Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cruise Focus Group

Many years ago, with a local manufacturer of baby products, I got the womens group I belonged to into a focus group for new products. They wanted our viewpoints as Mothers, on safety, colors, new designs etc..It was very interesting.

Wouldn't it be great if the cruise lines decided to do the same thing. I bet we could give some intelligent view points on existing situations and suggest many good ideas, we have heard over the years. New ideas, that would make us all happier cruisers. Ideas on menus, excursions etc, or whatever we have deemed changeable, over our years of cruising. They may even have this type of focus group already.

I do have to say, if I was lucky enough to participate, I would ask why, why, do the lines duplicate ship names. How many Freedoms, Jewels, &
Legends does one industry need.....Just my P.O.V..but that would be a good start........What question or change, would you like to see implemented?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Admiral

I would ask them to consider turning down the volume of the music, and announcements around the main pool area. Loud, perhaps, but able to hear it on the next ship over, not necessary.

Ken
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise Focus Group

I would ask them to enforce their dress codes.

Judy
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I would like to see better security.
Children should be supervised.
They can be a real pain in the A** when runing around and causing noise in the halls late at night.
Carole 8)
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Mam,All the above!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
Admiral

I'd like to tell Celebrity to stop bumping up the price of their drinks every year. For pete sake's, April 2005 a beer was $3.50 plus tip and April 2006 in was $4.50 plus tip. Ridiculous! This is more than nickel and diming people! Same thing with the price of a Latte at Cova Cafe.

I'll be on the Century for New Year's and the 2 day BTB ... and that may be it for future cruises with them.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would ask them to rotate their ships more often. People in Florida would probably love to cruise a different ship, and those of us this way, feel the same way.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

All good suggestions, but I think my top would be:

1. Enforcing the dress codes;

2. Better security all around

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Cruise focus group

I so agree with you, Trip, about ship names and the sameness of all the lines. Guess not much time was spent in the executive board room regarding naming ships. On Crown Princess they have a special security force for young people. They wear yellow shirts and are early to mid twenties, very effective. Let's have the executives (Princess) sleep on the beds before the passengers (beds weren't firm, they were downright hard).
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Admiral

They had the same thing on my last Princess cruise----teen security -- the ship was small -- the Regal Princess but there wasnt any problems with anyone---- cant same the same for my RCCL cruise where kids rang our door bell late a night----- I was stopping by the cabin and saw security in the hall way---at least they responded pretty fast to all the calls that they were getting----
I agree with you Jane -- raise the price and I drink less------ make them more affordable / reasonable and I'd buy more----- I do alot of comparison shopping----- lol----
How about same service-----or at least a higher standard---for all
April
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Admiral

From time to time I've been involved in commissioning focus groups, and have spent many hours on the other side of the two-way mirror watching and listening to what people had to say.

I think you can take it to the bank that the cruise lines DO commission focus groups as part of their marketing efforts. I think it's also very unlikely that people who post on these boards would ever be selected to participate. There are two reasons: first, the mathematical odds of any individual being asked are very long. Second, it's likely that in the prescreening process, most people here would be eliminated as "caring way too much." In other words, they're not much interested in hearing from those who are self-described "obsessive" cruisers, and they have ways of weeding most such people out in the prescreening. People with "insider" perspectives aren't considered representative. This applies not just to cruising, but to any subject of a focus group. It's standard practice. Another reason they don't like people with "insider" perspectives is that their breadth of knowledge about the subject leads them to dominate the discussion and screw up the group dynamic. When people like this do wind up in a focus group you can spot them in an instant.

Here's one example of why they try to hold down the "insiders": on this chit-chat board over the last days we've had a thread about "Why is it that so many people don't even know the name of the ship they were just on?" This question acknowledges that an awful lot of cruisers aren't paying overwhelming attention to the ship's name.

And now we have this thread about a hypothetical focus group in which CM posters would strongly suggest that the cruise lines pay far more attention to ship names, and to rotating ships on various itineraries so that people who sail to the same places all the time could get on different ships.

I'm not saying these issues aren't valid for the people who express them, i.e., self-described obsessive cruisers, but that such a sample would be fatally skewed and invalid--in this case because there seems to be some evidence that a significant proportion of cruisers (and probably the majority) don't give a rat's petoot about the name of the ship they're on or whether they've been on the same one before.

That said, you can be sure that the lines do pay a great deal of attention to things like the names of new ships, and they do what they do for very good reasons--to them, at least. One of those reasons may be to intentionally create confusion among consumers by giving a ship the same name as the competition. Whatever the reason, you can bet that it isn't accidental when it happens.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Admiral

AR, Thanks for your input. I have never been involved in any sort of Focus Group, but I find it interesting that Focus Groups (in general) would not want someone with an inside perspective. Very interesting. And I agree, decisions are not made accidentally, but with definite agenda in mind!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Gee, I guess that would be me

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Gee, I guess that would be me
..... If the show fits, wear it!

(Couldn't resist )
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Yes Mam,
I agree.If the shoes fit,run out and buy a few more pairs!