Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorio

I just saw the movie "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." I have never watched a movie that made me laugh the whole movie through. I was so funny. However, if you are easily offended it may not be the movie for you. It is rated "R for pervasive strong crude and sexual content including graphic nudity, and language." Did anyone else see this movie and think it was as funny as I did.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Saw it last week with free tickets. We are so glad we did not spend money to see it. It was definitely not a movie for anyone over 35 or under 20. And the showing we were at there was a family with a boy of about 10.

There were definitely some parts that we laughed at and cringed at a lot. I had heard that the real goverment of Kazakhstan is thinking of sueing about the bad rap for the portral of it's people and I for one am not surprised. Though I do know it is all a joke.

Our daughter and son-in-law were here over the weekend and could not beleive we had seen it. They said even some of their friends would not go see it. (20's to 30's)
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050
Saw it last week with free tickets. We are so glad we did not spend money to see it. It was definitely not a movie for anyone over 35 or under 20. And the showing we were at there was a family with a boy of about 10.
Is it bad that I'm 37 years old and found it funny? It was interesting to me to see how Extreme people's views were about an adult male wanting to greet them with a kiss on each cheek. Also how afraid people are to use words that are considered offensive. My brother is Autistic and I know when something is mean spirted and when something is just for fun. everyone needs to relax. and smile

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Kat,

I am very much older than you, and I found the movie very funny. I did consider one nude scene that lasted much too long to be very unfunny. The movie was very clever, and I would recommend it to any adult who could put up with the one scene I alluded to.

I hate to see parents take their children to adult movies including the really gory horror types, but the theatres are full of parents with very young children who will probably have nightmares. I have seen some children screaming in the corridor after a movie. We would never have considered taking our children to such movies.
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Of course it is not bad that you found it funny at your age, everyone of all ages find different things funny.

My main objection was to the scene that Paul B alluded to.

I guess that I should have said "this is a movie made mainly for people between 20 and 35". It is not one that many of our friends would want to see. But friends of our daughter (31) would be more likely to go see it.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Our 17 year old son loved this movie and I look forward to seeing it also. I hate when parents bring kids to movies that they shouldn't. When Bad Santa came out there were all kinds of warnings that it wasn't a kids movie and of course there's the family with the 5 year old.
Angela Z.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Admiral

All the copy for this movie, including advance reviews and promotion, are unanimous in their statement that this is a highly offensive in every sense of the word, politically incorrect film. Why would someone who would be offended see such a movie??? To whine about it afterward???

It seems so.

People listen to Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh et al, and then complain about how their sensitivities were offended. Geez Louize.......... they are doing it on purpose, people. They make millions doing it. And as long as there is someone to get their knickers in a knot, they will continue doing it.

There is a book on the NY Times Best Sellers List called "Controversy Creates Cash" by Eric Bischoff. An interesting read (there is no lower "social denominator" than pro wrestling)...... and a revealing insight into the mental workings of several non-PC persons of note.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Admiral

I have a pretty broad (and wicked!) sense of humour. I just may see this movie just to see what all the fuss is about. I'd rather laugh than watch gore and violence.
As for parents bringing kids to adult movies, they should be shot! (just kidding) but shouldn't the theatres stop people from bringing underage kids into inappropriate movies? If the parents are too dumb, somebody's got to do it. Don't get me started on all the movies my 3 and 4 yr olds at daycare have seen that I wouldn't even go see!

donna
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
shouldn't the theatres stop people from bringing underage kids into inappropriate movies? If the parents are too dumb, somebody's got to do it. Don't get me started on all the movies my 3 and 4 yr olds at daycare have seen that I wouldn't even go see!
donna
Hi Rollerdonna,
I worked in a movie theater at 16 year old before I was hired my parents had to sign an agreement that they understood I would be exposed in my job to R rated movies. AN "R rating means restricted No one under 17 admitted unless accompanied by parent or adult guardian." If the parent or guardian is allowing their young child to be exposed to this film there isn't anything the theater can do. I agree with everyone here "Borat" is not a children's movie however parents need to be responsible for what their children watch. It's not the theater’s job to rise some else's children. But the movie is funny. Hope you enjoy it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Familiar Face

I am 45 and found the movie to be very funny and really not that offensive. Lighten up. The decidedly "touchy" issues were handled fairly well. I for one as a female, was glad that for once, the R rating had more to do with males than females - refreshing.

I guess the only thing that disturbs me is that it feeds into Westerners' need to feel we live better than the rest of the world. I am not an anti-American, but a concerned American, please hear me out. I work in a "global" company and through my travels, I am quickly coming to realize that the rest of the world has largely caught up and is surpassing us on a lot of fronts. Cities in Asia are the new "New Yorks" We no longer have the great bridges, dams, buildings, etc. Not many of our children want to be scientists and engineers. What happened to the great space program, peace core, etc. So my beef is that this film allows us to continue to get warm and fuzzys about our position in the world order when we instead need to wake up and put a little investment back into our world. Otherwise, we could be featured in the Borat movie of 2056.