Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Tenmark Amen and Iam not going to walk into a bar with drink in hand however ship has a captive audience and I would be curious if Kuki,s bar charges more than competition or is his bar the only game in town so anything is fare game as for what is charged the consumer?My entire point is give us a decent price and I will buy your product.
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's stealing, bringing my own liquor onboard. Sure, my actions might be in the gray but it's not black and white stealing. I'm sure you know that.
No argument from there Mark. It is a grey area, not out and out "put your hands up" stealing

Quote:
True, fairness is subjective but the reality that cruise ship drink prices are high is apparent to most consumers. And that says a lot.
It's obvious to most consumers that most automobiles are way over priced too, and probably a couple billion other consumer products

Even though I've made my living selling booze for 30 + years, I rarely drink, except for a fu fu drink in the sun perhaps... and honestly have never understood the tremendous attraction of alcohol, so it's perhaps difficult for me to get a grasp of what makes a few extra dollars for drinks such a "hot topic". After all is said and done, if you take a 40
oz. bottle with you (producing 40 drinks), and therefore didn't "overpay" $2/drink... that's only about an $80 difference in the total scheme of things. I'm not sure if that's worth all the hoopla.

I also certainly don't insist I'm right in this discussion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and entitled to express it here (as long as they do so with respect to one another).

As I've said before until the last decade (perhaps), the cruise lines sold bottles duty free in their liquor stores. They ended that practice when a large number of passengers began mixing their drinks and taking them to the ship's lounges and disco's, and it became a control issue.

The latest round of well exposed shipboard incidents in the media the past couple of years are also almost always related in some way to alcohol brought onboard by passengers... like the Absinthe in the "George Smith incident". i.e. people bringing their own liquor onboard, jumping or being pushed overboard under the influence... and then suing the cruise lines.

I think there's WAY MORE to this entire discussion than simply the price of a drink.

But, at any rate Mark... I'll be more than pleased to buy you a drink on the Century, and talk about it some more
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Iam not going to walk into a bar with drink in hand however ship has a captive audience
This isn't quite true. Of course once you're on the ship they are indeed the only game in town. However, they don't drag you on kicking in protest.
The equivalent to choosing a different bar to go into is choosing a different cruise line.
Quote:
and I would be curious if Kuki,s bar charges more than competition or is his bar the only game in town so anything is fare game as for what is charged the consumer?
I'm in a city of 1,000,000 people so obviously LOTS of bars for people to chose from. Honestly, I have no idea what other bars prices are, even the ones physically closest to me that would be considered my competition. I set my prices to offer what I need to make a profit, and hopefully attract enough customers to do so.

I used to own another bar right around the corner as well. There I charged significantly more for the booze than I did in this bar because I was importing some pretty costly bands each week, therefore my expenses to operate were considerably higher there. I chose to simply raise the prices of the products I sold, rather than charge a cover charge for admittance as many places do when offering "brand name" entertainment.

There are many factors involved in making all these business decisions. Ultimately when a business makes those decisions it is they who live with the consequences.

Reminds me a bit of the old joke about the retailer who sold all his goods below cost. When a competitor asked how they could possibly do it and expect to stay in business he said... we make it up in volume.

[/quote]
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Do not think they are charging below cost.Noone is asking them to do this.
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Yea, Kuki. I mostly agree. Moreover, I'm looking forward to visiting with you again and sharing that drink with you!! It's been awhile.

I always appreciate differing opinions and angles on a thing - even as trivial really as this one is. Hell, It's not about being right for me - just about sharing my perspective and hearing some others. I like people to disagree with me otherwise I might disenfranchise myself from learning something.

You know, I've come to realize, that if you really wanted a cheap drink on the ship - at least as cheap as they come, you just go to the venues where they're free. There's usually no shortage of those events...

M.
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Admiral

$5.00 for a bottled beer $7.50 for mixed in the upscale clubs and eateries around here is about the norm. Sure there is some grumbling, and some contraband even, but folks seem to pay it. There isn't even the overhead of a band in most places... (just a DJ, and I know those guys don't get a band's salary, with the exception of one guy).

So seeing $4.50 on a ship for beer is fine by me.

As for draught, I've seen some inported brands in the Pubs on Princess... Guiness springs to mind..... and I wish I had tried a pint actually. Couldn't care less what they charged me for it, either. MGD works fine for me as a substitute, since I do like draught beer, and I'm not driving.

On our last Princess cruise, I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon for I think it was $30 bucks, brought it on board and consumed it in the hot tub at midnight for our anniversary. (Or most of it, I don't remember....) The same bottle on board would have fetched $200 I believe at the time, so that is my one scoff at the law.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Beginner

Cool, Pizza the Hut!!!

How did you smuggle it onboard? How long ago was that? A thirty dollar bottle of that stuff is about 70% off - Nice Score.

M.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM
First Mate

you should have no problem in placing wine in your pull behind bags or place in bubble wrap in the middle of your checked baggage.You should have no trouble with a reasonable amt of wine I have never had any trouble and we have brought on 4 bottles on all cruise lines.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Sorry to correct, it's "Pizza the Hutt". Glad at least somebody saw the movie.

We just brought it back in a bag and walked onboard. They didn't say anything. You make me feel so "unclean" now.... a smuggler..... golly.

Old October 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Or else Pizza is going to send out for .... you!!

Seems easy enough. All eyes are seemingly on you when returning from an excursion so I've never smuggled stuff in that way - usually just stuff it in inside my checked luggage.

Cool.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Mark>

We bought the bubbly in Martinique. French products are quite cheap there, but you have to venture out of the tourist area. We found a booze shop that served the locals. This was in 2001 so perhaps Princess has re-thought their policies since.

We thought we'd give it a try... worst case scenario, they give us the bottle after the cruise. Either way, we end up saving a bundle. Such a bottle is a good $200 back home.