Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Opinions

I loved the CC class on the Century..we had flowers on the desk and in the bathroom, great bedding,with nice pillows, & very nice towels...canapes offerred each night that did not look too appetizing though champagne, not opened.....great corner balcony

This room was very nice, the tv was a killer....tons of storage, and utra comfortable. We enjoyed it immensely.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to this level...but I wonder, would we book this cabin again? I would love to, but is there enough inncentive?
Are the regular cabins that different?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Captain

Good question, Trip and I'll be interested to read the answers! :-)

I usually sail alone so the answer is no and even with a friend, probably not! I don't think that class is worth the extra bucks.

This cruise did not make me want to come back to Celebrity but to stick with Princess and RCI!
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I had the SV cabin on Deck 12 that did not come with the CC amenities but it was a "slightly" larger cabin with a larger balcony. The SV cabins on the ends had micro balconies so Mary Lou and Steve got cheated.

I liked the cabin itself but would not book that cabin again. The noise from the Sunset Bar in the evening and the tie downs from the overhead tarp were far too loud. Also, it was far from private. People from below could see up to the balcony. I waved at Mary Lou as she was eating her breakfast and she waved back. That was nice but you feel a little "exposed" out there.

I have posted some photos of the cabin in the photo gallery:

Century SV Cabin 1246

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Admiral

We had the same CC cabin Trip, and nice as it was, with all the little extras, it was just too small! Even without the 3rd person in the room, there was little room to maneuvre around. With a 3rd, rather large person and a fold-away bed added, it was ridiculously tight! I had to keep asking James to back up into the bathroom so I could open the closet, or Tyler to back out on the balcony so I could get at the vanity table/bar counter!!
The only thing I did like was the slightly larger than average shower, at least a little room to move around in there!

donna
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Admiral

RD> Sounds like it is just big enough for moi. Mrs. Cynic would need her own suite...

(I'm joking. We both fit into an inside on Dawn Princess, and if we fit there, we can fit anywhere)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Admiral

One of the reasons I keep going back to Disney is the inside cabin size. It is a huge cabin with plenty of space and seperate bathtub/ toilet rooms. I never had more than 2 people in there but I know a 3rd person would be no problem.

At least you guys had a great group time
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Well, Here is my 2 cents worth.
While we loved the extras, flowers, canapys,etc.
The cabin is to small for our taste. I like the HAL cabins much better. there balcony is smaller, but that is ok, next time on Celebrity we will book a mini suite.
I think the ship as a whole was very luxurious, and I like the lay out, size, and other amenities on board.
Carole 8)
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Trip, you really are asking two separate questions: the CC amenities and also cabin size.

Most of the comments seem to be against the size of the cabin. I was not onboard but when we booked we had chosen CC cabin and I knew it was small. However, we booked for the amenities. I like to have the amenities (along with some more like all inclusive water, soft drinks, and liquor) that the CC cabins come with so it was worth it for me to book it. I still find the Sky Suites on Century too expensive to justify; it would be better to move up to a luxury line if we were to book the Sky Suites.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Marc, size really never entered my thoughts,when asking this question..I had no issues with the size of the cabin...most of the niceties, we enjoyed, would I pay, lots extra to have them, that was my point.

Old January 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Admiral

It was nice to have the amenities. Mark, I was not aware that the soda and drinks were complimentary in the rooms. We usually book a mini suite which comes with a butler on Celebrity, but we really don't need that service. We've always enjoyed the larger room and bath that comes with that. I guess I liked everything except the late afternoon canape service. They were really not good, and we just hung the do not disturb sign on our door after the first few days.

Phyll
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Hummmmmm...interesting.....

We've booked Sky suites and the CC suites on Celebrity's Mercury and Infinity...and the refrig. drinks were NOT included.

(Trip...would we book the CC again for those extra services? I think not...we would just booked a mini-suite. We do also appreciate the size of HAL's suites/cabins. They are bigger! We love Celebrity..but gosh...their cabins are small!)
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Speaking of cabin size.

The first time you see your cabin, you say, "What could be smaller than this?" Then you open the bathroom door!

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Soda and liquor are not complimentary in the suites on Celebrity. I think Marc was referring to the cabins on Regent Seven Seas.

Also there really isn't a "mini-suite" designation on Celebrity. There is the NS "Century Suite which is actually a mini-suite. They are pretty small. On the other ships the Sky Suites are around 250 square feet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Admiral

We had a CC cabin on our honeymoon. We decided that the amenities weren't really that great and that we wouldn't do it again.

The only one that had us saying, "ehhh... maybe..." was the expanded in-room breakfast menu. I still miss that.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 14th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't pay the extra for CC class again ... actually, I won't travel on Celebrity again. Still think Princess beats it hands down in so many ways - friendlier crew and service, food much better in Princess's dining room over Century's dining room (though Murano's was excellent), real refrigerators, fresh water pools, drinks, specialty coffees much less on Princess ... that really gets me that Celebrity charges so much! Had to ask for the Cova chocolates every time I got a latte - supposed to come with. Sailaway day they supposedly didn't have any but she took one from a secret store. They hadn't done their inventory yet so no chocolates - come on ... didn't they know people were coming!!!

I did like the fresh flowers and canapes - steward barely talked. The breakfast menu was great and I took advantage of it every day - though often things were missing. What got me was that the CC breakfast menu was better than the Penthouse menu - in that I got hot cereal, smoothies, and several other choices. Nancy wrote the extras in on her Penthouse menu and got them but they were NOT included ... unbelievable. On Princess, I've always added things that weren't listed and got them.

I dropped off one of my CC menus to Nancy's Penthouse when we were just going out for dinner. When we got back, it was gone - that was interesting butler service (of course, he was the invisible man on the whole). Gave her another CC menu later that night and that's when she wrote in the extras on her Penthouse menu.

The drinks of water, liquor, beer, etc. were definitely NOT free in CC. In fact, I made the steward remove them all so that I could put the ice bucket in there in hopes the ice wouldn't melt immediately. With all that extra room, it didn't. Plus I didn't want to be accidentally billed for something I hadn't used.

Did like the different towels in the bathroom, hand lotion and special shampoo (no conditioner in my CC cabin but maybe that's the way it was all over) and the shower was good size. The wall hair dryer didn't work but I had brought mine own - didn't try the one that was on a shelf in the bathroom. The sink was ridiculous - water always splashed out ... and interior shelf space in the bathroom was mostly given over to extra stock of Kleenex, garbage, plumbing pipes, and the extra hair dryer --- very limited use for your own things except the glass shelves.

The night table was also ridiculous - the size of a telephone - so moved the phone to the other side to be able to use the space for my things.

In spite of all this, I had a great time BUT that was because of being with good friends - old and new.

Liked the little leather holder to keep your Sign and Sail card in and the purse/shopping bag I got on the 4th night ... don't know if that's just for CC or for what class cabin.

Found out late just where the note paper was hidden and someone told me if you took the pad, they'd charge you $14 (that wasn't noted any place I could see). My stationery had the wrong title - and is a complete waste of time.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

From reading this I do believe there was a real lack of consistency in service and it can be this way on many ships but because I spoke with so many people on this ship I believe it was more widespread.

My own personal experience in the cabin service area was different. Our stewardess, Melissa was excellent. Our cabin was ready at 12:30 p.m. and Melissa introduced herself and showed us all of the features immediately. She also made sure we had our extra towel each day. She also went the extra mile on the day I had to have my dinner in the cabin. She also made sure that I was OK on one day when I wasn't feeling well and checked on me each hour until I told her that she didn't need to. (I needed to sleep)

We did have the latest luggage arrival we have ever had on any ship but that can't be helped. It still arrived before dinner so I can't really complain. It was just a bit more important on this trip because of the "stuff" i had in it.

In the Cova Cafe, while the coffee was overpriced, the service was fine and I guess I received the extra chocolates that others didn't receive. I do prefer the HAL Coffee Bar that is more like a Starbuck's or Caribou type of coffee bar and a more realistic price.

Our dining room staff of Cruz and Imam (sp) were quite up to par and while not the greatest we've had they were very efficient and I would take them as a team on any cruise. The only negative was that I never saw my Coke after the first night of the cruise nor was Betty ask if she wanted a drink. This was not a big deal.

The things I did notice on this cruise were: The dining room food quality had dropped on THIS sailing from my 2004 sailing on Millennium from excellent to good. The veal was overcooked and bland. On one evening I decided to have Quail and while the sauce was good the bird was a dried out piece of pigeon. This includes the breast. The most depressing part were that the desserts were basically boring. Creme Brule was a standard custard with the burnt sugar topping and to top it off the custard was curdled. The rest of the dining room desserts were bland. It was pointed out and I somewhat agreed that the buffet desserts seemed to be better. Celebrity had always been my dream for their desserts and freshness. These desserts now seemed like they had been held, had less cream in them and lower quality ingredients.

OK: Enough of my opinions. Even with this: Would I sail Celebrity again? Heck yes. The service, for me was great, the cabin, other than location was fine and the cabin service excellent, however, other than Murano's, it didn't live up to it's signature cuisine that I had once enjoyed.

Take care,
Mike (Now if Carnival would get rid of the singing and dancing waiters each night..............)

Old January 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

We had the NS Century Suite catagory,,,which was a very nice ,,,but I have had the same size cabin on NCL and it was just a regular balcony,,,,so tell me how do they get away with calling it a "suite" ???

Although I'm not complaining at all,,,we enjoyed it,,,and must say the balcony was the biggest we have EVER had.

Not to mention cruising with this group made it extra special.

I didn't care for the dinner setup,,,we had late seating,,,8:30p.m and they were so slow that by the time we got out it was close to 10;30 every night. Alot of times we had to skip dessert to see the late shows. Which I suppose is not a bad thing. <bg> But I did agree with Mike about the Creme Brulee,,,not good. (the one night I did get dessert)

Our cabin attendents were good,,,we had the butler service. Very interesting,,,he was on the spot with everything we asked him to do.

Over all it was a great time we had. But again it was because of great friends old and new,,,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Admiral

Steve, that was a funny line...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Even though we enjoyed the different amenities in our CC cabin, we probably wouldn't spend the extra money to book one next time. Reason: the cabin seemed smaller than the outside cabin we were in 3 weeks previously on the Century. There wasn't as much shelf space, and the desk (dressing table) was much smaller. The safe in the closet was up way too high so we could hardly reach it to get our jewelry, etc. when needed. We did like the better shower head and much nicer towels than the sandpaper-like ones we had in the regular outside cabin. The flowers were nice but not necessary, and the canapes were nothing to write home about. The best thing about the CC cabin was that the full breakfast menu was available. We sure enjoyed that out on our balcony.
Cindy
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Opinions

I'm glad Cindy commented on the fact that the safe was way too high. I couldn't reach in it.

The cabin was ridiculously small for a Concierge Level on any ship. The canapes were terrible. I did enjoy the fresh flowers. Our cabin steward was inconspicuous, just the way I like it. I also liked that Celebrity didn't do all of those silly annoucements and didn't do games or "waiter shows" at dinner. They just did their jobs the way they were supposed to.

We both thought the food was great. Keith fell in love with the pastry chef!

Overall, I enjoyed Celebrity, but I doubt if we'd cruise with them again. Cabin size is important to us (as we both found out!), and we'd have to spend quite a bit more for something decent sized, too much, in fact.

Judy
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Cabins on my other cruises have always been smaller, with the exception of my Zuiderdam cruise.. This cabin did not seem small to me, with the exception of the area in front of the bed... one at a time please..Because we were the last cabin before the aft balconies, we had an extended corner, which was great..I did find the desk small, but, storage was amazing compared to other ships.

I spent more time in this cabin, then I ever did before..the creme brule was to die for for us, but for the most part..the food was just good...Murano's was a treat for us, with great pals, but for us as a couple doing it, 3 hrs would be way to long.

The anticipation, the Century bds, the live chats, all the gang, new and old
pals, was what made the difference on this cruise..We could have been a freighter, just being with all of you, made it a pleasure.

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I too spent more time in this cabin than on many other cruises. I actually spent more time (awake) in this cabin than on my fourteen day China cruise.

My regret is that all I can really comment on in regard to the ship is the food, cabin and the fun of being with the great group. I never saw a show nor did I visit a venue other than the casino on two, short, occasions, the Crystal room for karaoke, the buffet/Sunset Lounge, Cova Cafe and a couple of venues for trivia. I really didn't tour the ship or get a true appreciation of it like I do on most cruises. I wish I had. Then again, to turn a phrase: "If wishes were ships, beggars would cruise."

Take care,
Mike

Old January 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Mike, I guess, for the two of us, this was the situation, neither of us at our best..I went to the ventriliquist show, I sat by the pool once, and I really never looked at the daily newspaper... had one port day..But if you asked me did I have a good cruise, I would smile and say, YES, I had a great cruise, in spite of it all.....isn't there an old song..That old gang of mine?