Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Head On!

Ok, when I first saw the commercial of this, talking about a commercial, of it......I thought, with all the tv I watch, I have never seen this product. Then it hit me, duh!

Love it or hate it, it does make you notice the product. So, Have you used it and does it really work? My daughter gets headaches badly, so I thought I would ask the Cruismates!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

It is the MOST annoying commercial in tv history. I don't believe it works, but if people BELIEVE it works, well the power of the mind is amazing.
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I belive if you hold an ice cube to your big toe on your left foot, that might work too......lol

Sorry

Tim
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Never doubt the power of "negative ion" technology.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have no idea if it works or not. It may act like ice on the head or it may have the same placebo effect that sea bands have.

Whatever it is, the annoying commercial deserves a Cleo and has probably made them a fortune. Their new advertising tact is to make fun of their own commercial.

I'm waiting for the commercial for their hemorrhoid medication.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am waiting for their decapitation remedy.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I read somewhere that this product does not work. Either way the ad is annoying.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Sure makes me hit the mute button every time it starts up. The ad alone will give you a headache!

Phyll
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We have the best time making fun of this commercial...
Angela Z.
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Captain

But it accomplishes what they want, people talking about their product!

Also making fun of themselves works, too, in the ad world, no matter how annoying, pretty smart!

I couldn't stand it when it first came on, still don't like it and I'm amazed at the number of people I talk to that have never seen this ad!
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Admiral

I hate the commercial. My revenge? NOT buy the product!
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Admiral

Luanne> Would you be referring to "Head Off"???

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ok, when I first saw the commercial of this, talking about a commercial, of it......I thought, with all the tv I watch, I have never seen this product. Then it hit me, duh!

Love it or hate it, it does make you notice the product. So, Have you used it and does it really work?
When I first saw this commercial, there were two features that stood out.

>> 1. As others have noted, it is quite annoying.

>> 2. It does not say that the product actually does anything. In fact, it does not even mention headaches!

So those who buy the product and discover, the hard way, that it does nothing whatsoever to cure headaches, or any other malady, have no legal recourse whatsoever!

Overall, it reminds me of an ad that promised to send the secret of success to anybody who would send $10 to an address published within in. Those who sent in $10 received a small card with a fish hook attached bearing the sage advice, "Fish for suckers." The people behind this product do it very well indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My daughter gets headaches badly, so I thought I would ask the Cruismates!
Headaches of all types are symptoms of stress that comes our way from many sources, so the best way to deal with headaches is to resolve the sources of stress that is causing tthem. Some sources of stress, such as insufficient sleep and blurred eyesight, may be fairly easy to address -- one can allow more time for sleep in one's schedule and one can take steps to deal with nagging problems that tear at one's mind when one is trying to sleep or that cause one to awaken in the middle of the night, and one must assuredly can go to an opthalmologist for an eye exam. Other sources of stress, such as medical problems that affect one's body chemistry, may require more substantial changes in our diets or lifestyles, medicine, or even surgery.

If there's no obvious cause, a person who is having frequent headaches should consult his or her physician because frequent headaches can be an early symptom of tumors in the brain.

Norm.
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

Annoying commercial #2: the BMW ad with the boy and girl screaming at the top of their lungs. Cute commercial: (tho they show it too much) the dog in the convertible with the aviator glasses.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Hate to admit it but I've never seen this commercial BUT if you're all talking about it - then it's successful and you remember the product.

I worked for one of the top 5 advertising agencies in the world and you remember our ads: Good hands people; Green Giant and Poppin' Fresh; Tony the Tiger; You've come a long way baby; Rhapsody in Blue for United Airlines; the Magnificent 7 for the Marlboro Man (that cigarette was originally made for women); Loneliest repairman in the world - and many, many more!

And, Norm - when did you become a doctor to give advice about stress based headaches - there are many other kinds too - including cluster headaches mainly afflicting men.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Norm,

It’s been my observation that products with unique and innovative marketing campaigns do well. For a short time.

Once you get past the novelty, the product must function as advertised. If it does, it has a promising future. If it doesn’t, market forces condemn it to a quick demise. No amount of quirky advertising can save a nonfunctioning product.

And I’m with the Mouse, the best way to voice your opinion about a product is with your dollars. And when enough consumers haven’t purchased this product, we won’t have to suffer through any more of its annoying commercials!

And as far as tumors go – with all of the headaches I deal with at work, maybe I should see a doctor……

Dean
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Admiral

CruzNut,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I worked for one of the top 5 advertising agencies in the world and you remember our ads: Good hands people; Green Giant and Poppin' Fresh; Tony the Tiger; You've come a long way baby; Rhapsody in Blue for United Airlines; the Magnificent 7 for the Marlboro Man (that cigarette was originally made for women); Loneliest repairman in the world - and many, many more!
Yes, several of those ad campaigns certainly were very memorable and thus effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And, Norm - when did you become a doctor to give advice about stress based headaches - there are many other kinds too - including cluster headaches mainly afflicting men.
Those of us who deal with stress management on a daily basis understand the term "stress" very, very broadly. For example, an allergen is considered to be a source of stress for those who are allergic to it. A tumor also is a source of stress because it consumes the body's resources, and any kind of infection is a source of stress for the same reason. Poor diet is also a source of stress because it deprives the body of essential nutrients. The effects of different types of stress generally are cumulative, so a person experiencing small amounts of stress from several of these and other sources may in fact be under a very severe stress load due to the aggregate impact. And when you come right down to it, medical studies have consistently shown that stress also shows a direct correlation with incidence of tumors and many other physical maladies that you might not associate with stress. IOW, stress management is fundamental to our well-being. I'm not familiar with the term "cluster headaches" of which you speak, but they probably are a symptom of some kind of stress.

But if you reread my earlier post carefully, you'll note that I did not dispense medical advice but rather made a couple general comments related to the well-known causal link between stress and headaches, then said that anybody who has recurring headaches with no identifiable cause should see a physician about the matter.

Norm.