Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default World Cruise Anyone

I was just dreaming about cruising by going to the different cruise web sites. Saw the Pacific Princess, and saw that it has a cruise that goes around the world. 120 days Up to 41, 000 dollars.

Are you someone who has done this, or could you be, if you had the time and money?

I'm not so sure about me. That is a lot of days on a ship. It is also a small ship. 800+ passengers.

What if you woke up one morning, and realized that the service was crappy, and you had 99 days to go.

What about this. If you put all your cruises together. Have you circled the world?

Just a thought........
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Admiral

We are already planning for the 2014 World Cruise. Friends of ours went on a world cruise in 2005 and are leaving on the 2007 world cruise in a few months. Other friends did a 93 day circle pacific last year and the 62 days circle south america.

I think long cruises are the way to go. A great way to see the world. Also, you aren't pressured to always be on the go. Our longest cruise has been 19 days but we are really looking forward to the day when we can take longer cruises.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Marc, Do you have a ship picked out for the world cruise? Can I have the name, so I have something to research?

Thanks,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

If I could afford it I am sure I would love a long world cruise. Just being on a ship is happiness for me. There are many parts of the world I have wanted to see. I think a world cruise would be ideal for me.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

We have not circled the globe continous on a cruise ship, however we have done it on segments. Yes I would love to cruise around the world. Mostly are 101 to 105 days. We have been on the old R-1 ships, which are small compared to the mego ones in service now. We were on the R-1, Renaissance cruising from Bangkok to Athens for a total of 52 days. It was wonderful. We love the smaller ships. You can meet and remember more people. The larger ships do not fit into our realm very much.

GO FOR IT.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have done 7 1/2 months on a ship before. Mine was painted gray though, and we spent most of the time in the Persian Gulf. The service wasn't very good either . If I was retired, and had the $$$ I would defiantly enjoy a world cruise.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Luanne, I really like Regent Seven Seas. The last few years, Seven Seas Voyager has been doing the world cruise. If you go to their site at www.rssc.com and click on World Cruise at top, you can learn all about it.

All of the reports from my friend who went on the 2005 World Cruise are consolidated here. http://www.bkrssc.com/2005_WC_Marcie_Diary.htm

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Thanks Marc!!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default World Cruise Anyone

If I could afford it, I'd certainly go on a world cruise. I don't care for mega ships, either. But I'd pick a bigger one with more amenities, such as the Grand Princess or the Golden, if they did world cruises. I've sailed with Princess so much that I know the service would be good.

Judy
Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I cruised on the Renaissance, R2 and R4 and really enjoyed them. They are still my wife's favorite ships. They had all of the amenities that we enjoy, except that the entertainment was pretty poor. You don't have the mega-ship activities and if you are looking for a Carnival or RCI atmosphere you will be bored but I think it will be good choice as long as there are not too many sea days strung together. I found them very relaxing and PERFECT for a port intensive cruise. We actually loved the intimate lounges and the open seating dining. The balcony cabins are about the same size as a category B Princess cabin on a Sun Class ship.

These ships are identical to what the Tahitian Princess is. The R4 was bought by Princess and converted into the Tahitian Princess. It was either the R4 or R3. One is the Tahitian Princess the other is the Pacific Princess.

I wouldn't hesitate booking one. I actually am looking to book an Oceania cruise as soon as I am able. They have three of the Renaissance ships and have "heard" that they have improved the product. I'd like to see for myself.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

Oops delete this
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Captain

I'm with Mike on this one, smaller ships are great! I'm going on the Royal Princess for 24 days in May for the Med and I cannot wait, same size as the Pacific Princess!

I think I'm doing the world in segments!!! :-) In 2007, I get the Med and Holy Land, in 2008 I'm looking at a cruise going around So. America and then across to Lisbon. I've already done Tahiti to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver twice, Panama canal twice, New England, Iceland/Greenland,
Alaska, two or 3 transatlantics.

I need to get the Asia cruise in plus Australia and New Zealand!

I would consider a world cruise, definitely on a smaller ship, but more than likely I'd purchase just a segment. I just have certain goals in mind seeing many different places and not repeating ports over and over.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I would like to do the shorter cruises, and one day cover the world, but just reading all the ports on the Pacific made me tired. Something like 42 in all. I wonder if people do excursions in all of the ports. See now I am tired just typing it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

Sorry!

I had three boxes open with cruisemates threads, I posted in the wrong one! I feel like such an idiot.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil_Sis

Marc---I am losing my cruise virginity on December 4th, cruising the Eastern Caribbean on Voyager. I rarely see a post anywhere on the site regarding this ship, and when I saw where you mentioned Regent, I had to hope..... Can you give me advice as to what to expect, what to avoid and what you consider "dont miss" items/events? It is a 7 night trip, and although my sister,(cruise virgin also), and I have excursions booked, we just want to be a bit "in the know" about Voyager when we board. Thanks in advance!!

"If I could save time in a bottle....."
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Captain

Hey, Luanne, I let you know how I feel about port intensive after my B2B in the Med this coming spring, 24 days total.

There are some sea days but several times there are 3 or 4 days in a row with ports.

I'm a sea day kinda gal so it will be interesting but places I really want to see and that's what the Med is, port intensive.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Admiral

LiL Sis, Voyager is a wonderful ship. A couple of words of advise since you have never sailed Regent before.

First, you will be on one of the last cruises before Regent goes all inclusive. However, you can still order cocktails and after dinner drinks in dining rooms at dinner without paying for them; not just wine.

Second, take advantage of ability to special order food items; you just have to make orders 24 hours in advance. Some of our favorite special orders are racks of lamb, grand marnier souffles, lobster tails (either as side dish or extra appetizer), and dover sole. In addition, my wife has a standing order for Cinammon Ice Cream which is available to her at any restaurant for lunch or dinner even if not on menu.

Don't miss tea, it is always wonderful. I am partial to trivia so I am always there.

Balcony is great for Constellation Theater; you can sneak out if you don't like show without anyone noticing.

If you have any particular questions, let me know.

F Scott Fitzgerald