Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Why do you choose to cruise for your vacation?
I usually cruise to tropical locations because I love the sun. 22 20.75%
I cruise to see the world, I think it is the most convenient form of travel there is. 49 46.23%
I don't care where I cruise, I just love the ships for food, service & entertainment. 35 33.02%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Where and Why Do YOU cruise?

People are all different, and obviously there are many different reasons to choose a cruise for a vacation. We just finished a poll that said the Caribbean was "been there, done that," so, if you are one who feels that way, what do you plan to do now. Stop cruising, or go elsewhere?

Personally, I don't cruise for sunshine. I hail from Phoenix and I rarely miss the sun. And so, I admit, a Caribbean cruise is not my first choice, though I won't turn down a good deal, either. But if I lived in Buffalo, a cruise would sound really good right now.

But, the reason why I REALLY love to cruise is because it is the best way to travel and see the world, in my opinion. IN Europe, South America, Asia, etc., what could be better than unpacking once and taking your hotel and restaurants with you? Ships are by far the best way to see the world, especially if you choose a cruise line that spends up to three days in places like St. Peterburg Russia.

Most of the premium and luxury lines are all "traveler" and "enrichment" focused now. They go to exotic places, offer outrageously interesting shore experiences (fly a MiG? Fire a Kalishnikov with a Russian General, African Safaris to Mount Kilimanjaro...). Yet, even the "mass market" lines like Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean are going to Europe, Asia and South America these days, with port intensive itineraries and great value on the prices.

That is what cruising is all about for me. No, I don't enter the belly-flop contests, nor do I purchase at art auctions. But I do take shore excursions in every port, and I do go to the specialty restaurants on board.

This is a simple 3-question poll. Either you cruise to get a dose of sunshine, or you cruise primarily as a means of travel, or you cruise to be on ships, and you don't care where they go.

So, please answer, as an individual, the main reason why YOU take cruises, based upon your cruise history and what you would like to do in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise to see the world was my answer

Of course at this time the only area we are cruising is the Caribbean. For a couple of reasons.

First being cost, we do have to watch how much we spend on the cruise, especially if we want to be able to purchase anything, and of course we are able to drive to the ports of departure.

Second, ports visited. So far on 3 cruises we have only been to 2 port more than once. On up coming cruise out of 7 ports we will only be going to 2 out of 7 for a second time.

Hopefully in time we will be able to cruise to others parts of the world.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think it is interesting that the "I just love the ships" crowd is in the majority right now. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't explain why the Caribbean is so slow, or else you would be there at these prices.

Here is a theory, is it because there has been so much negative publicity lately about people going missing, listing ships, rogue waves, fires, etc?

Could it be the first-time cruiser is disappearing? That only regular cruisers are coming back. Have we reached a saturation point in the total vacation market? Or will these cheap prices lead to a whole new slate of first-time cruisers (like what happened after 2001) and this period is just setting us up for another round of explosive growth?
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I will give a personal perspective.

I am in a position where my travel options are now limited. A cruise ship is the perfect choice for my wife and I. It gives us the ability to see different areas of the world but to also have a convenient home base and floating hotel to work from that provides excellent accommodations, food and entertainment.

The downside is that we have become burned out on the Caribbean and have a limited time to see many parts of the world and want to use the time we have to see things and places we haven't seen before, even if it is for the short period of a port stay. A cruise satisfies these requirements plus gives me the enjoyment of keeping me on the ships that I love.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Definitely to see the world. In addition to the Caribbean, we have sailed through the Panama Canal, Europe on a couple of occassions with one more booked, Alaska, French Polynesia, Southeast Asia, and a North Asia cruise booked for next year.

Of course, the ship is definitely a destination of its own; how else can you justify a Trans-Atlantic crossing with no ports.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Interesting, I see we are now neck & neck. How many out there are like me in the sense that a sea day is sea day, and one is enough. At the end of two I have had enough. It takes a VERY interesting ship to keep me amused for more that two days at sea. I've had a nap, checked out the library, watched a few good movies (all stuff i could do at home).

No, I am much more in tune with the "floating hotel" concept myself. But HEY, don't get me wrong. I know plenty, usually MOST people say they love the days at sea the most. They don't often say why, but they love them.

I have crossed the Atlantic twice, and even sailed 10 days at sea from San Francisco to Polynesia. By the end of that leg EVERYBODY was ready to hit land, and I think the crew pushed the passengers out of the way to get off the ship ;-) (not really - the staff captain held us back). Funny thing, it was on one of the Marquesa islands in the South Pacific (featured in the second Survivor series). And there was nothing there, not even a road. A beautiful beach and jungle, but after a few hours everyone was ready to leave again - next stop Bora Bora. Everyone was like, "c'mon, get onboard so we can go...."
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I cruise for different reasons at different times in my life. When I am up for travel and sightseeing, I think that cruising is the best way to do it....I've been to the Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Canada and New England so far.

But there are times when I take a vacation when I am just so tired and need to relax and rejuvenate....these are the times that I will choose an itinerary and ship that I have been on previously and just chill out for a week.
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Here is our thoughts on cruises

We cruise to see the world, the ports, the customs and diversity of people.
I like ship board life to relax in between land adventures.
Since we live in Florida, I don't care if I get a deep tan.
Some day there will be Europe, the Baltic, & Asia.
Cruising with family is the best vacation for the money.
Our family is all over the country and Florida is a gate way for us. The ports are with in driving distance, so we go to the Caribbean as often as possible.
Carole
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Familiar Face

We started cruising late in life. I had always wanted to take a cruise so booked the western caribbean. We liked it so much, we did the southern, then the eastern. We decided from there we would like to see as much of the world as we can, so did the full transit Panama Canal, then Hawaii, 2 land trips to Alaska. We now are booked for the Med cruise in May. I did a land trip to Greece years ago and really want to go back there.

We have always wanted to go back to the Caribbean but with so many other options we just haven't had a chance due to vacation and finances. Also, spring is our time to vacation.

I love the sea days too. It gives us a chance to just relax and not be pressed to see all we can in port.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Admiral

Many of my 40-something friends rolled their eyes when I referred to cruising as "travel".... so I no longer do. It is a vacation.

Travel is wandering places like Costa Rica or Cuba for a month, meeting the locals, seeing the little sights, something which never appealed to me. I don't even do the shore excursions anymore, except if it's to a nice beach. Shore excursions are never long enough to do more than a cursory visit to a port of call, anyways.

Cruising has everything I could ever need, and then some, right on the ship. I just like being on the ocean.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Cynic:

You can give people the line that I do when they roll their eyes about cruises as "Travel". Would you rather have the chance to see the a place in the world,for one day, or sit in your chair and scoff at others who get out of their chairs and go for it.

Cruises do not give you the immersion into a culture but they do give you the chance to experience something you have never experienced before and that's better than sitting on your rear.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Admiral

I'm one of the (so far) minority who cruises for the sun and sand of the Caribbean. Maybe that's because I live where there's 6 months of winter. My favourite days on a cruise are the sea days when I can just totally relax on a deck chair in the sun, let my mind wander and my body relax. I cannot explain the rejuvenation I feel with the warmth of the sun.
And paradise? Floating in the turquoise sea under a brilliant sun. That's why I cruise!

My husband would say cruising is about the ship, and the sea, as that's his passion. And both of us love the food and the entertainment too.

I always tell those who are considering a cruise, it's the BEST vacation for a woman because you don't have to do anything but pack. No cooking, no cleaning, you don't even have to make your bed! And if you ;have kids, even they are well taken care of. It's the perfect "escape" vacation!

donna
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Whoah! tough call between 2 & 3.
We definitely want to explore the world, it is way to convenient for us, but oh, all that food, service & entertainment.

However living in Southampton UK just 6 miles from the port, I think we'll have to go for option 2 "I cruise to see the world, I think it is the most convenient form of travel there is".

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Beginner

The best way to see to world and also to explore places that one might want to return to...Of course being on a beautiful ship, pampered by the wonderful crew and fattened by fabulous food is not bad either.

Bob and Marla
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Beginner

I have backpacked the world from 1947 until 2003 when my health declined. During the last 30 years, as a quid pro quo with my wife, in exchange for my backpacking, I promised to take her on regular cruises to the areas of the world I had been or was going to. Since 1977, we have taken 41 cruises. During these cruises, my wife has been to 97 countries and all 7 continents. My travels, both backpacking and cruiseing have taken me to 145 countries and all seven continents. I am 77 and my wife 66 and we intend to continue cruiseing for a long as our health permits. Obviously, neither of us are interested is 7 or 10 day cruises although we have taken several to the caribbean. Most of them have been 15 days or longer with many extending to 30 and 35 days.
Our next scheduled cruise is a trans atlantic crossing on a Celebrity ship
which will take us back to Ireland, England and France in April of 07.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm between 2 and 3. I mean, I don't enjoy cruising ANYWHERE in the world (brr...you can't even swim in the pools on an Alaskan cruise), but I like the fact that it's an all-inclusive vacation, a travelling resort. I get to journey to many places on a cruise (so that I can brag to my mates when I return that I went to 7 different countries ). The entertainment is different everyday and so is the food; and it just feels so much better when you don't have to pay a la carte for it (even though you paid for it already in the fare)!
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising

After our first cruises from Aruba and then Miami we vowed never to cruise from at least Miami again..EVER too much of a hassle... Then the cruise industry discovered "homeland cruising" and we were hooked.. A few years ago we discovered trans-atlantic cruising and last year...exactly one year ago today...we had the most exciting adventure of our lives.. We left from Barcelona and visited Malaga (a jewel), Corsica (looked forward, but disappointed), Villafranche, Porta Delardo, Nassau and Ft. Lauderdale and best of all Tuscany from Rome.. Many are places I could never afford to spend a week there with the exchange rate.. The itinerary had included ports that I was very excited about.. and places I'd never been that sounded :"interesting"..I can tell you at this very moment that exactly one year ago we were in Orvieto in Tuscany..a place I had never heard of.. but to my dying day I will never forget the excitement of standing in the square opposite the church and breathing air that was so clear and so crisp. the wonderful sights I took in. I had never heard of Orvieto or Multipulciano or Pienza...but I see them now..In Malaga which was just going to be another port we visited Mijas. which the driver told us about and the white washed buildings, the little shops made me fall in love.. Back in Malaga by accident we found a tiny street restaurant in what I judge would be a short cut or an alley...fresh sardines and calamari...and a walk along their boulevard.. Our next cruise will be trans-atlantic next December only because there three ships going to Casablanca and the Canary Islands..Casablanca, Tangiers and Agadir...What memories, sights and sound await us.. I cruise because I love to meet people whether in ports or on the ship.. Having been a housewife for 51 years I look forward to being served, having wonderful meals, somebody to pick up after me in our cabin and the chance to find another adventure before it's too late..The last port on our trip last y ear was Nassau and I knew my decision never to do the Caribbean again was right....too many cruise ships.. too many tourists all at the same time.. There are places to see and new adventures left for us.. and I hope as long as we can that I can find itineraries that call me.. Yes, we have spent a week in Cartegena, Peru (macchu picchu), Venezuela, etc.. and now still there is Morocco and the Canary Islands calling me.. As somebody said, I think it was Mame.. .....life is a banquet and many people are starving... lol
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising

After our first cruises from Aruba and then Miami we vowed never to cruise from at least Miami again..EVER too much of a hassle... Then the cruise industry discovered "homeland cruising" and we were hooked.. A few years ago we discovered trans-atlantic cruising and last year...exactly one year ago today...we had the most exciting adventure of our lives.. We left from Barcelona and visited Malaga (a jewel), Corsica (looked forward, but disappointed), Villafranche, Porta Delardo, Nassau and Ft. Lauderdale and best of all Tuscany from Rome.. Many are places I could never afford to spend a week there with the exchange rate.. The itinerary had included ports that I was very excited about.. and places I'd never been that sounded :"interesting"..I can tell you at this very moment that exactly one year ago we were in Orvieto in Tuscany..a place I had never heard of.. but to my dying day I will never forget the excitement of standing in the square opposite the church and breathing air that was so clear and so crisp. the wonderful sights I took in. I had never heard of Orvieto or Multipulciano or Pienza...but I see them now..In Malaga which was just going to be another port we visited Mijas. which the driver told us about and the white washed buildings, the little shops made me fall in love.. Back in Malaga by accident we found a tiny street restaurant in what I judge would be a short cut or an alley...fresh sardines and calamari...and a walk along their boulevard.. Our next cruise will be trans-atlantic next December only because there three ships going to Casablanca and the Canary Islands..Casablanca, Tangiers and Agadir...What memories, sights and sound await us.. I cruise because I love to meet people whether in ports or on the ship.. Having been a housewife for 51 years I look forward to being served, having wonderful meals, somebody to pick up after me in our cabin and the chance to find another adventure before it's too late..The last port on our trip last y ear was Nassau and I knew my decision never to do the Caribbean again was right....too many cruise ships.. too many tourists all at the same time.. There are places to see and new adventures left for us.. and I hope as long as we can that I can find itineraries that call me.. Yes, we have spent a week in Cartegena, Peru (macchu picchu), Venezuela, etc.. and now still there is Morocco and the Canary Islands calling me.. As somebody said, I think it was Mame.. .....life is a banquet and many people are starving... lol
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although our first 4 winter cruises were to the Caribbean (split up by an Alaska cruise/tour), we have branched out to N. Europe (this summer) and will go to Mexico in Jan. We also plan cruises to the Med, Aus/NZ,S. America and the "other" S. Carib. itinerary, since we've already done Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas out of San Juan. As you can see from the list below, we have not duplicated cruises, although some of the ports were the same.
I have met people who do the same Carib. cruises over and over and are totally happy doing that. We want to see as much of the world as we can while we can. At 62 and 65, we are not getting any younger.
Cruising is the best vacation for us. We love the carefree aspect and being waited on, fabulous food, entertainment, service, excursions. Feeling safe while doing it all is another plus. We are counting the days till 1/29.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Captain

I cruise as a complete escape. My dress-up, make-believe world. Where I go out to a 5 star restrauant every night and am treated elegantly. Then it is off the a Broadway show, we can even sit in front row seats if we get there soon enough. Then my DH and I, hating to end such a fabulous evening find a secluded little place to dance the night away. Before heading to our room, we may stop off for coffee and desert. Then the next day, we'll lounge in bed and have breakfast delivered. Head to the spa for a massage or facial. Then lay by the pool with a good book, a live band and a young stud offering me the "Drink of the day". Then it's off for an adventure, whether that is in port, taking part of the many activities that are available, shopping or a movie in our cabin.

The Captain invites us to a special party, (okay so He invites everyone, don't mess with the fairy tale).

My kids or Grandkids can't find me. I can't feel guilty for reading instead of doing the mounds of tasks I could be completing. My work can't reach me.The only people I am responsible for pleasing during this trip our my God and my husband. And a cruise gives me special one on one time with each of them.

This is way I cruise. No I don't care where the ship goes. It always ends Happily Ever After.

Susan
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Passenger

Hi,
I have only cruised once and I guess a lot of you would say it wasn't even cruising. I crossed the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2. It was fantastic. I was hooked right away. I had no problem with 5 sea days. So much to do. I took lectures from a Proffessor of Psychiatrie ( also good for my job) I took the course dramatic arts and learned line dancing. Also much more.
One thing I did find with such a big ship, it's difficult to make friends but I made a few.
I am now planning a cruise to Greece Turkey the Ukraine and Egypt. So am seeking a cruise line that goes to all these place in one cruise. I know the QE 2 does this. Anybody know of other cruise lines. By the way it must depart from Europe as I do not fly.
Thanks.
Penny
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know if any line goes to all those ports on the same cruise, but many go to Greece, Turkey and other Med ports. We are planning to cruise Galaxy to the Med. summer of '08. This includes a 5-day land tour of Italy, cruising stops in Greece and Turkey and Naples. It leaves from Civitavecchia.
Friends of ours just got back from the same cruise and raved about it. We loved Galaxy on our Panama Canal cruise last year.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

We are new cruisers.Wife has been on 3,myself on 2.We cruise for all reasons.Enjoy it as much as humanly possible.I feel you get more bang for the buck,and all the reasons the previous posters have stated!
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Because I live in Europe and know Italy I don't want to do any stuff on land. I will probably drive from Holland to Italy to board. Otherwise it will be Cunard from Southampton.
I am investigating the possibility of cruising to Greece and changing ships in Greece for one that goes to the Ukraine and Egypt.
When I retire I plan to cruise to Australia but thats a couple of years yet.
I think if I wasn't married to a younger man who is still going to be working when I retire I would just cruie from one place to another and be not home much
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Lots of travelers here, and I love it ...

Listen - a week in the sun is GREAT, and it is more, yo get to snorkel, water ski, dive, canopy ziplines, etc. The Caribbean is great even for travelers. BUT... take a look at our Cruise Bargains Page at all the deals you can get to Europe with Air, or South America.

If you have ever thought of seeing Rio, Montevideo, Buenos Aires. Or the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica, or the Baltic countries like Sweden, Russia, Estonia, and Poland, or the antiquities of the Aegean sea.

These are all WORLD DESTINATIONS easily accessible by cruise ship. And the ships that go there are port intensive with great tours.

If you are a fairly new cruiser, or maybe a never-cruised, and you are worried about rogue waves, hurricanes, and people getting rowdy - all that stuff mostly happens in the Caribbean.

The "travel" side of cruising, like I do, is alive & well. Better than ever!

Just ask me what it is like to see some of these places.

And I don't even agree with people who say "all you get is a taste", because many ships hit ports for two or three days stops now. And they stop every day, so even if you don't see ALL of Florence Italy, you DO also Pisa, Naples, Venice, Rome, Portofino, Monaco, and all those ports you can reach in a day (and sail at night).

And the price is right - a 12-day European tour, hotel & food included for just over $1000 per person. wow. A railpass is not that cheap unless you carry your sleeping bag and live on McDonald's.
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Passenger

Paul, Your right. I want to cruise to NY in 2008 and then go to my sister in Florida. For a rail ticket with accomadation it is 700 dollars. Just for something more than 24hours on the train. I have decided to hire a car. I have never driven myself in America but it can't be worse than Europe haha.
Penny
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

In Europe the gas is twice as expensive and the way people drive is insane. I have done it, but i have also driven in Manhattan & los Angles.
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Also... There are not many cruiswe ships that go to the Ukraine, but a few do... What you need to do is find a Black sea cruise: This Costa cruise looks good:

1 Savona (Genoa), Italy - 5:00 p.m.

2 Naples, Italy 1:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

3 At Sea - -

4 At Sea - -

5 Istanbul, Turkey 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

6 At Sea - -

7 Sochi, Russian Federation 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

8 Yalta, Ukraine 1:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

9 Odessa, Ukraine 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

10 Constanta, Romania 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

11 At Sea - -

12 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

13 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 8:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m.

14 At Sea - -

15 Savona (Genoa), Italy 9:00 a.m. -

And if you love Caviar....

By the way, Viking River and Fred Olesn cruise lines both cover Europe extensively, especially Viking River where you can cruise onthe Dneiper River all the way from Kiev to Istanbul. You really get to see Ukraine that way.
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Passenger

That sounds good. Pity it doesn't do Egypt.
Still just have to wait and take another cruise to Egypt.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

We cruise because it is the best bang for the tourist buck. Where else are you going to get free meals, free entertainment, free activities aboard ship and the excitement of seeing different ports! September 11th was a horrible day for this country but it opened the cruise industry to the fact that many people can now drive to a port to catch a ship rather than paying the expense of air travel and spending the night in a hotel pre cruise. We have made such great friends though our cruise experience; I would not trade this mode of travel for anything!