Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel
Default Help with flying please!!!!

Okay here is a question for those that have no problem flying. I have been on 2 cruises so far and one island vacation..have an upcoming cruise on the Glory this weekend and flyout Friday AM. Well my nerves are shot...I hate to fly. I will not take anything to knock myself out, but I am an aboslute wreck when it comes to boarding, flying even when we level off all the way up until the pilot states okay we are now decending and will be landing kind of thing. Then bang, all sence of fear is gone and I can talk smile eat doesnt matter. Why is this do you supose? Some might say my fear is not too bad as I get on the plane every year to go on vacation, this is true. But if you had to live with our Canadain winters, I fight the fear all the way there. Please help, I would like to relax and enjoy the flight rather than what I do.
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Admiral

I too have the worst fear of flying, but too scared to take anything for it; even though I have an RX for X---anax... but lucky for me we fly out of Tampa International and they open their bar really earlin in the am when we fly out and two bloody mary's (doubles) in the morning make it almost bearable, but darn near close to panic attack. I don't have as much of a problem on the return flight. I just try to start reading a book too and just keep reading until we are at cruising altitude.... I have flown taking the RX and it does help a little, but the drinks work better...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Help with flying please!!!!

AmazingAngel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Okay here is a question for those that have no problem flying. I have been on 2 cruises so far and one island vacation..have an upcoming cruise on the Glory this weekend and flyout Friday AM. Well my nerves are shot...I hate to fly. I will not take anything to knock myself out, but I am an aboslute wreck when it comes to boarding, flying even when we level off all the way up until the pilot states okay we are now decending and will be landing kind of thing. Then bang, all sence of fear is gone and I can talk smile eat doesnt matter. Why is this do you supose? Some might say my fear is not too bad as I get on the plane every year to go on vacation, this is true. But if you had to live with our Canadain winters, I fight the fear all the way there. Please help, I would like to relax and enjoy the flight rather than what I do.
Unfortunately, there's only one way to cure that condition. You have to fly much more frequently until flying becomes second nature and it no longer plagues you. And the more connections, the better.

And the best way to force yourself to fly is to book much more frequent cruises. If you take a cruise each month, you probably will find that you no longer fear flying within a year or two. Of course, "long weekend" trips to visit friends or relatives in distant cities also will help.

Norm.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Help with flying please!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
AmazingAngel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Unfortunately, there's only one way to cure that condition. You have to fly much more frequently until flying becomes second nature and it no longer plagues you. And the more connections, the better.

And the best way to force yourself to fly is to book much more frequent cruises. If you take a cruise each month, you probably will find that you no longer fear flying within a year or two. Of course, "long weekend" trips to visit friends or relatives in distant cities also will help.

Norm.
Why Norm that is the perfect solution!!!!!!!! cruise more to get over your fear of flying..... just perfect
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Wow Norm, thanks for the tip cruise more to fly more. My question to you is are YOU going to finance my cruises and flying. Cruises are cheap but boy flights from Canada are outragous in price. Love the idea of cruising each month.
Laughed at your message though thank you. As a matter of fact this flight has 2 connecting flights. I use to LOVE flying, dont know since I have had children I have developed this fear. Strange, huh. I have checked out books and stuff...oh well I will over come it some day. I hope.
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I assume by now you have Googled "nervous flyers" and found the absolute barrage of information about this subject on the web, including suggestions, hints, checklists galore.

If none of that helps (and I've got to believe that some of it would), try talking it through with a pilot. People have stopped my son at airports and poured their souls out to him. Sometimes being reassured that the people up front value their lives as much as you do yours helps a lot. One thing most experts seem to agree on: being afraid of flying is a learned behavior (we're not born with this fear); therefore we can also learn not to be afraid.

Seriously, booze and drugs are not the best answer to this problem.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Angel,

I'm right there with you about flying. But for me, it's a matter of heights as opposed to the actual flying. I don't like being several miles off the ground!

So, the ascent, and level flight are very unnerving for me, but once we begin decending, I feel a LOT better. I don't know why -- we're still several miles off the ground -- but perhaps the thought of returning to safety makes me feel better.

I'm sure a psychiatrist could explain all of this better. Would be interesting to understand this better!

Happy cruising,

Dean
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

AR has it right. The people up front will not pull back from the gate until everything checks and believe me there are a multitude of checks they have to go through before they will let it fly. If it doesn't then you set on the on the tarmac or at the gate and get mad and curse the pilot, the cabin crew and the airline but it's being done for your own safety. It's a pain in the rear but there is a reason. Even if it's a light bulb that isn't working.

The pilots have families and want to get home just as much as you do. Be secure in knowing that they aren't going to fly a plane they don't feel is safe. Also, no matter what negative things you may hear from isolated incidents, the people flying the plane REALLY do know what they are doing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Seriously, booze and drugs are not the best answer to this problem.
I concur

I had a paralyzing irrational fear of snakes, to the extent I was terrified even to cross a mowed lawn. For the most part I gutted it out, but finally sought professional help when a chance encounter with a garter snake damn near caused a meltdown. About a dozen sessions of counseling and a couple of controlled reptile encounters worked wonders. While I did not become one of those folks who keep pet snakes, I have even encountered rattlers since then without any reaction except respectful caution. The same kind of treatment works for fear of flying also, one of those in my phobic group was terrified to fly (we were in the Air Force ) and she not only overcame the fear but ended up getting her pilot licence.

You are not crazy if you seek therapy, that is true only if you don't.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Passenger

I hear you about the heights issue, I am terrified of heights as well. I dont really think it is about the plane per say. I have confidence with the pilots doing their job, I really do its the take off...sometimes I find it hard to breathe..then I feel better somewhat when we reach 37, 000 ft it starts all over again right up until I feel the plane starting to come down. I too think its knowing we are landing soon. Maybe its the feeling of not being in control who knows. What tipped off this fear even more was on our very first cruise ever we landed in Huston(sp) for our flight to Miami. We were not even in the air 30 mins when the plane free fell. All I could do was grab my hubby and say...."OMG the kids" they were at home. Yes it was the dreaded drop that they say happens once in a blue moon kind of thing. That in tail, was the only bad flight I have experienced thank goodness for that. With the turbulence you might laugh at me but I litterally state outloud "Its just a bump in the road" which books I have read told me to do. This helps somewhat. I do think however, I will speak to someone about this as when we take our children on our next cruise I want them to enjoy the experience and not have fear like me. Thanks everyone!
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

You don't have a fear of flying you have a fear of crashing! I don't have the fear of flying but I do find that if I read a book I kind of forget about the fact that we are flying. Another idea would be to bring a portable DVD player with and watch a favorite movie that will last the whole flight it should take your mind off it. Just an idea.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingAngel
........I do think however, I will speak to someone about this as when we take our children on our next cruise I want them to enjoy the experience and not have fear like me. Thanks everyone!
I respect that you want your children to enjoy the experience. I know how difficult that will be for you. When our son was young, one thing my DH alwasy told me whenever I would be afraid in a situation, was that "Fear breeds fear." It is true. If you keep an outward appearance of normalcy, it will help them. Good luck, to you.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Sometimes drinking lot's of booze helps but don't overdo it or they won't let you on the plane, unless of course you're wearing a pilot's uniform.

I have flown a bunch for my corporate job and went through the progression of loving it, to hating it, to tolerating it, to loving it again. I never was fearful, per se, but the thought of crashing because of the number of flights I'd been on became more prevalent.

Look at how many flights there are each day, over 20,000, and rarely is there a crash. Those are pretty favorable safety statistics.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

I'm going to recommend a book which another poster on this forum (belgique) recommended to my DH, which helped him immensely.

The book is "White Knuckles: Getting Over the Fear of Flying." It's out of print but you should be able to find it fairly easily.

My husband was still nervous the first time he flew, but having read this book (and taken a couple of X anax) he was perfectly calm and able to deal with it.

Look it up, I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Admiral

As a pilot, I find it hard to understand why something I love so much, makes others nervous. I've found that sometimes it helps if I explain exactly what's happening aboard the aircraft,,,,what each little noise is,,,and why that panel is moving and what that big "klunk" was. Why are we "flying in circles" or why has the nose pitched down a bit, etc, etc, etc. As someone else stated, the trip to the airport is far more dangerous than the ride in the airplane, but the fact that you don't understand as much about the airplane ride makes it far more uncomfortable. Just remember why you're aboard,,,,,,to get aboard a Cruise Ship!

Ken
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Admiral

I've also read "White Knuckles". While it's a old book, the author explains the take-off, the "bumps" in the sky and the landing procedure.
As Ken said, it would be great if the pilot would explain what's going on (maybe on the earphones?)!

I'm still not comfortable flying, but I can do it with only 1 mg of Valium, some nose drops, some gum and DH holding my hand !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I've flown since I was a child and now I'm a grandmother. I've flown across the Atlantic, crossed the dateline and tons of other stuff. When I fly I only get nervous during takeoffs and landings because my dad told me that is when most crashes occur. As soon as we level off I'm okay on takeoff. When the wheels hit the runway I can relax on landings. I like to read and look at the skymall catalog. I never buy anything but it's fun to look.