Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Does Anyone Shop The Day After Thanksgiving?

I normally stay away from the stores at this time, but our local furniture store is offering the sofa I want 300 off the regular price. The only problem is you have to be there by 8:00 in the morning. I want to go and pick it up, so I will need to drag my teen sons with me. So if you hear screaming coming from this way, you will know where it is coming from.

What about you? Is this a red letter day for you. I hate shopping, so it is never something I look forward to doing.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Admiral

For years my sister and I would pour over the sales ads after Thanksgiving dinner, deciding what stores to hit first. We would start very early and end by about 2:00 or so, when the stores are at their worst. Since her death 5 years ago, I just can't do it anymore. I will shop before or after, but not the day after. We always had a wonderful time and it was as much of a tradition as turkey and dressing! I leave the bargains for those other hearty souls!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

My wife has me go with her to run interference for her.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

James, That made me laugh. I would never take my hubby. He has no patients for shopping or shoppers. He gets that look on his face, that tells me, he has had enough, and is about to run over people.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I am now in a position where I "have" to do it. Because of circumstances beyond my control I have to obtain a gift for a good friend's 50th birthday party on Saturday.

I have bribed my son to get me to a nearby outdoor store on Friday, obtain the item and I hope I can get out in one piece and in less than two hours.

Otherwise, I avoid the day after sales, like the plague. Some retailers, in our area, are opening at 12:01 a.m. to kick off "Black Friday". It's getting a bit ridiculous, IMO.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Luanne,this started way back when K Mart use to have those Blue Light Specials.Recall those?
Mike I agree totally!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I do remember James. Mike, well said.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Admiral

The Prime outlets mall in Williamsburg is opening at 12;01 tonight as well,,,This has gone way overboard,,,NUTS !!

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default Does Anybody Shop the Day after Thanksgiving?

I love to shop but NOT the day after Thanksgiving! I only did it once, t get a gift for Keith. I went early and had no problems. Otherwise, I agree with Mike.

Judy
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

This year I'm shopping on line. I have already purchased gift baskets from Harry & David....Yumm, Even ordered one for us.

I ususally wait till the crowds are not so bad, about dinner time, or early in the am for Target, K mart. I love the holidays, but the problems with parking, and all the work.
I'm hosting a party for every one at the hospital pharmacy where Earl works. expecting 20-40 people.,need to hire a bartender, get supplies, & work out a menu.
thats my plan for the upcoming weeks.
Shopping is a maybe. We are going on the New Years Century that is our Christmas
Carole 8)
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Wal-Mart has a sale tomorrow at 5am. They are selling a beetle <like my car> that runs on battery and our grandson can ride it at 2.5mph. I am very seriously thinking about going. Off course my dh has to come with me if I go. He isn't too happy about it. Otherwise I looked at the sales flyers this morning and too be honest there is nothing out there that warrants an early rise I am wondering why the happy faces dont work on the lap top? Anyway, for those who are out there tomorrow morning Happy Hunting!!!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not sure if it was the day after..bu,, Bruce went out in the middle of the night, last year, to a Target to get an lcd tv for me ..I loved the thought, and the tv

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

No, I don't have any Christmas presents to buy. Sometimes I go grocery shopping.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

No! The big activity around here tomorrow will be taking my son's and my car in for oil changes, etc and corraling the leftovers into manageable containers.
Angela Z.
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Been at in since 5:00 A.M. There are some bargains out there.That's the wife's HO.
Taking a small break and we are off again.
This is FUN!
Luanne wish you were here shopping with us!
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Admiral

I don't need or want anything badly enough to join the mobs of people shopping today - even though I know there are good bargains out there. On Wednesday, our office let out at 2:00 p.m., so I went to the mall on the way home and bought a few gifts.
Cindy
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Staying away from the stores today. Shopping the day after Thanksgiving used to be a big event that I looked forward to, but not anymore. It's all those people. YIKES! Are the crowds bigger than when I was younger or have I just gotten old and persnickity? I really don't have much to buy anyway so there isn't much incentive to even try to fight the crowds.

Have fun James. Are you sure you aren't sitting in front of the computer shopping on line? You sound like you are enjoying yourself way to much.

Phyll
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Phyll,
No mam.Just a short break and then I'm being dragged out again.
I figure I owe the wife,after all she did book 3 cruises for me,so I figure I'll have her paid back in about 100 years!
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Does Anyone Shop The Day After Thanksgiving?

Nada. If any shopping done that day it is done online. Did bag a backpacking tent for my son using Google to drive the price down 10% with free shipping (about 18% savings versus local Texas purchase). Unfortunately I spent all the savings on some titanium stakes (that were also on sale) to reduce the weigth of that crittter. We divers love titanium.

Anyone know how to gift wrap a titanium stake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I normally stay away from the stores at this time, but our local furniture store is offering the sofa I want 300 off the regular price. The only problem is you have to be there by 8:00 in the morning. I want to go and pick it up, so I will need to drag my teen sons with me. So if you hear screaming coming from this way, you will know where it is coming from.

What about you? Is this a red letter day for you. I hate shopping, so it is never something I look forward to doing.

Luanne
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Did some in the afternoon. And bought mainly for me!

Daughter and son-in-law wnet in the morning to Rooms To Go to buy gift certificates. They had a deal with coupon buy up to $100 and get a matching certificate. Between them and my hubby they were able to buy $500 in certficates and got another $500 so now in the next couple of weeks can start shopping for living room furniture. This will definitely help.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Admiral

Hi Luanne,
I always complete all christmas on the friday after thanksgiving. I hate to shop I make the list for people I need gifts for and then I go though the ads to pick out the gifts. On that friday I go from store to store until all gifts are bought. I always do the toy store first

I started out this year at 4AM with coffee and my waffle sandwich (two chocolate chip eggos with peanut butter in the middle). I finshed shopping at 1:30PM. I mailed that christmas cards on Saturday. Once I wrap the gifts and put up the tree I can relax and enjoy the season.

Shopping this way also keeps me on budget because of the careful planning before shopping. The fun part about shopping day after thanksgiving is the interesting people you meet in line for 2 hours. One couple is taking an Panama cruise on Infinity I just took an Alaskan cruise on the ship so we had lots to talk about.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Admiral

Hey Luanne> did you succeed with your quest for cushy comfort?

In my experience, if a store has such a deal, the one (yes one) sofa they actually have in stock is gone by 8:01, (or worse, someone has put advance dibs on it)......

enquiring minds need to know. was the divan divine?

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Admiral

It is indeed CC, Love the sofa, got a great price, and a love seat to match. No real crowds, great savings.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008