Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default I could have gone to Australia

A truly UGLY travel day! 17 hours to get from Calgary to Miami.

The moral of the story... NEVER let the cruise lines book your air.

I was booked Calgary - Denver - Miami on United. Of course the plane was late leaving Calgary, and when we arrived in Denver I RAN to the gate (the last one in a large concourse of course), and even though I was 15 minutes prior to departure, as I approached from 20 ft away I saw the agents close the door and head down the gangway. I knocked several times to no avail, and watched as the plane sat there another 15 minutes.

There was a customer service kiosk directly across the concourse, but of course it was closed. So, I headed on a trek looking for an open customer service desk, where I had to stand in line for about an hour.

Turns out United only has ONE flight a day from Denver to Miami. (They told me they are pulling out of the Miami market).

After hunting they put me on a United flight to Dallas, and AA from there to Miami, leaving a couple of hours later. We boarded the flight to Dallas on time, only to have to wait onboard because an auxillary power unit wasn't working properly... and they said if they couldn't fix it, we'd leave anyway, but with no air circulation in the cabin (wouldn't that be nice).

They fixed the unit after about half an hour, and we headed off to Dallas. When we arrived we had to wait on the tarmac for a gate to open.
When we finally got off that airplane, I ran to the gate to make my AA connection to Miami, and got there in time to board that airplane.

As I was getting ready to pass out for a snooze, the pilot told us we'd be delayed because they had found an oil leak on one of the engines, and had sent for the part.
After another significant delay, waiting for the repairs to be made, we finally left Dallas headed for Miami. Upon arriving in Miami, we had to sit near a gate while they moved some equiptment to make room. Like no one knew a 777 was arriving

Of course there's no way my checked bag arrived with me. Yet I had to wait for all the luggage to be unloaded from the airplane to be sure, before I could go to stand in yet another line to put in a claim.

I'm not at all confident that my bag didn't head to Australia without me!!!
And if I don't get confirmation tomorrow morning that my bag is on its way to me, it'll be a shopping day at Saw Grass Mills.... to outfit me for the 2 day Century cruise, along with a suitcase to put it in.

I NEVER us cruise line air, because they are really not interested in being in the "air business" and have very little knowledge. You'd think someone might know the carrier they chose only has one connecting flight from Denver to Miami. NOT!

I can promise that I'll never again let them touch my air arrangements, even when I'm their guest!!

Oh.. and apparently Celebrity thinks my first name is Blitt So it took awhile for them to even find my reservation at the Customer Service desk, even though I had just flown in from Calgary

As for the air lines, like I always said... if a cruise line ran their business the way most of the airlines do, there'd be message boards FULL of complaints from irate flyers. And likely without the governments support, most of them would of course be bankrupt and gone already!!!

I'm kind of used to "thing happening" when traveling and usually take it all somewhat in stride.. because I plan for it. Sadly this was one of the most difficult travel days I can remember in all my travels, all over the world.

I've already gone online and booked my own air going home on Monday. I'll just toss the cruise lines air booking in the garbage.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Admiral

What a mess, Kuki!!!!! I sure hope that's the end of your bad adventures on this trip. Seems that it really doesn't matter what airline you choose, there are frequently problems. At least by finding out that there are more options when problems arise should help you out. Good luck with the trip home. Jake experiences some of those problems on a regular basis. Seems like more and more airlines are cutting back on flights. When you're flying the distance that you are it makes it even harder.

Hope you can get some rest now, and have no problems getting on the Century.

Phyll
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Admiral

wow what a mess you had. I would have been furious too btw. We also sat in Memphis without air in the aircraft and the pilot told us the air would work once we made it up in the air. The plane was very old it seemed. I was so hot and very upset after flying for such a long time already. On the way from Amsterdam to memphis which was 10 1/2 hours btw my TV screen did not work and many others had the same problem. I was able to switch to another seat with my dh but his screen did not work either and he had to use the one next to him. I don't like flying period.
I hopeyour flight back home will be better!
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Yikes, a nightmare!
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki;

I feel for you and completely agree about cruise line air. My strong personal opinion is that anyone who uses cruiseline air is either very naive or very brave. Cruise lines no longer have any pull with the airlines unless it is a charter.

However, I think you should tell the truth and admit that the actual problem was that you didn't have Mrs. K with you and you actually made it to Denver with an hour to spare but wandered around the terminal for an hour and five minutes. If Mrs. K was there she would have led you to the gate on time.

You always say: You'd be lost without her.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Kuki,,,

I feel you pain,,,what a bummer !! Sure hope things start to improve and they get your luggage to you b/4 sailing.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Moose Man,
How horrible, hope you bag shows up...

Enjoy the cruise, hopefully that will be hassle free.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Not a good start to your trip Kuki. At least you made it before your ship sailed! Hope your luggage does too!

donna
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Default I Could Have Gone to Australia

What a fiasco! Hope you get your stuff before the ship sails. Better luck next time, as the old song says. Makes me worry about our flight to Fort Lauderdale even though we didn't arrange it through the cruise line.

Judy
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Kuki,
Out of this can come one good article for cruisemates!
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Admiral

G'd Day Mates (does that sound like I'm in Australia? )

Today's baggage sage continues...

While attempting to track my bag, I found that United Air Lines, has my name reversed, so American Air Lines were hunting for a bag for Mr. B Morris.
And it's apparently American Air Lines responsibility, because that's who I flew to Miami with (after diverting to Dallas from Denver).... even though American Airlines never touched my bag.

After dealing with both companies baggage services, I found (from United) that my bag had flown to Chicago, and would be flying in to Miami this afternoon. Then it would have to be transferred from United to AA for delivery (probably so AA would pay the delivery charge).

So.. after all of this, would you believe the bag will be delivered today??
NOPE, neither did I. So I spent the afternoon at Saw Grass Mills Outlet Mall, shopping. And of course bought a small suitcase to carry my purchases in.

Now , if by some MIRACLE, the bag gets delivered back to me in time, I'll be boarding the Century tomorrow with 2 suitcases and a carry on, for a 2 DAY cruise. Imagine I'll be getting some odd looks at check in if that happens.
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Oh... but the good news is I'll be dressed when I go out for dinner tonight with Florida cruisemates friends.
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

With all the troubles you have had, I feel so bad,
My head is spinning, you must be winning, the game of musical bags.

BON VOYAGE for sure ?
Carole 8)
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Oh no, I can't believe this...Keep us posted on the missing luggage....hope to hear you did get it in time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm kind of used to "thing happening" when traveling and usually take it all somewhat in stride.. because I plan for it. Sadly this was one of the most difficult travel days I can remember in all my travels, all over the world.
That's about why we all despise the very thought of flying in an airplane. We should not have to be "used to 'thing happening'" (sic)....

Norm.
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Kuki,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That's about why we all despise the very thought of flying in an airplane. We should not have to be "used to 'thing happening'" (sic)....

Norm.
Norm, I don't "despise the very thought of flying in an airplane." I would recommend editing out "all" in your previous post.

Kuki, I hope the two day cruise goes well. As you have already purchased "replacement" clothes, it is in your best interest for your luggage NOT to arrive and then airline and/or travel insurance will reimburse your purchases and airline will deliver suitcase directly to your home when it is found.

Have fun!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Kuki :evil: ! I'm already afraid of flying and changing planes, now I have to worry about my luggage making it with me!

You're not helping me at all !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Just got in from a WONDERFUL dinner and get together Simi, and Ev and Bob (TRBove). And had an incredible surprise when Tweety and Da Coot drove the three hours from Oveido to surprise me at dinner!!
What a couple!!! How nice it was for them to go to the trouble. So SWEETS!!

Seeing all the good friends almost made yesterdays tribulations worth it.

Latest word on the missing bag <G>.... "they say" it was picked up in Miami at 5 PM for delivery to the hotel. Just checked at the desk on my way back, and nothing yet
"They" say it is coming tonight, and they'll call first. Apparently it's been a VERY busy day----- busy losing EVERYONE'S bags I guess. (Sorry Fern. )
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Admiral

At least its getting closer...we hope?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Just before midnight, and the bag has been delivered to the hotel!

I'm now trying to repack the suitcase, and the carry one, so it doesn't look like I'm moving onto the ship permanently. Actually I have my "Celebrity staff badge" with me (from my day as a butler). I should wear it then they'll just think I'm staff moving in

I've got my old carry on (a back-pack with wheels) now packed into the larger suitcase, and the new carry on jammed with my computer, camera, and other junk.

I'm well equipped now for a 10 day cruise. Think they'll let me stay on to make up for my flight fiasco?
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Admiral

YEA!

Bon Voyage Moose Man.....may the story continue....

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This just in:

Kuki has hired help in transporting his luggage to the ship:

[b]He is following close behind:[b]

[b]Hopefully, he'll remember the combinations to the locks.[b]

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Admiral

OMG Mike, you gave me my laugh of the week!

As for Kuki, I bet nobody has ever arrived with so much luggage for a 2 day cruise!

I'm glad my hubby didin't see this thread before he left early this morning. He's on a week long trip to visit his 2 brothers, and because he's travelling stand-by on Air Canada, has to make severa diversions and connecting flights (Montreal-Toronto-Dallas-SanAntonio-Dallas-Toronto-Heathrow-Gatwick-Alcudia Spain, then in reverse for coming home) Can you imagine where his luggage will end up??

donna
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Oh Mike,
Too Funny!!! I can picture that now, .

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Kuki,
What a horrendous story. I am glad your luggage arrived finally. Enjoy the cruise.

Mike, thanks for the laugh.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Wow, Am I glad to hear that you finally got your luggage. Nice to hear that Tweety and DaCoot came down for dinner. I should of had them stop by and pick me up. :-)

Mike you are way tooooo funny!!!!!!! I just love the pictures and got a good laugh out of them.

Phyll
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Mike.. I am ROFLMAO

I wish I looked that good!
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Good one Mike! And, congrats, Kuki, on actually having your luggage catch up with you.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Poor Kuki! But you have some new clothes - always a plus in my book!

Have some fun with it, Kuki. As you are boarding with all those bags, turn to the closest woman and say (loud) "Honey, I think I brought enough beer in the extra suitcase, don't you?"

And DaveTW, nothing personal!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Kuki, your story makes me recall some of my own "fun" travel days. That's why we always go a day ahead of time, just in case. Maybe the rest of the trip will go as smooth as silk. 8)

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10