CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   The Earl of Sandwich, Bless Him! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/321674-earl-sandwich-bless-him.html)

Trip October 6th, 2006 12:13 AM

The Earl of Sandwich, Bless Him!

I just got finished watching a local Boston show called Chronicle...a great diversivied show, tonight, they spotlighted new restaurant openings.

One place was called the All Star Sandwich Shop...a wonderful place with all the favorites to choose from..but, "NO WRAPS." no way not there...!

It got me thinking to when my Mother and I would take the train into downtown Boston, we would eat lunch at Woolworths lunch counter...Why there? I could get a toasted chicken salad club sandwich..:):) I still have fond memories of that...:)

So, what is your favorite sandwich? Does your area have a special sandwich? I have heard in Pittsburgh, they have a sandwich you put french fries on...be still my heart!

Cruznut2 October 6th, 2006 05:31 AM

My favorite sandwich is tuna, solid white tuna made with Hellmans mayo, onions, pepper and a bit of thyme on a multi grain bread with a slice of provolone or swiss cheese. served with chips! When I was a kid I used to put the chips on the sandwich. Served with a nice cup of coffee..........yum!!!

Laura

Angela Z. October 6th, 2006 06:52 AM

Fresh mozzarella, really good tomatoes, basil with a balsamic dressing on a nice Italian roll....yum....now I'm hungry for it.
Angela Z.

VTJen October 6th, 2006 07:54 AM

I love Thanksgiving Dinner - but even more I look forward to the next day. Turkey Sandwich.
Left of turkey, soft white bread (the kind that has absolutely no nutrional value), Hellmans Mayo (the only kind I will eat - and full fat), and salt. Once in a while I even like it with a piece of iceburg lettuce. Nothing fancy - just simple.
My second favorite - BLT - lots of Hellmans - same white bread, not toasted.

Sea Trekker October 6th, 2006 08:01 AM

My favoite as a kid was peanut butter and jelly.
Now that I'm adult I like the Monte Cruisto.
It is ham, turkey, with swiss & american cheese. Battered in egg, deep fried, powdered sugar and rasberry jelly on top. Along with tall ice tea.
Also, like any thing with fresh (not can) tuna. yummm, like a steak.
Carole 8)

rollerdonna October 6th, 2006 08:26 AM

I'm with VTJen, the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas, I always enjoy a turkey sandwich, on soft white bread, with Miracle Whip mayo and also some leftover stuffing stuffed in there! Mmmmm!

donna

Trip October 6th, 2006 08:51 AM

When I was a kid, my sister had a friend my Mother called Tunafish. EVERY time she came over, she pleaded with her to please make her a tuna sandwich. Any other mayonaisse but Hellmans was against the law in our house, and this is why this kid loved them so much!

Carole, the sugar and jam on the Monte Cristo, is that a regional thing? I have never seen them served that way around here....

DougR. October 6th, 2006 09:29 AM

There is only one kind of sandwich around here. It is called a Hoagie (sub to the great uninformed masses or a hero to the odd folks from New York City). For me it must be roast beef with lettuce, tomatos, onion and hot peppers dressed with oil vinegar and oregano. The crustier the roll the better.

CruisinK n J October 6th, 2006 01:34 PM

The Earl of Sandwich, Bless Him

BLT, toasted on white, and of course, the mighty hamburger!

Judy

katlady October 6th, 2006 01:46 PM

Nothing beats a French dip on a real baguette. hard outside and soft inside (the Bread) with Au jus sauce NO CHEESE just tender, tasty Beef. Served with big fat crispy steak fries!!! When is lunch :-P

Desdemona01 October 6th, 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela Z.
Fresh mozzarella, really good tomatoes, basil with a balsamic dressing on a nice Italian roll....yum....now I'm hungry for it.
Angela Z.

wow--that sounds amazing!!! I might prefer it with swiss, though, but mozzarella works. HAL has a mozzarella and tomato salad that I love.

I also love Rueben's, but without the corned beef

Trip October 6th, 2006 03:38 PM

If you take some great pastrami and cheese, on light or dark rye, wrap in tin foil, and bake till the cheese melts, then top it off with a nice cole slaw, you have a YUM!

Does anyone else add sliced cucumbers to a toasted white tuna sandwich, as a change from tomatoes? Ok, I am really getting hungry!

Sea Trekker October 6th, 2006 05:05 PM

Trip, to answer your question, the sugar and Jam on the Monte Cruisto might be a local thing. I know that Bennigans here in Florida makes it that way. Check it out in your area.

I also like a good Philly cheese steak hero, but have not gotten any in Florida, and it is to far to go to PA for one.
Carole 8)