Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Default Baggage Tags Arrived (To dance or not to dance???) Hmmmm?

Our Xmas Panama cruise is official, I guess!

Our baggage tags have arrived from Princess with a mound of paperwork and pre-cruise "homework." Ugh!

I miss the days of real cruise documents in all of their clear plastic glory!

We cannot help but think this cost cutting approach regarding pre-cruise information is a mistake on the part of Princess, especially when trying to attract repeat business from first time cruisers should be a priority.

So do we do a baggage tag dance (formerly doc dance) or just nuzzle up real close to the computer to do our pre-cruise homework assignment?

I'm starting to have greater appreciation for those dark blue travel pouches, of which I have a drawer full, one receives from Holland America with the docs and other cruise info filed appropriately. They make the cruise seem a bit more official, or so it seems to me.

Well I guess I'll go work on my homework now!
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Do a little dance for the tags......then after you fill out online....dance some more.........you've got things in hand that makes it official......go for it!!!! Enjoy........the cruise will be great............

Sharon
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
First Mate

I LOVE my HAL Docs when they arrive! The latest is a blue fabric with the HAL logo woven into it--very classy! It's such a milestone in the lead up to the cruise
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Dance
Cruise homework is the best kind of homework I don't have a cruise booked so Dance for the rest of us trying to put together the money for our next cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Default Baggage Tags Arrived (To Dance or not to Dance) HMMMM?

I'd do both, Chuck. Enjoy yourself!

Judy
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Dance for those tags, Chuck!

So what does Princess send besides the tags?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Chuck,

Congratulations on receiving your documents!

But you think this is bad? Just wait until the cruise lines start sending your documents via e-mail..........

But whatever the case, you guys are going to have a great time! Hoist a pint for all of back here!

Dean
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Always choose to dance!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just show them to Kramer, the dog, and he does "The Tag Wag".

I do miss the days when the docs showed up in a nice travel wallet. Then it turned into a plastic thing, then a paper thing and now you receive some luggage tags.

Then again, most of it goes into the recycle bin and the luggage tags, passenger info, cc document and maybe an immigration form are all that you take with you, so it is somewhat of a waste. You really don't "need" the documents.

I have to admit that there were a few "document wallets" sold at my last garage sale. I won't say the prices.

Take care,
Mike (Who will now be keel hauled.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You can do the Bag Tag Tango!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Chuck, I have something for you! E-mail me please?

donna
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Dorothy, They sent a list of "to dos" which included immigration data, passport information, excursion options, & stuff they wanted to sell.

Basically they just want you to do your own data entry. It probably saves Princess a ton of money when they add up the costs on each passenger.
I guess the only constant is change.

RD I sent you my e-mail address, I can't wait.
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Maybe more to it Chuck. If you do the paperwork at home you will need to pull your docs. Have seen passengers actually left at the docks because they never bothered to pull their passports (or certified birth certificates in the good ol' days). When HAL sends out the "Know Before You Go" brochure and immigration questionnaire I think they are preempting possible problems at the dock. You have not lived until you have seen folks who paid several thousands of dollars for a cruise get stuck watching their ship sail away for lack of a piece of paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
Dorothy, They sent a list of "to dos" which included immigration data, passport information, excursion options, & stuff they wanted to sell.

Basically they just want you to do your own data entry. It probably saves Princess a ton of money when they add up the costs on each passenger.
I guess the only constant is change.

RD I sent you my e-mail address, I can't wait.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Admiral

We ALWAYS fly with a passport, even on domestic flights. It seems to make things go more smoothly. I too have seen horrible delays, especially at U.S. customs/immigration, on the part of passengers using drivers licenses, birth certificates, etc.

However having the customer do all the data entry is the ultimate outsource, or so it seems to me. We can hope thst this cost cutting will be reflected in the cruise fare, which may be the case. Of that I'm not so sure.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Actually, its more like my experience in Canada where customs made all the passengers on our bus grab, standby, and declare their bags in person. If you go straight to the source the potential for errors is reduced and accountability can be defined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
We ALWAYS fly with a passport, even on domestic flights. It seems to make things go more smoothly. I too have seen horrible delays, especially at U.S. customs/immigration, on the part of passengers using drivers licenses, birth certificates, etc.

However having the customer do all the data entry is the ultimate outsource, or so it seems to me. We can hope thst this cost cutting will be reflected in the cruise fare, which may be the case. Of that I'm not so sure.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas