Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default My last day in business

Well officially the hotel and bar have been closed since Dec. 2.

We've spent the last 2 weeks having an open door garage sale, and we've had some fun selling off parts of the buildings history.

Oddly, when a lot of the people have asked "how much is this?", and I tell them to make me an offer, they seem to get stumped. It's like they want me to set the high point of where negotiations begin.

For a few days whenever anyone asked me how much anything was I'd say $1000, even it was a single plate from the coffee shop

Tomorrow morning I turn the keys over to the representatives of the City of Calgary, who bought the property...... and sometime next week the place will get be "boarded up" and fencing put around all the property.

A bit of an odd feeling today, looking around a "storied" place. And tomorrow I begin a new adventure!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Kuki, I'm sure it has been sad to watch "the place" come apart piece by piece. Have a drink tonight and toast all the memories of the past and to all that the future holds for you. Cheers!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,

It must be a time that you are going through with mixed feelings. However, a new chapter in life is always the beginning of a new adventure.

I know what you mean about the pricing thing. I can never understand it but Betty sure can. I want to get her a bumper sticker that says: "Born to Haggle." I don't think she understands that people spend hours placing price tags on stuff just for people to ask if they'll take less for it.

About every two years we have a garage sale, most of the stuff is junk she has purchased at other garage sales, and we price it and I never know what the heck to take for it when someone offers me a price so I just go ahead and say "yes". Betty usually reprimands me at a later time. BTW: We spend all the time to price stuff so we don't have to haggle. I keep telling my DW about the Golden Rule during her garage sale haggling.

I hope that the open door garage sale goes well I also hope that the next chapter in your life is a VERY good one!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Best of luck Moose Man with your "new" adventure, I'm sure it will be exciting as you make it..

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It was an interesting day.

Started off with the arrival of a crew of guys who came to try and get our safe out of the office. Now this safe was built in 1896, and weighs about 900 lbs., and was built into the shelving.

They had been told by some "safe expert" that the thing would weigh 380 lbs. Well.... the door weighed about that!

They got the door off, but to get the safe out they basically had to destroy the office. My office is a mezzanine level behind the front desk and up a few steps, which made watching this removal even more entertaining.

With the help of chain saws, and lots of sweat and determination they did get the safe out of the building... and no doubt their reward will be looking at this masterpiece for many years!

I had a 17 ft rental truck that we loaded with an assortment of things, and my guys came and helped me unload and store at home.

Mrs. Kuki thinks I'm nuts to hook up a restaurant style coffee maker direct to water, on our kitchen counter

This afternoon City crews showed up to start securing the windows and doors in preparation for tomorrow morning's turnover.

An odd day, and I didn't know how I'd feel. But... turns out I am quite HAPPY! As they are keeping the building, and incorporating it to be an intrigal part of this new urban campus for the university, and several other secondary learning institutions, I feel like we'll be a part of a wonderful new community within the downtown area. And I'm VERY excited about that!

Now for me, a few weeks of wind up bookwork, bill paying, lawyers and accountants... then a couple of cruises to RELAX. Then I'll have to decide what I'm going to be when I grow up
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Admiral

Congrats, Kuki on the end of an era. That's so nice that they will incorporate the building into their future plans. Hope your new adventure is an exciting one.

Jane

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Admiral

As Jane said the end of and era and I say the beginning of a new one !
May all your special memories help you though those times when might look back and say why did things have to change------
Cheers to you and all your new adventures---and cruises too
April
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,

I feel for Mrs. K. Adult daycare isn't fun. Betty's been doing it for four years and she can't think of any more "activities" for me.

You could always join me on the "short bus".

Take care,
Mike (Who knows you'll be into a new venture in a VERY short time)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Admiral

What are you going to do??? Let's see ummm Golf, cruise, golf, cruise, golf, cruise or you can cruise then go golfing or go on a golfing cruise or you can go golfing and cruising. I know it's tough life but I think you can buckle down and accomplish it.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
. . . . . Then I'll have to decide what I'm going to be when I grow up
Perhaps start a moose farm
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

You could always buy the hotel I work at. We need a new owner. For a small price of 6.9 million dollars ( us ) you too could own you own 122 room hotel in flroida.

Tim Ruth
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Congratulations Antlerhead, you can now join the rest of the idle in Florida. Golf is a lot of fun down here since it's incorporated with CPR duties.

I'm envious and hoping to travel that road in a few months. If you recall, I retired from my corporate position last year and have just been running the restaurant since. We have decided to sell the restaurant this winter and become senior citizens who complain about people getting in our ways.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yeoman

Default My last day in business

What seems like the end could really be a new beginning (poster over my washing machine). All the best to you and your wife in your new endeavors. My retirement lasted 90 days, but my new favorite word is part time and at least some freedom from the grind.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07