Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default The BIG Meal, is Coming!"

Will you be having Thanksgiving dinner at home,or being invited out? I changed my work day from Wednesday to Monday, so I can get prepared before the big day.

Are you like us, where the menu really doesn't change one iota? If it did, somone would be unhappy! This year, we have Bruces nephew, Stephen and his wife, Michelle, coming up from Tennesee, He found us via the internet, we have not seen him in years, Our table will be a bit bigger this year. and that's nice Stephen has come to chat, and we are making him into a cruiser

Two turkeys will be cooked this year,basically to have more stuffing! This the one thing they al love, the most, and it dissapears so fast! This way too, I can send home doggy bags!

What's the one thing on your menu, that is "THE DISH?"

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Hi Trip,
The one thing that makes our thankgivings meal complete is my mom's recipe for Tahitian po'e. I have looked and have not found a recipe on the internet like it most Tahitian po'e is made with bananas her's is made with pumpkin and is often confused (by my hubby) for sweet potatos because of the marshmallows on the top. My favorite way to cook the turkey is Chef Marc's high heat method the turkey is moist every year:
1. Dry a 16 to 18 lb. turkey inside and out with paper towels.

2. Oil the turkey inside and out with any kind of vegetable oil (olive, canola, etc.) using your hands.

3. Cut away any excess skin around the opening of the cavity and wedge a fork inside the cavity to open it further. Leave the fork in.

4. Rub spices, herbs, or just pepper all over the bird with your oily fingers.

5. Place the turkey, breast side down on a rack in a large metal roasting pan.

6. Cover the top of the turkey, including legs and wings with greased foil.

7. Pour ¾-inch of chicken or turkey broth in the bottom of the pan. As the turkey cooks, check the liquid every 45 minutes and ad more in case it evaporates.

8. Cook the turkey at 500° to 525° for 2 hours.

9. Remove foil return it to the rack breast side up.

10. Cook the turkey 30 to 45 minutes longer until an instant-read thermometer stuck deep in the thigh reads 175°.

11. Let the turkey rest at least 20 minutes.

DON'T SALT, DON'T LET THE BIRD TOUCH THE PAN, DON'T BASTE THE TURKEY, DON'T USE A FORK TO TURN OR CHECK THE TURKEY AND DON'T COVER THE TURKEY WITH CHEESECLOTH
HAPPY TURKEY DAY

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Admiral

My Thanksgiving will be spent with my son, daughter-in-law, and grandbaby, my mother-in-law, my DIL parents and brother! We have had dinner at their house the last few years, but my DIL's cousin wants everyone to come to her house this year, so the family will be considerably larger! Not sure what my contribution will be. One of the things I will take is Cranberry Delight Spread:

1 pkg 8 oz softened Cream Cheese
2 TB frozen Orange juice concentrate (thawed) or fresh orange juice
1 TB sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 c finely chopped dried cranberries (or Craisins)
1/4 c finely chopped pecans, optional
Garnish with small mint leaf, optional

Beat cr cheese, juice, sugar, orange peel, and cinnamon on medium until fluffy.
Stir in cranberries and pecans. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Serve w/crackers

Very yummy!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Forget the Turkey pour all that sausage stuffing on my plate! It will just be the 5 of us this year usually my inlaws come but FIL had shoulder surgery now so they can come for Christmas. When is everyone putting up their tree. Mine will be up Sunday.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Usually, I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner, especially the turkey and the cornbread dressing with giblet gravy, but this year we'll be [b]cruising[/b]! Someone else can cook !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Katlady - that turkey recipe sounds delicious! Just what kind of spices do you use on your turkey?

My Dad, sister, brother and I are going to a friend's house for a light Thanksgiving buffet - mostly just light food and snacks and cocktails and games. Then we are going to do our "small" turkey dinner on Saturday when I have off all day and can do the cooking. My brother loves to deep fry the turkey.
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Admiral

I am having the smallest group in many years...me, dh, son, stepson and my Mom.

Stuffing is the must have dish at my house. Or actually, it's "dressing" since I don't actually stuff the turkey. The secret to the moist stuffing is ONLY use tons of delicious broth from the turkey and lots (and lots) of onions....

I'm going shopping today for the bird..

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

We are going to my brother's house for our dinner. His teenage daughter has taken up cooking, and is looking forward to trying some recipes out on us. :-) I love stuffing, but somehow nobody can ever make it like mom did. Of course she never had an exact recipe so it's hard to replicate. I've learned to adapt and still enjoy it, but how I long for her to be able to fix it for us once again.

Phyll
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't have family close by, so we usually spend it with another couple, but with Jim gone, I was not going to do anything, until one of my sons said he couldn't wait until I start cooking. Sooooo I guess I will cook after all.

My best dish is Mac and cheese. Not the box kind, but homemade.

I also fix my mothers dressing instead of stuffing. Love the way the house smells with all those ingredients.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I am not cooking this year, not fun to cook for one. I will miss having Suet Pudding. A wonderful spicy steamed bread with a sauec that my Mother made every year for the holidays.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old November 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Come on down, Laura - I've room at my table!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Mam,
We'll all be home.Turkey and Baked ham on the menu.
I'm blessed with a wife who is a wonderful cook.
Old November 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa
Katlady - that turkey recipe sounds delicious! Just what kind of spices do you use on your turkey?
Hi Lisa,
I use sage, thyme and poulty seasoning on the in and outside of the turkey. I use extra virgin olive oil it gives the skin a nice crispy texture and lots of flavor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Bless you dorothy!! Thanks for the invite.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old November 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Here is my"never enough stuffing" Adjust amounts for your needs..

2 loaves white bread salt, pepper,garlic powder, bells seasoning
2 rolls sausage meat
onions
celery
2 cans cream of celery soup

This is so easy and delish!

saute onions, celery, and sausage meat, add to the bowl of broken up white bread, add the soup, and bell seasoning,then stuff the bird. I make this the night before, and then it's one less thing to do in the morning..
This is a twist on my Mothers stuffing..Mine is much better

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Usually, I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner, especially the turkey and the cornbread dressing with giblet gravy, but this year we'll be [b]cruising[/b]! Someone else can cook !
Hi Fern,
Lucky ducky only one day til you cruise. I wish it were me. Have a great time crusing But I have to admit I love hosting the dinner. I love to time it so all the dishes are ready at the same time and the way the house smells.
Hi Laura what is
Quote:
I will miss having Suet Pudding. A wonderful spicy steamed bread with a sauec that my Mother made every year for the holidays.
I love trying new foods.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Admiral

This Thanksgiving we'll be in Canada visiting the inlaws, which really makes no sense, since we just saw them less than a month ago and they already had Thanksgiving in Canada quite some time ago.
Its kind of a weird story... we decided we'd come up for a visit during Thanksgiving because When number 1 son was about 20 months old, we had a big family picture taken with our family and d/h's sister's family and presented it to his parents as a gift, well of course it was but a few months later we discovered that we were expecting kiddo #2. To make a long story short, dear daughter (kiddo #2) who is now 4 and just a cute pushy little chic, does not appreciate the fact that there is a picture in Oma's dining room of everyone but her and we thought this Thanksgiving holiday would be the perfect opportunity to go up and have another picture taken so that no one is left out.
Well here we are a few days from our visit, d/h is talking to his sis and she mentions, "oh her d/h is on call during our visit, so he cannot get away to have the picture taken with the family, so we'll have to reschedule it for our next visit"...oh joy!
So anyhow, its not the end of the world, I figure we'll make the best of it and I booked a hotel room just south of Detroit where they have an indoor waterpark. The plan is we'll leave town Wednesday at noon as soon as the kids get out of school, then we'll drive about 5.5 hours to the hotel where we'll play the rest of the night and until about noon the next day (maybe sleep a little too lol) then Thanksgiving afternoon we'll drive a couple more hours to his parents house where they'll annoy me until Sunday morning, then we'll leave early and drive 7 hours to Indianapolis airport where I'll drop d/h off to catch a flight to NYC where he'll be working all week long. Then drive the rest of the way home with two tired little kids, then I'll put them in bed. The next morning they'll get up and go to school.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my inlaws, but they do make me a bit crazy. They were here for a visit at the end of October and they made me absolutely insane. Its just that they have no tact. For example they were looking at pics of our cruise last November, and my mil looks at me and says... you were much thinner then, what happened?
Geez louise, give me a break, I went on a huge diet so I could fit in that outfit, give me a freaking break. I should have just told her that she needs a new pair of glasses, and really I don't know what she was talking about.
During their October visit I planned a birthday party for our 4 year old which was a bit pricey but loads of fun and all the inlaws could do was complain about the food and how they wanted to go home (to our house, otherwise, I might have bought them a ticket) the entire time. I finally took my husband aside and said ya know, these are your crazy parents, YOU deal with them. Luckily I am married to a great guy and he ran interference and it all worked out fine, but I usually have a few months between our little visits to kind of forget how aggravating they are, but I am afraid this time its just too soon. Calgon take me away.
At least next year I get to spend Thanksgiving on the Freedom with all my Cruisemates. I just have t keep thinking about that to get me through this year, right?
I have my escape for Christmas planned and we're going to the Dells to ski and play in the indoor waterparks, so if I get through this next week, I have so much to look forward to. Good Lord, pray for us!
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Admiral

No Big Meal coming for me! We had ours early last month, but that doesn't mean I don't want another one! I love turkey, and my mom's stuffing (which truthfully, came from a box!) Now, it's my sis who's makes the holiday meals. Looking forward to her Christmas turkey! Meanwhile, I wil have to make do with a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. which is what she's having for her birthday dinner tomorrow!

donna
Old November 19th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Thanks, katlady!!!! Maybe I will give it a try, but with a bit of a smaller bird - will have to figure out cooking times with the smaller bird, but it sounds absolutely delicious!
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa
Thanks, katlady!!!! Maybe I will give it a try, but with a bit of a smaller bird - will have to figure out cooking times with the smaller bird, but it sounds absolutely delicious!
Hi Lisa,
I played with the numbers (60/8 ) and got a number of 7.5 mintues per pound of turkey to be cooked covered and breast side down. So for a 12 pound turkey it would be 1.5 hours. then flip the turkey so it's breast side up and uncover and let the skin brown another 20-30 mintues temp should be 175. Very important to let the turkey rest 20 mintues after cooking if you crave to early the juices will run out and the turkey will be dry. Also with a smaller bird you will want to check the broth at the bottom of the pan more often(because you will use a smaller pan) you don't want the broth to dry up. Let me know how it turns out. Have a happy turkey day 8)

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994