CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Real Christmas Tree or Faux? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/324483-real-christmas-tree-faux.html)

Trip December 10th, 2006 02:40 PM

Real Christmas Tree or Faux?

There was a segment on Sunday Morning on CBS, this morning all about, the biggest Christmas Store in the World, called Bronners Christmas Wonderland, in Frankenmuth Michigan.

They had EVERY imaginable artifical tree possible, some I have never even knew they made. They had an upside down corner tree.[huh?] They showed, an upside down tree on a stick????..One thing thay had, which made sense if you lived ina small space, was a half tree..A tree, sliced from the top, to the bottom, flat on one side and you could put it right up against the wall or in a corner..WHO KNEW?

Fiber optic, l.e.d two tone, all these lights to confuse us all.....Flocked, melted snow, pine cones..it's like buying a car with all these accessories!
They did say, 95 % of people, now buy a pre-lit tree. Some go together in a minute and a half!! Thay also had fahshon trees, silver chrome, colored ones, all decked out, like Diva trees:)

So, do you prefer ones you go cut yourself, picked out from a lot, or brought down from your attic or garage? Traditional green, or a retro look? How about that color wheel? I bet a hot commodity on Ebay!

I have had the real and the faux..I hate those needles! Scientists are working on that problem, they mentioned:) I also have a tabletop white. I have read they have a black tree out this year, rather expensive, but I could imagine it decorated beautifully. My tree days are over..A small tabletop green, is it for this year..I leave 2 days after the holiday for Florida ans the Century:):)

Donna December 10th, 2006 03:59 PM

Recently switched from "real" to faux. Have a beautiful fiber optic one, love it and no watering or drying out and I DON'T miss all those needles.

Sea Trekker December 10th, 2006 04:13 PM

For years we would only have a real tree. Now, being there is just the two of us, we have switched to a plastic tree.
I have the kind that are pre-lighted., add a few shiny balls, and presto, Christmas is ready.
No more shedding needles, or falling over. Now if could keep the cat from trying to climb the tree, all would be fine.
Carole 8)
Oh yeah, I forgot, we string cherrios around for mini bagels, and call it a bagelett tree, for Earl, Shalom.

JamesRT December 10th, 2006 04:13 PM

I still prefer the natural tree,but since all the work falls on the wife.I let her call the shots.I put the ornaments and lights whereever she tells me,and we have an enjoyable time decorating for the season.
This year will see a "fake" tree in the living room.

ready2gonow December 10th, 2006 04:32 PM

Love the real ones, but don't miss the needles (both on the floor and sticking me while trying to de-decorate it). Currently have faux, pre-lit, with a very traditional look. But it doesn't smell like the real ones.... alas.

CruisinK n J December 10th, 2006 05:02 PM

Real Christmas Tree or Faux?

No tree at all this year, because we leave on the 27th for the Century cruise. But normally, only a real tree will do, a seven footer, needles, dryness and all. The scent is wonderful. I have no place to store a fake tree.

My manicurist did a hairdresser's theme tree at her salon this year. Everyone loves it. My dentist's office has a theme tree, too.

Judy

Lisa December 10th, 2006 08:03 PM

Only fake for me since I was a small child and it was discovered that I am allergice to something in the pine needles. I love the smell of pine, but I hate the way I itch and break out when I touch a pine tree.

Popeye December 10th, 2006 08:05 PM

We have a real tree, 7 1/2 feet tall, and as close to 8' wide as I can get it. We have a bay window and try to get a tree that will fill as much of the window as possible. Has a lot of WOW factor. We are lucky enough to live withing 15 KM of a tree farm, and he will cut to order, so my tree isn't cut until 1 or 2 days before I go to get it. For aother real tree fans, the christmas tree preservative helps a lot too.

Angela Z. December 10th, 2006 08:31 PM

For years and years I insisted that we would only ever have real trees and for years and years we had needles, sap, holes in the tree (no, turn that side to the wall) and even a year where the tree fell a couple of times (after that we tied it to a cup hook in the ceiling with fishing line) and then it hit me......enough! I love our fake tree and how it doesn't fall over or shed needles or need water.
Angela Z.

rollerdonna December 10th, 2006 10:03 PM

I never in my life ever had a real tree, and as a child, I don't think I ever knew that people actually put real trees in their living room! I grew up with a table-top, 3ft. high white plastic tree. It wasn't until we were grown that my mom opted for a 6ft green artificial tree.
When I was newly divorced and destitute, I picked up a sickly little green artificial tree at a garage sale for $10 and have had it all these years.
Last year I splurged and bought a nice, full, 7ft artificial tree and now it really looks like Christmas!

donna

fasteddie December 11th, 2006 07:17 AM

Looks like I'm one of the few that have a real tree. It's no fun unless I have to trim the branches after we get it into the room. After all, the cats love to drink the water out of the base, so they get to have a little bit of Christmas too!

Ed

DougR. December 11th, 2006 07:23 AM

We have two beautiful "faux" trees, a 7 footer in the foyer and a 4 footer on a couch table that divides the living and family rooms. We were cured when we bought a tree a few years back that was freshly cut and went into shock and lost all of its needles within a day.

VTJen December 11th, 2006 08:03 AM

Only a fresh tree!

msblackjack December 11th, 2006 10:17 AM

I would prefer real trees, but they are such a hassle, especially with pets, my dogs always want to drink the stank water in the tree stand ?? why ?? they have good water in the dishes..

So I have a fake tree and I put pine scented oil ornaments on it and try to pretend its real...

Brenda in Canada December 11th, 2006 12:57 PM

Real, natural douglas fir=can be a Charlie Brownish tree occasionally!!lol We don't even like those 'sheared' real firs.
Came home late last night and husband had the tree up with lights on-it smelled so nice!!!!!! Hope to get it decorated in the next couple of days-have to work & I like us all to help decorate it together.
Enjoy your beautiful trees no matter if they are real or FAUX.(I love it Trip!!! Sounds so exotic!!!)
Brenda in B.C., Canada-where there are forests and forests of trees but I think our tree was from Oregon!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

LisaK December 11th, 2006 02:09 PM

its the real thing for us also, we fresh cut ours. It must be a Fraiser Fur as that is the only one that doesn't cause my allergies to go crazy. I do have to decorate it wearing surgical gloves as the needles do make my hands itch. Frasier Furs also don't shed a lot of needles.

cruisinforever December 13th, 2006 12:24 AM

Artificial tree for fifteen years and it is still beautiful. Got it after the year we were out in 10 below weather and dh kept cranking the sputtering chain saw to cut the tree. Last year for a live tree at our house!

Betty

kmm44 December 13th, 2006 05:05 PM

As kids we always had real trees, Scotch Pines. As the years went on my mom started campaining for a fake tree to reduce the danger of fire, but we resisted. In 1966 we were planning my wedding for the day after Christmas and Mom said there was NO WAY she was going to risk the house burning down with all the wedding gifts, so we got an artificial tree. In fact we got two of them when the store delivered an extra one. by mistake. They said they would pick up the 2nd one, but never did.
The next year DH and I moved into a house with a baby due on Xmas Eve and Mom lent us one of the fake trees. The next year we bought a real tree for our baby's first Xmas and then my sister said Mom was going to give us the fake tree--because she had decided to go back to a real one in the living room and put up the other fake one in the basement!!! So after that year we have always had a fake tree.
One year I asked the kids (5 of them, eventually) if they wanted a real tree and they were horrified. They said this was THEIR tree and they didn't want anthing else. That's when I stopped feeling that I was depriving them of the real tree experience.
5 years ago we bought a new fake tree, but still put up the old one in the basement. The only thing I miss about a real tree is the smell.
We have fake greenery outside, too, but it looks real and saves money.
I have so many ornaments, I almost need another tree to fit them all in. Most of them are special to me. When each of our kids left home I gave them their ornaments and still have tons. I can't imagine having a decorator doing my house for Christmas like I've seen on HGTV. It's too personal and special for me to have a stranger do it.

Cruise Cynic December 13th, 2006 05:16 PM

Trip > Why do I now picture you with a French poodle named "Phideaux"???

Cruznut2 December 13th, 2006 05:46 PM

I have not had a tree since 1980. I always had real trees. If I ever have a tree againit will be real. Christmas just is not Christmas with a plastic tree.

Laura

CruiseAholic December 14th, 2006 05:18 AM

An (and ONLY 1) artificial - a 50's silver feather plum tree (an original in superb condition).

Angela Z. December 14th, 2006 07:01 AM

Cruiseaholic....only 1????? I used to get exhausted just reading about your trees!
Angela Z.

Brenda in Canada December 18th, 2006 02:13 PM

Angela, Maybe he means only ONE FAUX tree?! Weren't all those lovely photos I saw last year from his place?
Brenda in Vancouver

CruzNut December 18th, 2006 08:52 PM

Definitely a faux tree - got a white one last year (lighted) to use this year and gave away my big green faux one with about 300 gold ornaments ... wanted to recapture some of my garage. Good thing I did cuz now I have a Muffymobile golf cart.

But, then I got Muffy in April and as she's only 10 months - don't want to tempt her with something else - so the only decorations I have up this year are a really cute Bichon Frise ornament (1st of probably many) that my best friend gave me - and a creche.

CA - my Mother was probably one of the first to have the really faux tree - silver metal with a spotlight that changed colors. She decorated the 1,000+ custom built homes my Dad built ... and was an artist in her own right - worked for the Chicago Tribune as a line artist! Nice memories.

Mgram December 19th, 2006 07:47 AM

CruiseAholic is on a cruise.......big surprise, huh?.......so I will give you the details. He and DJ completely redecorated the living room/dining room....went from very traditional to modern. It looks lovely! Since they were going to be away until late Christmas Eve, and leaving again on Jan. 5th for, YES ANOTHER CRUISE, they decided to just put up ONE tree......and that's his vintage, very modern metal tree/without the colorwheel, I think.

Angela Z. December 19th, 2006 10:13 PM

Thanks for the update Pat...nice to see you again. So for next year I'm picturing a whole new slew o trees for the new look?
Angela Z.