Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Christmas Lights

There is a house in my neighbourhood that puts up more Christmas lights than I've ever seen - more than 35,000 this year, according to the homeowner. I had to take some photos to share with you. Here is one, the rest can be found in the Personal Photo Gallery under Christmas Lights.

donna
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That is beautiful!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Oh my....we're more of an inflatable family (much to my chagrin but it's not worth fighting about) and have just enough lights to enhance the blow ups.
Angela Z.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yeoman

The " Griswalds " !

Regards,
Ben
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Did the guy have Hydro Quebec install a 200 amp service just to light that up? It screams fire hazard (coming from someone who hooks up a temporary 100-amp service at least weekly....)

Also I hope he oiled the gymbals on his electric meter, cuz that baby is gonna spin.

Geez Loueezze.

FYI electricity 101: 35,000 x an average of 1 watt per bulb (some of those are 7 watt) = 35,000 watts

if the average household electrical circuit (15 amp) trips at 1800 watts, then this guy is running 19 circuits flat out. or 19 big-ass hair dryers.

I calculate 285 amps continuous consumption. Even if the guy has a 200 amp service (2 phase), that leaves 115 amps to power his whole house. If he uses his oven, and the water heater is going at that moment, everything might just go poof.

They must brown out in upstate NY when this guy lights up.

edited to add: I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating a bit when he said 35,000 bulbs when I think about it........

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Most of the miniture lights only draw 35 watts of power per 100 light strand, so the power consumption is not quite that bad, but the meter does spin a little faster this time of year.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Eddie> The outdoor miniatures draw a lot more than that. I hope he isn't using the indoor kind.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Wow,
Cynic beat me to the reference to Hydro Quebec - where I also get my power from, via the huge transmission lines.

How long does it take to set up this display?

If you lived next door you probably could just keep your shades open and not even have to turn on your inside lights, I'm sure the glow would illuminate anything you needed to see.

I live on a dead end, where no one gets into much decorating. It must be kind of fun to see. Does it create more traffic on your street?
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Admiral

I love Christmas lights! I have a birthday a week before Christmas, and each year one of the gifts I insist on is to make my DH take me to look at the Christmas lights. What a labor of love and what joy it must bring to many (except maybe the close neighbors ).

I just love how those of you who work with electricity, so quickly see what all happens when the switch is flipped! For me, all I know is you plug it in and they should come on! I just love being blonde!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Admiral

In reply to the Hydro Quebec question, I used to live around the corner from this house many years ago, and you could see the glow as you headed down the street. He starts putting them up the day after Halloween, but doesn't light up until Dec. 1, which of course was the ice storm and power outages last week, so it was postponed a day. Every time I go by, there's always cars, cans, and pedestrians stopped in front of the house, standing in awe!
Cynic, it would make a great fieldtrip for your kids, and not far. I'll give you directions if you want!

By the way, this guy must be at least 70-something, I don't know how he does it! His property also holds hundreds of home-made multi-level bird houses, so you can bet each one of those is decorated too!

donna
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Admiral

WOW! Now thats a lot of lights.

My DH was putting up lights at our house and a neighbor stopped by and said. Hey Griswold! HAHAHAA We put up a lot of lights.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Kudos to the gentleman and his hard work!
Donna,thanks for the pictures!
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Default Christmas Lights

I just said that night that pretty soon it will be time to drive aroundtown to see the decorated houses. Lots of fun. Glad the electric bill is somebody else's, though.

Judy