old and as you can tell from my screen name I am a pet groomer, I NEED TO WORK!!!!

Thanks, Jane
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jane...So sorry you have this...My little sister (she's 49) has had it for about 5 years, now...Only thing I know, is that she takes a lot of medicine for pain...She has good days and bad days...If you have any questions, I'd be glad to ask her for you...Take care, Susan
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:26 PM
First Mate

Default Anyone have Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I deffinitly feel your pain. My problems aren't as bad as yours though. I have it in my hands. The first joints on a couple of my fingers are starting to "curl", and the large joints in both thumbs are always swollen and sore. Also, my right big toe.

There are perscription drugs you can take, or the Dr. told me to take a couple of ibuprofen when the are painful. He did "start me off" with a perscription, which were $30 a pill. I only take the ibo. when they are very sore. I have read that taking a lot of ibuprofen is not good for you ?????

Hopefully you can find something to ease your pain. I work with my hands also.

crabbie1
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Captain

doggroomer - I am so sorry to hear about your RA. I too was diagnosed when I was 36. that was 17 years ago. In my case I am fortunate to not have it too bad. But there are good days and bad. Cold and emotional stress make it worse, as does immobility. Some of your best information will be found from the Arthritis Foundation. Check out there address on the internet and start getting their magazine.

I believe the shock at diagnosis and the dread is worse than the day to day living for many of us. I pray that your will not be a disabling form.
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Admiral

DG!

What did your doctor say about handling this condition???

He/She would be the best source of info reguarding this problem???

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am so sorry you are suffering with this condition,and I hope you are able to find a med that will work well for you and allow you to continue working with some freedom from pain.

Liam, sometimes you need to speak to a person who has walked the walk before you, to help you walk. I am walking down a road with no one, so having a shoulder,can really help...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

The nurse told me late in the day yesterday and the doctor has not reviewed the results yet to refer me.

I have always been a person that has taken care of myself. If I wanted to move something I moved it. I could pick up 180 pound dogs and put them in the tub. Now, sometimes a coke can is too heavy. It is a very frustrating and painful condition.

I feel like I have diagnosed myself, I asked for the test. I looked up my symptoms on line and called the doctor and asked them to call in the orders for the test.

Magnolia, your right the dread is worse, I know once I get on the right meds I will be better. But, what will my retirement years be like? I hate to need to depend on my husband and kids to do the things I used to do.

I have been living with this pain for over a month now. Trying to tell my doctor that something is wrong. I guess I'm just frustrated!!!

Jane
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Beginner

I was diagnosed 5 years ago, I currently use Enbrel and Arava. Please feel free to email me if you would like more info, Irene
Old September 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Irenee-- is that you ?
April asking---
If it is I remember when you mentioned that-
I didnt know that it would show up in a blood test ? my mom has arthritis but never had blood work done for it----- hers doesnt hurt but no strength in her hands and its hard for her to eat-----
Everyone take care and do the best you can for yourselves
Cheers
April
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Anyone have Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer

Please help with any tips you may have with dealing with this. I am 37 years old and as you can tell from my screen name I am a pet groomer, I NEED TO WORK!!!!

Thanks, Jane
I fee sorry for you. My wife is 53 she is also a dog groomer, been a dog groomer since she was 18. She has never been tested but she does have a lot of pain. Her hands hurt soo much when she hand scicors a dog. We are lucky in one way we own our own shop and our youngest daughter is going to be the owner when Joy can't work any longer. Caroleann pics up the heavy dogs put them in the tub and on the table.

Joy has had pain for about 15 years. She takes ibprophen amd Authro-tec in a generic form. It is a anti-inflamitory drug. She also can't sleep on one side because of pain. If you want more information please reply and I will have Joy answer your questions. Our email is pv1386@charter.net. We leave for a cruise 9/12 won't return till 9/25.

We will pray for you.

Don Joy's husband
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

RA immune mediated, there fore shows up in blood work. The more common osteo A. is not and does not show up in blood work and is result of aging and joint damage.

RA can show up at any age, including very young ages, Juvinile. It is often genetic as well. It affects males and females.

Treatment used to be with Steroids and NSAIDS, but we have much better drugs now, such as remicaide etc. Through time, you learn what your triggers are, and what you can do to relieve pain. Physical activity is important. Getting dog brushes with good handles help, trust me on that, find ones that fit well in your hands. Also, as you know always work so you are well level with the animal, not bending over as much as possible.

Follow up is important. So it eating well, keeping weight down, getting enough sleep and R and R.

There are usually support groups in most area's that will give many tips and facts as well.

I will think of you in thoughts and prayers.
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank You for all your replies. I would rather learn from others than just by what a doctor says.

Jane