Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Why do you choose to cruise for your vacation?
I usually cruise to tropical locations because I love the sun. 22 20.75%
I cruise to see the world, I think it is the most convenient form of travel there is. 49 46.23%
I don't care where I cruise, I just love the ships for food, service & entertainment. 35 33.02%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Captain

I'm definitely cruising to see the world and to me, cruising is a great way to do it! I did a 2 week land trip in Italy where we drove all over, it was fun but I won't do it again real soon! :-)

I enjoy sunshine, swimming, etc. but it gets old fast as do the ports in the Caribbean. I made that decision in 1983 when I was in my 30's after my second cruise!

I did a Western, then Eastern and moved on to a transatlantic, Panama Canal (2), Hawaii to Vancouver (more than once), Alaska, Tahiti to Hawaii, another transatlantic, New England cruise, yet another transatl. with my real goal of Iceland/Greenland, you get the picture! :-) I've also done a 16 day land trip around Europe, on/off the bus, won't do it again!

Next year I'm doing a B2B in the Med, Barcelona to Athens and Athens to Rome, which does include 2 stops in Egypt (which someone mentioned).
In 2008, it will be So. America, Chile to Brazil and Brazil to Lisbon.

I decided early on cruising was a great way to see lots of different places and just didn't think the Caribbean was it! Cruising with friends, like a group cruise, I'll do it but spending money to see the Caribbean when I could see something new, nope not happening!
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Admiral

I would love to say that I cruise to see the world and exotic locations; however, since I started cruising in 1996 I have not had the job where I can get away for longer than 6 days, nor have I had funds for a cruise & flights;
since I live in Florida, I try to cruise once a year; I can get to any of the ports here in no time; so now I cruise strictly by schedule; what is the best boat/iteniary I can get for 4/5 days; lately it has been the EOS; in the past it was Imagination. I also cruise during hurricane season, because I have been to all the carribbean ports of call, so it is like gambling, I might get a suprise and go somewhere not on the interniary.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Why do I Cruise?

There are many reason but two basic scenarios. Let's start with the "take the kids" vacation. It is a self contained vacation where I can enjoy myself, enjoy time with my kids and they can enjoy themselves in Adventure Ocean. It has been said but you pack and unpack once, don't have to worry about where to eat, don't have to drive for a week, enjoy some excursions in cool places and evething is included but drinks and tips. As a single dad with two boys, we are not shoppers but enjoy fun in the sun.

Now as a single person cruising without kids, it is a great way to meet girls. The single girls always outnumber the single men. Everyone is there to have a blast and leave their inhibitions at home. Unlike a hotel vacation at a beach resort where everyone comes and goes at different times, everyone boards together and is there for the duration. If you are in a hotel, you may see a hot chic by the pool one day and then never see her again. She may check out, go out to eat at a restaurant somewhere else or run off with the pool guy. All of your entertainment is there, you can walk from disco to piano bar to the pool deck.

Now, why do I go? I like the sea, ship history, days at sea are the best, the ship is a destination in itself.

Where do I go? Living in Florida I have driven to every port. No airfare to pay. I love fun in the sun and have not worn out the Bahamas and the Caribbean yet. I am in all my glory being around the pool all day socializing with my new friends, participating in the belly flop, working on my tan and hanging out at the pool bar with like minded people.

Alaska? Too cold and would have to add airfare. Europe? Someday. Trans Atlantic? Would love to. But for me right now, there are enough options out of Florida into the sun to keep me cruising twice a year. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Passenger

I am looking for an experienced small tour company to book cruises with.[/b]
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
That sounds good. Pity it doesn't do Egypt.
Still just have to wait and take another cruise to Egypt.
Just came back from Egypt, we saw it from Silverseas, which goes to all the main sites from the Red Sea. It was great - see my lead article. One advantage os you also get to see Petra which is just as amazing. Plus their upcoming guest speaker & guide is Awass, the foremost Egyptologist of this decade.

However - if you want a Nile river boat I heard the Sofitel is a good one.

I have to say, I was surprised at the amount of and great condition of the Egyptian ruins in Middle Egypt.
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Captain

We cruise to the Caribbean to enjoy other lands. In my 22 years in the Army I saw a lot of Europe and will one day go back for a visit, but for now it is a time for just me and my lovely bride of 27 and 1/2 years.

John 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Where's the choice for "All of the Above"???
I selected the middle answer, but the reality is that I usually take at least one cruise to "someplace warm" in the winter or early spring and another cruise that goes to a new destination sometime in the summer or fall. For 2007, for example, I have booked a cruise to the "Sountern Caribbean" aboard MV Galaxy on 22 January and a cruise to the "Eastern Mediterranean & Black Sea" aboard the same ship on 27 October. Of course, the truth is that my all time favorite desination on a cruise is "At Sea"....

Norm.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Hi All!

Really a great poll! We started cruising in earnest in 95. Since then we have done a dozen or so. What keeps bring us back? Accessibilty!

My sis who is now 51 has been a quadriplegic since she was 9. My parents are now in their mid 70s and I am just lazy! HA! There is no better way to have a relaxing vacation AND see the world than a cruise.

As with most disabled, my sister has extra "luggage" that we have to tote along (not 2 mention an electric chair for onboard and then a manual for shore trips). As stated previously, to be able to unpack once is a blessing to her but especially for our Mom. Of course, the ships now are totally accessible, which is a far cry from the SS Oceanic in '86 (oy, the bulkheads!). Of course, Linda (sis) can't get up to the sports deck but she is not really into b-ball or topless tanning, so it doesn't matter :-)

Ports have really gotten better at being accessible as well. Plus the people we have got to know in the caribe have been the best. I.E. Because of a tide change while we were on tour, I have seen 6 guys lift Linda, in her chair, 10 feet up from the deck of a water taxi to the dock. Just amazing!

So many ports now have accessible taxis and lifts & ramps are showing up everywhere.

We are doing the baltic jun 08 so now I get to research northern Europe for great accessible shore tours but that's why we cruise. For linda to visit the cities we port at by land would be a monumental task of planning and logistics. On a cruise, I contact a few people for our tours and everything else is taken care of.

Please help me spread the word. Most handicapped individuals know that ships are very accessible but islands and other countries are too, if you know how to look. It is hard even on the mighty internet to find good reliable info for people traveling with disabilities but it is possible and more people should know. i.e. this past Christmas my sister was in her chair in the bow of a motorboat, cruising the intercoastal of Costa Rico seeing sloths, iguanas, bats, flowers that make channel #5, all the great things that everyone should be able to experience.

Oh, and one other thing....sea days sounds so desolate, like your marooned on a raft. we have always called them ships days. days to explore the ship and find your own special nooks and connect with crew.

and yes, once again I have rambled on. hope no one minds. I really don't have a life except when I cruise!

Take care,

=D=
7/29/99 Sun Princess
6/16/00 Oceanic
11/2/00 Sovereign/Seas
12/17/00 C Victory
4/27/01 C Spirit
6/7/01 Jubilee
09/26/02 Imagination
3/14/03 Summit
11/3/03 Century
12/18/05 Summit
12/18/06 Constellation
04/18/08 Westerdam
06/26/08 Dawn Princess

103 day at sea...so far

Free Cruise Tickers
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yeoman

I'll take all 3.
I've cruised with my family and with my friends and also traveled quite a bit. Here's a "MOM" perspective on cruising.
1. I don't have to cook
2. The kids will eventually find something they like to eat (even if it's pizza, hot dogs and ice cream)
3. I don't have to pick up after anybody
4. My kids are contained. I don't worry that they will take off.
5. The family is all together with no cell phones, computer,friends (except for the ones they meet on board)
6. Their horizons are broadend and they are exposed to different cultures.
Now, that being said, a more serious side is that my oldest has a form of Autism called Aspergers. We have found that the motion of the ships calm him and he is the best on a cruise.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ever since since I was a kid, I loved geography..I could immerse myself in a book, and travel the world, So, when I started to cruise, the Caribbean was my choice...

And I guess the Carribbean will be forever destination. Due to my limitations, I canceled the CM transatlantic I rebooked a 10 day
repo from Boston. Less walking and sunshine is my destiny, and Carribean will fill the bill. Not a bad thingI do so enjoy, the exotic ports on the southern itinerary..I will add that to my list for the next booking

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator