Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Default 15 day cruise to Hawaii

What are your thoughts on a 15 day round trip cruise to Hawaii (out of LA).

Four sea days in each direction. For the people that have done this cruise, did you feel it was too many sea days?

Also, what is the best time of year to go to Hawaii?

What cruise line do you feel is the best for Hawaii?

So many questions.....

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We did this trip last Jan, as a CruiseMates Group Cruise on the Island Princess, and had a marvelous time. Weather was excellent, other than the 1 day leaving and returning to LA.

I'd do it again in a flash!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Just remember that there tends to be an older group cruising when they are this long---
Enjoy whatever you do
Cheers
April
I do love sea days and Hawaii---and not to mention cruising too----what a perfect combination----
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default 15-Day Cruise to Hawaii

It's the days at sea that are so neat!

Judy
Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM
Captain

Default Cruise to Hawaii

We did the 15-night LA-Hawaii-LA cruise on the Island Princess in February 2005. We loved the sea days. We are in our mid-60's, but we felt positively young on this cruise.

We are booked for another Hawaii cruise in October 2007 on the Serenade OTS. Can't wait!
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Admiral

If you are worried about the long cruise to Hawaii, there is a cruise line that cruises Hawaii and only Hawaii. NCL America has 3 ships that sail from Hawaii and only cruises Hawaii. I have not been on any of these ships, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of them. I was doing some research about a Hawaiian cruise and NCL America (A seperate company owned by NCL) embarks and disembarks from Hawaii itself, thus no long crossing of the Pacific each way to and from the west coast.

I did have a friend that took a cruise on the Pride of Aloha on NCL America, and there are pros and cons to the cruise. She told me that these ships were built specifically for Hawaiian cruising and spending lots of time in port, so smaller cabins and not a lot of ammenities. But the ships were nice, modern and well maintained with an all American staff, which is required because these are US flagged ships.

I am planning a Hawaiian cruise for late 07 or early 08, and currently I'm leaning towards doing an NCL America cruise in Hawaii.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Admiral

I agree with Kuki. I plan on doing that exact cruise within the next couple of years. We love the sea days, and find them so relaxing, and all the activities planned while out to sea make them extra nice. Sure beats the hassel of dealing with the airlines and flying out to the islands.

Ken
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

For me the cruise from the west coast is best. Flying to Hawaii from the east coast makes for a very long day. approximately 12 hours flight time not counting time to change planes on the west coast. I would rather fly 6 hours to California and sail from there. Much more relaxing.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Hi

We took Royal Caribbean 'Serenade of the Seas' May 2005 from LA to Hawaii, I loved the 4 or 5 sea days, it ave me time to enjoy everything and nothing because as soon as I hit the islands we were off. This was an 11 day trip where we disembarked in Honolulu then flew back, but wow what a flight as we flew to Tampa via Dallas, not sure I would do that again in a hurry. Most cruise lines only visit the Hawaiian Islands as a detour via Alaska, I know Norwegian are basing at least one if not two ships long term.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Beginner

My husband & I took the 15 night r/t on the Island Princess in November
of last year. I can truly say it was the best cruise of the 18 we've taken
so far. I am 50 and my husband is 49 and most of the passengers were around our age or older but there were some families with children but they were in the minority. We made some wonderful friends on board and the best part is that if youre the least bit rambunctuous the crew gets to know you and have fun with you too! (In fact they nicknamed our little group the YA YA's and after a while thats what we were called all over the ship by everyone!!) Go for it. You won't be sorry.
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yeoman

Well I am in the distinct minority here.
I have done this RT cruise to Hawaii also. I thought the sea days were outstanding going to Hawaii.
However the return trip to the mainland left me very bored !
I would have preferred to fly back all night.
Different strokes !

Regards,
Ben
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Did this cruise on Celebrity Summit in April-May 2006 and would do it in a heart beat. Love the sea days and Hawaii.

Looking at Radiance for October 2007 round trip.

Old October 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Well, guess I'm the minority, I thought it was too many days at sea, but that may have been because this was my first trip to Hawaii and I think it actually would have been better to take a land based vacation. (I know, I know, GASP!!!)

We're also doing a 14 day cruise to Alaska, but I think this will be different because there are so many beautiful things to see from the ship (so I hear!).

But I guess it depends on your own personal preference...either way, we still had a great time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Wait....let me get this straight. Outside of the "Titanic", what's a BAD cruise?
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique
Wait....let me get this straight. Outside of the "Titanic", what's a BAD cruise?
In a word......Costa.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Hi I haven't been on this cruise but I have done some research. Celebrity, RCI and Princess have cruises to Hawaii from LA or San Diego. Only Celebrity and RCI cruise past Kilauea Volcano and not all the cruises on these lines cruise past the volcano. I have not been but I have heard from people that one of the highlights for thier cruise was Kilauea Volcano. I have cruise Celebrity to Alaska and was disappointed in the activies they planned. I would not want to spend 4 at sea days without anything to do. We are looking at RCI cruise to Hawaii. Hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Only Celebrity and RCI cruise past Kilauea Volcano and not all the cruises on these lines cruise past the volcano.
We were on the Island Princess in February '05 on the LA-Hawaii-LA cruise, and we DID sail past Kilauea volcano. We passed the volcano about 3:30 A. M., and there were lots of people on deck with their video cameras (including me). There were also waiters walking around peddling cocktails.......they never miss an opportunity, do they?
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We are thinking about Hawaii to, there are pros & cons to both type of trips
I have not been to Hawaii, but we are considering flying to La or San Diego, cruising to Hawaii and flying back to the mainland to spend some restful days in California before flying back to Florida. We have family in CA. so it would be a break for the long flight to the east coast.
We will see.
Carole 8)
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
First Mate

HAL also sails fifteen-day r/t cruises to Hawaii from San Diego. I took the cruise last October and plan to repeat next November, because it was just wonderful! No jet lag to deal with, nor foreign airports, etc., and cruising the NaPali Coast and Kilauea Volcano was a real highlight. I suppose it all depends on how one deals with sea days, but I love them -- forced relaxation of the kind I never get on land.
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
Quote:
Only Celebrity and RCI cruise past Kilauea Volcano and not all the cruises on these lines cruise past the volcano.
We were on the Island Princess in February '05 on the LA-Hawaii-LA cruise, and we DID sail past Kilauea volcano. We passed the volcano about 3:30 A. M., and there were lots of people on deck with their video cameras (including me). There were also waiters walking around peddling cocktails.......they never miss an opportunity, do they?
Hi pootersdad,
My favorite cruise line is Princess. Granted I have not been on all of them. But I glad to see they cruise past Kilauea Volcano. My warning still stands check with Travel agent or cruise line to be sure your cruise sails past Kilauea Volcano because not all of the cruises do. Hey did you get an Under the Volcano Martini I had to look for a volcano drink.
2 oz. Mezcal
1/2 oz. Martini & Rossi Vermouth
Jalapeno Stuffed Olive

Combine mezcal and martini & ross vermouth in a cocktail glass filled with ice and stir. Garnish with the jalapeno and stuffed olive.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Hi pootersdad,
My favorite cruise line is Princess. Granted I have not been on all of them. But I glad to see they cruise past Kilauea Volcano. My warning still stands check with Travel agent or cruise line to be sure your cruise sails past Kilauea Volcano because not all of the cruises do. Hey did you get an Under the Volcano Martini I had to look for a volcano drink.
2 oz. Mezcal
1/2 oz. Martini & Rossi Vermouth
Jalapeno Stuffed Olive

Combine mezcal and martini & ross vermouth in a cocktail glass filled with ice and stir. Garnish with the jalapeno and stuffed olive.
No, I didn't have an "under the volcano" drink. At 3:30 A.M., it was a wee bit early for a drink. Now, if I hadn't gone to bed yet, and were still partying, it might be a different story.....
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Default 15-Day Cruise to Hawaii

I live in CA but have never cruised to Hawaii! It's one of the things we've talked about but just never got around to doing. If I did, I'd want the Princess one that has five days at sea to get to Hawaii, five days touring the islands, and five days at sea getting back. Need those sea days!

Judy
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments. All the positive comments makes me want to take this trip even more!