Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Default Work Ethics

The string about tipping got me to musing about the work ethics of young people.

On the tipping string I said that ship's crews by and large do a great job and earn their tips. I specifically mentioned a Bulgarian crew member who was saving up to open a restaurant, and this got me to thinking about my other Bulgarian friends. . .

Throughout the 80's and into the 90's I made a number of business trips to Bulgaria and saw it up-close and personal, as both a Communist satellite of the USSR, and a newly-free nation struggling to find its place in a market economy. All through that time, I admired so many of the people I knew there, for their courage under terrible oppression, and for their determination to try to do better with their newly-won independence.

One of my great friends from those days, Encho, is now a diplomat at the UN in New York, so happily we get to visit with each other fairly often. About three years ago he called me. "Listen," he said, "I need you to do me a favor. The son of one of my best friends in Bulgaria is in the Washington area for the summer as a lifeguard. Apparently he's a little homesick, so could you look him up and maybe buy him a burger or something? According to his father, he just needs a little cheering up."

That began our friendship with young Ognyan ("just call me O.G."). He's now finished his third summer in Washington, and we've seen a good deal of him over that time. He refers to Terry as "my American Mom," and he is anxious for us to pay a return visit to his family in Bulgaria. They live in Varna, a city I'm quite familiar with, a resort area on the Black Sea. His father is a high court judge there, and O.G. assures us with a grin that when we visit, we can commit any crimes we care to and we will not be held responsible.

Remember when being a lifeguard was a really big deal summer job for American kids? It was almost glorified. Now, relatively few American kids even apply, to the point that contractors bring visiting workers like O.G., mostly from eastern Europe, to the US by the planeload every summer to do the lifeguarding that American kids won't do.

I just assumed that our own kids wouldn't do the job anymore because they're just lazy. I found out that's not entirely true. The real reason is even more depressing: spending your summers as a lifeguard is apparently an unfavorable item in your "package" when you apply for college. In order to get a leg up for admission into the best schools, you must spend your summers interning for a Congressman or working as a gofer in a law firm. The now ubiquitous college "advisors" steer kids away from lifeguarding and other such "menial" summer work.

And so we hire O.G. and his friends, and fly them across the ocean to do the work that Americans won't.

For his part, O.G. is proud of his work as a lifeguard. He was promoted to a first-line supervisor this summer and couldn't have been happier. He has finished college now, and next month will begin law school, following in his father's footsteps. I don't know whether he'll be back again as a lifeguard, but knowing him has been a real joy.

There are lots of O.G.'s aboard the cruise ships we sail on. In fact, I once told him that if he got tired of being a lifeguard, a year or two aboard ship would be a good experience for him. I always think of him now when I talk to waiters and bartenders and room stewards, whether they're Bulgarian or not.

They remind me that there are still those for whom work is an honor, where jobs we consider menial have great dignity, and that we Americans look down our noses at other lands and their people at our very great peril.

Adjusting the amount of tips based on excellent or poor service is one thing. But when we don't tip because "people don't deserve tips," we reinforce the prevalent view of Americans by most people in the world today.

Is that a good idea?

O.G. prepares the traditional Bulgarian salad, the "Shopskasalad" in his "American Mom's" kitchen before a dinner party with friends. The "Shopska" is basically cucumbers and tomatoes with a light oil and vinegar dressing, to which is added a generous amount of grated Bulgarian feta cheese. Interestingly, we can get Bulgarian feta at our local Lebanese market, so O.G. felt right at home.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

AR, Very interesting story. I have not heard about having to import lifeguards here in Florida.

From my experience though I can offer a different perspective. When I was 13-14 and spending all of my free time at Wet n Wild in Orlando growing up I did not aspire to be anything but a Lifeguard. When I was 15, I got certified at my local YMCA and went off to start my new career. I went there 3 times before they would hire me. They said I was too young to be a Lifeguard but would hire me as a custodian. Well, they got to wear the same uniform and did not have to wear a shirt. We went around straightening deck chairs, empty garbage cans and carry one of those sweeper things. As luck would have it, the park opened for the season with not enough certified Lifegaurds. Since I was already certified, they moved me up and I got 25 cents more an hour to $3.65 at the time in 1980. They started me on the Kamikaze slide and in the kiddie pools. because of my "good work ethic" and skills, I was quickly moved to the wave pool. This is where the Legend of Dave the Wave began.

My main reason for wanting to be a Lifeguard was to get more chics. All the guys I worked with were very typical All-American guys and girls. Clean cut, no tattoos and in good physical shape. I worked there for 3 seasons and my younger two brothers followed in my footsteps.

Then an even better opportunity arose. All of the local hotels around the International Drive and Disney areas had a new trend. Poolside Tanning consultants. Now we had all the glamour and status of a Lifeguard but with a much greater earning potential and easier access to more chics in the hotels. We earned a percentage of our Panama Jack sales and tips. We took care of the pool and got to know the guests and offered tanning advice as well as tips to local hot spots. I did this for a couple seasons in Orlando before embarking on my college career at Eckerd College a beautiful waterfront campus in St Petersburg.

This is where it gets interesting. My older sister had already bee there a year when I entered as a freshman in the fall of 1984. We qualified for work study and since there was a pool on campus and we were certified, we were given 40 hours per month of duty at the campus pool. This was also a great way to meet chics and work on my tan at the same time. We got paid even when it was too cold or rainy to open the pool. (Kinda like Robbie Benson in "One on One" where he got paid to water the fields and the systems were automatic)

Now to take it one step further, with my experience selling suntan lotion and all the beach resorts nearby, I ventured down to St Pete Beach and got a job selling Caribbean Sol at a beach resort. Well, this was many times better than being at the Marriott on International Drive. We had a Beach!! Not only did we make money selling suntan lotion but we had rentals!! Percentage of cabana rentals and suntan lotions. It didn't get any better. And the chics were usually there for the duration of their stay. Unlike Orlando where you may see them at the pool one day but then they trapse around the theme parks and and can't always find them again.

Well, I graduated near the top of my class (it was a small class and my last name starts with B) in May 1988 with BA in Business and continued full time in Career as a Tanning Consultant. I did that for 10 years. Because of sales skills which I credit to my experience in Orlando, the beach guys were lazy and counted too much on the rental money, I was known as the "King" of St Pete Beach. Dave the Wave still stuck though to this day.

When my first son was born in 1993 I realized here I was married with children (Not unlike Al Bundy) and was forced to give up my beach career. I have spent the last 13 years in sales and sales management at the same local Honda dealer and while not as glamorous as being a lifeguard (almost) it affords me the opportunity to cruise twice a year.

So to any young people, I can offer the advice to have fun, be a lifeguard, forget about boring office work while a student. There will be a lifetime of that later. Have fun, party and meet people. Be somebody!

Old school Lifegaurd, Dave the wave.

New School lifeguard....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

AR,
You really hit home with this,,,
We have a summer place we go to here in Va. that is a campresort.

The last 3 years they have hired kids from Russia to work the pool areas.

Our manager fly's over there to attend job fair's and interview these kids. Then they fly over @ the begining of summer and are given a place to stay along with their pay.

They work very hard with long hours all summer. They are always so friendly and a joy to get to know.

Then b/4 you know it it's time for them to go back home. Last year a couple of them stayed an extra week to go to Wash D.C. to see all the sights.

I was wondering why we didn't have an American kids doing this job anymore,,,I, like you, assumed they were just to lazy or spoiled,,,,
Thanks for the info,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Admiral

You know, I have a good friend who said the BEST thing he has on his resume is 2 years working for Ronald McDonald.

And I live in an area where the kids are so jaded it is below them to work any job in retail. As a result, the service at the local fast food resaurants and stores is abysmal, as they just cannot meet staff quota without hiring 14-year-olds.

And a footnote: in every one of those fast food restaurants you will now find a tip jar (even McDonalds, and I'm SURE that's against policy). I'm insulted to see such a jar in such places. A TIP for simply handing me a burger??? I think not, you greedy little ****.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And a footnote: in every one of those fast food restaurants you will now find a tip jar (even McDonalds, and I'm SURE that's against policy). I'm insulted to see such a jar in such places. A TIP for simply handing me a burger??? I think not, you greedy little ****.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Tipping is only proper at a restaurant where one receives full service. One does NOT tip for take-out or for counter service at a so-called "fast food" establishment. Unfortunately, ignorance of social etiquette is now rampant....

Norm.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Admiral

AHA! I guess you saw this one bugs me.

When I was a teenager the exact same age, I had to slog through snow, rain etc (no exaggeration) for a full 7 days delivering the morning paper to HOPEFULLY get a 25 cent tip.... and then about half didn't think I deserved it......

Even at that time, some of the other carriers' mommies and daddies drove them around their route.......

not mine. absolutely not.

What is wrong with the kids today? Mine will be raised properly. Even if they think I'm a s**t. (You want RocaWear??? You EARN RocaWear.)

Old December 5th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Admiral

Dave, I like the "New school" lifeguard better .

Cynic, yep, these kids need to earn their way.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Admiral

Dave the Wave>>>... 4 years of college.... for a BA?

sounds like something I might have done (mum's the word dude)

Old December 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Here in NH too. Every summer the resorts, beaches and summer camps hire kids from Foreign countries. Some of the places that used to stay open from early may until mid October are now closing Labor Day weekend. The college kids that are hired for the summer leave Labor Day leaving the business without help to run it through foliage season.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Cruise Cynic, 4 years is the normal time for a Batchelors degree. I took summers off and only took one class twice.

mehawk, here is another new school lifeguard in a Speedo the official swimwear of Wet n'Wild.

these girls were born AFTER I worked there and had never hear of me....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Dave> I went to University at the same time you did. Up here, it only takes two years for a BA, assuming normal course load. Of course, yours truly was on the extended slow learner (Molson) plan, but I did stay long enough to spell bachelor correctly..... a lot of good it will do me.

Old December 6th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Dave, these girls are younger than my daughter

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic. We took 12 hours a semester and at that rate a 4 year degree takes 4 years. Please forgive my speeling

We didn't have much molson here, aye. But we did have plenty of buds and Budweiser.

Does beer make you smarter? It made Bud Wiser!

mehawk, yes they probably were. Maybe that's why they never heard the Legend of Dave the Wave. I also asked if they still went streaking after the parks closed like we did and they said, "What is streaking"? I guess it went out in the 80's.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Admiral

12 hours a semester wouldn't qualify you as a "full-time student" here.

And since then, the place I dun gradiated from is rated "top 10 party schools in North America"......

Forgive your spelling??? On any other topic I just might, but we ARE talking about higher learning, right? (My evil half said I had to get that comment in)

Old December 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Default Thanks AR

Interesting information! Thanks AR...

I also hate the 'tip jar' sitting on the take-out counter. I've seen it not only at McDonalds...but at various java joints, and even at our local Mexican food take-out...seems to be the new trend!

Hey...I'm not tipping the counter person to reach over and hand me my food. Before I do that...I'll walk around the counter and bag it myself!
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic,

At our small liberal arts college, we took 4 classes at a time. They met 3 times a week for an hour, or twice a week for an hour an half or a 3 hour night class.. I would stack them all on M-W-F or in the spring season all on T-Th with one night class. This left more time for the beach on the days with no class. We also had this thing called "Winter Term". It was one class for the whole month of January. You could do a directed study where the course was already designed or you could make one up on your own if you liked. This allowed a lot of creativity. For a business course I made up a class on how to start and run a beach business. I hung out at the beach doing my cabana rentals and selling suntan lotion for the month and on the last night, wrote a paper about what it would take to start up the business. I got an "A".

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08