Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Captain

Default Costa Maya and Malaria

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. One of our port calls was Costa Maya, Mexico.

Yesterday, when I went to donate blood, I was told I couldn't, because Costa Maya was a malaria risk, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta. Now I can't donate for a year.

Anyone contemplating a cruise with this port of call may want to check with their doctor about the safest course of action. I realize the risk is small, but there is still a risk.
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Actually, the CDC does not consider Costa Maya a "malaria risk" area in general. There are certain areas in Mexico which have a risk. Here's from their website:

"Risk in rural areas, including resorts in rural areas of the following states: Campeche, Chiapas, Guerrero, Michoacán, Nayarit, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, and Tabasco. In addition, risk exists in the state of Jalisco (in its mountainous northern area only). Risk also exists in an area between 24°N and 28°N latitude, and 106°W and 110°W longitude, which lies in parts of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Durango. No malaria risk exists along the United States-Mexico border. No malaria risk exists in the major resorts along the Pacific and Gulf coasts."

All of Mexico, South and Central American have "some" risk. Too bad you couldn't give blood, though. Guess they don't want to take the chance, no matter how small the risk.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 23rd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Admiral

The ship also visits many places, not necessarily during your particular sailing. If the previous cruise was, say, to the Panama Canal (definitely a malaria risk) then there could be some unwanted "guests" still onboard such a large vessel.

What is the life span of a mosquito? Can they find a mate and standing water on a cruise ship? Do adult mosquitoes pass malaria to their larvae? Good questions.

Also, I doubt they spray often onboard the ship.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

I also had to wait a year to donate blood after visiting Costa Maya. Seems like I remember Belize also being on the list that resuls in being excluded.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Captain

My sister was told she had to wait a year to donate blood because she went to Playa del Carmen on a cruise. (????)

Libragirl
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Costa Maya and Malaria

Just a reminder that when cruising with the very young, it may be wise to stay out in the islands than cruise to Mexico, Central and South America. The risk has been there for years and was certainly a factor in cruise selection when my son was younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. One of our port calls was Costa Maya, Mexico.

Yesterday, when I went to donate blood, I was told I couldn't, because Costa Maya was a malaria risk, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta. Now I can't donate for a year.

Anyone contemplating a cruise with this port of call may want to check with their doctor about the safest course of action. I realize the risk is small, but there is still a risk.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas