Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Would you skip town to avoid imprisonment in a Mexican Jail?
YES 18 72.00%
NO 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Default POLL: What should DOG the Bounty Hunter do???

So the latest is now that they have removed the ankle tracking device from the Dog so he can attend some sort of meeting in New York. Here's the latest question!! If it were YOU facing imprisonment in a Mexican jail where you probably won't survive due to your line of work, would you skip out when you get the chance?? Lord knows I would! Anything can happen in those places....I'd rather be in ANY US jail than at the mercy of the Mexican police there....

This is more of a "what now" question than re-visiting the original "terrible" thing that he did....just curious.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:39 AM
Admiral

Check out the google ads that appear at the top of this subject.

Give me a break.

Since the topic of Dog Chapman appears on this thread, ads collecting money to rescue his rich a$$ appear as if by magic.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:07 AM
Admiral

Jean,

Every decision we make comes with consequences. Some are beneficial, some aren’t, and some don’t matter.

Dwayne “Dog? Chapman has made some decisions. And he of all persons would be fully cognizant of the consequences of his particular decisions.

It’s been my observation that governments get particularly testy when foreign nationals come into their nations and ignore their laws. The cowboy mentality has its appeal in our nation it seems, but doesn’t appeal to the rest of the world.

Chapman made a decision to go after a fugitive. He understood this was in direct violation of Mexican law. He went anyway. And he brought to justice a particularly reprehensible person.

In my view, he made a good decision. A decision that benefited the world at large. But that decision carries with it consequences.

And he needs to do the honorable thing. Face the consequences of his decision. Anything less is dishonorable.

At the same time, he needs to hire the best defense attorney he can get.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Should someone be punished for making the wrong decision for the right reason? If the wrong way of doing the right thing makes the world a better place, is that something we all can live with?

Ah yes, things to ponder. And who ever thought I’d be pondering Dwayne “Dog? Chapman? And what does it say about our state of affairs when what we have to ponder is a cowboy bounty hunter?

Dean
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Great post, Dean. Unfortunately the world is not as black and white as some people would like to believe it is. There is a lot of injustice in the world, and it's nice when someone deals out their own sort of "justice". Not to say I am for shoot-outs in the street with people dealing out their own form of revenge (we already have a lot of that problem in L.A.!),but he certainly did a good thing for the world.

It sure would be nice if he could work this out and not be extradited to Mexico and then not have to live his life as a fugitive. He is a good and brave man, as far as I am concerned....

I'm sure he and his family are holding their breaths until the hearing in November...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Admiral

Everybody is freaking out for no reason. The guy in question has fame and lots & lots of money. He will not spend a second in a Mexican prison, courtesy of the "Famous Persons Act".

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Wow, I'm a little surprised that 167 peeps have viewed this topic, but don't want to answer the poll?? I know it's a tough one, but I'm really curious...

Personally I think my life would be worth more than risking the possibilty of spending it in a Mexican prison when anything can happen....but on the other hand, who wants to be a fugitive for the rest of their life??

I think the whole thing is a cryin' shame....other people have been pardoned for worse crimes, why not for taking a raping monster off of the streets???

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Will Dog stay and face the music? My guess is yes, he won't do any time and if he skips he can kiss his show good-bye. Heck, he would have to "go after" himself in an upcoming episode .

We have had similar cases like this in Canada example: 25 years ago, bounty hunters from Florida came to Toronto to nab an embezzler who skipped bail. He was a Canadian citizen, I believe, who had been living and working in Florida for a long time. The upshot was the bounty hunters grabbed him and sneaked him back across the border. There was an uproar with the result the embezzler was returned to Toronto and the bounty hunters were charged with kidnapping and extradited to Canada to stand trial. As expected, they were allowed to plead out and I don't think they did any time. Another case happened in 2004. To my knowledge, bounty hunting is unique to the U.S., a quaint throwback to the wild west perhaps . While noone wants to do time in prison, if Dog goes to a prison in Mexico he would undoubtedly be sent to a decent facility...Mexico is civilised and mindful of bad PR.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Admiral

I've also noticed that he has toned down the "scruffiness factor" in his appearance for the new season..... clean shirts and trimmed facial hair.... trying to look a smidge less felonious. His handlers probably had a good long talk with him during the off-season, knowing this incident was due up soon.

from twelve, he's down to 10.5 on a scale of ten on the scruff index.

Old October 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Admiral

What if the situation was in reverse and a Mexican Bounty Hunter came into the US to pick up a criminal?

Would there be an uproar? My best bet is YES. We live in a country made up of laws. Not laws made up according to Dog.

Good or bad, we live in a country made up of laws. When someone takes the law in his own hand, he commits a crime and as the saying goes: "If you commit the crime, you got to do the time".

Dog brought this criminal to face justice in the US. It's obvious that he did this for self interest the MONEY. While the criminal was in Mexico, he wasn't committing any crimes in the US. It was up to the Mexican authorities to extradite him.

As to the question: "Would I skip town to avoid imprisonment in a Mexican jail?". My answer is that I wouldn't break the law and wouldn't be face with the situation.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to wrathofgatts

"What if the situation was in reverse and a Mexican Bounty Hunter came into the US to pick up a criminal? "

what if a bazillion mexicans were here ILLEGALLY? oh yeah they ARE!

how dare mexico bring up the law when their president doesnt give two $hits about breaking our laws a BAZILLION TIMES. It's like a serial killer telling someone not to shoplift, GIVE ME A BREAK.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Hey Wrathofgatts:

I see this is your first posting? Welcome to CruiseMates and your contribution.

The question I asked was : "Would American authorities allow a Mexican Bounty Hunter to come into the US to pick up people?"

I would imagine the Mexican Bounty Hunter would be breaking an American law if he picked up people in the US. If he broke an American law, wouldn't it be right to prosecute him?

If an American Bounty Hunter goes into Mexico and break one of their laws, wouldn't it also be right to prosecute him?

I can understand your frustration of a "bazillion mexicans" being in the US illegally. However, I may be wrong and I'm often am, this is really another subject.

Bill
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to wrathofgatts

Bill,

If mexico cared at all about upholding laws (both their own and ours), and did so regularly, you would be totally right... what I'm saying is they cannot just pick and choose what laws are important to them (kinda like what your saying about dog). they can't allow crazy child prostitution and call illegal immigrants hero's and then say "HEY YOU BROKE OUR LAWS!" their laws have become meaningless, not to mention there is no doubt in anyone's mind that what he did was a morally good thing. so bottom line? there are exceptions. there are exceptions to illegal immigrants, child prostitution etc... there damn well better be an exception to an american catching a rapist, who wasn't even a mexican citizen... if dog didn't catch him, the mexican government wouldn't have done a thing to track him down, they need to realize this and drop THIS SPECIFIC case... it is sooooo ridiculous!
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Hello Wrathofgatts:

I live in Canda and wouldn't have the insight of someone living in the US. I haven't heard of any Mexicans illegally entering Canada.

As far as I know, Mexicans entering the US illegally don't break Mexicans laws, they break US laws?

I just can't help feeling DOG's motivation for doing his thing is for money and not for something morally good. Be it as it may, I just don't think DOG has the right to break laws, be it Mexican or American, to increase his TV ratings and financial gains.

I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Wednesday. So, if you want to further the discussion, I won't be able to respond for a few days.

Bill