Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default On a Serious Note..Thanks....

As we turn the calendar page, and enter October, [I cannot believe it!] I just wanted to remind everyone, October is breast cancer awareness month.

As a 3 time breast cancer survivor, I just wanted to remind the ladies to get a mammogram, And, to all the men out there, please tell your Mothers, wives, daughters and sisters, to go get tested. I would also like to say, we are our own best health adovcate. I was, when others wanted to go down a diffferent road, and I am here today because of that..If a red flag goes off, act on it...Please.....

No responses needed, just a reminder..do me a favor, and do yourself one too...Thanks

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Admiral

I know you didn't ask for replies, but I just wanted to say that I am thankful that you are a cancer "survivor", as is my DH! Thank you for passing along the awareness.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Also a reminder to the men, they also need to be aware of breat cancer for them selves. While it occurs at a far lower rate, it does occur and more than one may think, usually a lump is felt. Sam's father had it, and it was awful for him. Very few resources for men with breast cancer, and the resources out there are often shared sitting in a room with women..........You can better believe at the time, it never even occured to him he can have breast cancer.

Trip my respect goes to you.
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

My wife's a survivor too, and this is something worth keeping in mind. She found the lump herself, so she's another poster child for self-exams.

Seems a lot more worthwhile than September's claim to fame, which I just found out was Menopause Awareness Month. I am quite serious. You can look it up.

I have never known a woman who was going through menopause who wasn't aware of it. And I've never known a man who was attached to a woman going through menopause who wasn't aware of it.
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

My best friend is now going through chemo and amazes me each day that she is such a tough broad (her words!)
Angela Z.
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks for a very timely and important reminder Trip. I just got the "all clear" after months of worry and uncertainty following a mammogram and a follow up ultrasound. I may breathe a sigh of relief for now, but I won't let my guard down! Thank goodness you didn't either!

donna
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Donna thank you for reminding us of this all important thing. I admit mine was not done this year yet. Tomorrow morning I will make my appointment.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Trip,

You are so very right about the value of regular mammograms.

My girlfriend of many years is a cancer survivor. And 3 years ago, we celebrated her 5 year anniversary of being cancer free.

And then it reared its ugly head………

She assumed that with 5 years cancer free came no more painful mammograms. On her 5 year anniversary, we partied like rock stars to mark the momentous occasion. And then for some reason, she thought she should have one more mammogram just to be sure.

And when I examined the enormous X-Ray of her breast for my self, I couldn’t see anything. After the doctor handed me a magnifying glass, I could just barely make out something.

It was almost beyond visible. But it was there. A microscopically small dark spot. According to the analysis, it was far smaller than a pin head. But it was there.

It lay there like a wolf in the sheep’s pen. And it was taunting us.

The unthinkable had happened again…….

When the doctor explained that cancer had invaded our lives again, I got sick to my stomach. She on the other hand, asked what we needed to do to beat this enemy once and for all. The doctor said that since the cancer was so very small, that it would be removed, and no chemotherapy would be needed. There would be 6 weeks of radiation to follow, and that would be it.

And so, we’re cancer-free for 3 years, with 2 more to go to reach the milestone.

And I can’t help thinking about that X-Ray technician. The man whose eyesight was vastly superior to mine. The man who saw evil where no evil should exist. The man who saved my girlfriend’s life.

We never had the chance to meet him, but we owe her life to him. Some underpaid technician who looks at X-Rays all day.

A technician who is a hero to us, and those who love us.

Dean
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

thanks for the reminder Trip.
and on that note... It is wise to get a complete physical once a year.
Both dh & I do this on or about our anniversary date.
Carole 8)
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

You are right and this is something that ALL women should take seriously and perform regular self examination on themselves and also have a regular mammogram.

If something doesn't feel right check it out!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Captain

Thanks for the reminder and for sharing, Trip! Very important, and for men, too!

They had a feature on the news yesterday about men and breast cancer, very informative and I did not realize that fact either.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the reminder trip!!Im amazed and glad to see all of the breast cancer survivors on cruisemates!!My birth mother,however,was not as fortunate as all of yall!!She passed away from breast cancer in 95' at 30 years old!Because of that,I always get checked at least once a year!!And everyone else should too...just to be on the safe side!!And being that October is breast cancer awareness month,you can bet ill be sporting all of my pink ribbon apparel!!