Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Default Another cruise ship with virus???

May not be true, but I just heard from somebody, that heard if from somebody else, that another ship came into Miami with people sick. Anybody heard that news? Seems like most of the time I hear about a virus on a ship it is one that comes into Miami. That is why my BF says he will not leave on a ship out of there. I would love to book the Thanksgiving 2007 cruisemates cruise, BUT, it is out of Miami Don't know if I will ever change his mind.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Seems like most of the time I hear about a virus on a ship it is one that comes into Miami.
Sorry, but that's too funny!

First off the noro virus isn't near as common as people think - because of the media coverage when it does happen on a ship. There are thousands of sailings a year that are never affected, but they don't like to talk about the long odds.

Bet you have more outbreaks in the schools, hospitals, and nursing homes in your own city than on all the cruise ships combined in the past year.

When there have been outbreaks they certainly aren't isolated to Miami. The last relatively big one I believe was the Carnival Liberty transatlantic cruise. That cruise ended in Miami

Last summer there were several cruise ship outbreaks... and they were in Alaska.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

No, no, I'm not blaming the virus on cruise ships, I know better than that. It can start anywhere. All I was saying was that when I do hear about a ship that has come in with people sick from a virus, it seems to always come into Miami. I know most of them are the transatlantic ships that have brought it from over seas. I know there are thousands of cruises that nobody EVER gets sick and the media likes to "play it up" when a ship does come in with people sick. I don't blame Miami either. It was just a statement. As I said I would love to book the Thanksgiving cruise out of Miami. Once my BF gets something in his head (the Miami/virus connection) it is so hard to convince him otherwise. I never blame the cruise lines for people getting aboard that are already sick. You can't ask everyone boarding "hey are you sick? If you are you can't come aboard". I understand that I don't want to start a war here. I might actually get to meet all of you one day.

Old January 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

I didnt mean my post to attack you. Honest! I just thought it was a funny conclusion.

As I said though.. when the outbreaks have occurred, they've been all over the place, not just Miami.

Hope you can indeed get your BF and you over it, and willing to take the chance on joining us. Though seeing me could make you sicker than NoroWalk
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The largest cruise ship ports are Miami and Fort Lauderdale, because of this, the odds are that the greatest number of outbreaks would be from these ports.

This year is a very bad year for Norovirus across the county. San Quentin was recently put into quarantine. There are numerous outbreaks around the country. Do a Google News search on Norovirus and you will see that it "Isn't just a cruise ship illness" but one that gets a lot of publicity when it occurs on a cruise ship.

If it happens in any contained environment, cruise ship, nursing home, or other place it can spread very quickly and can be very bad for people with compromised immune systems or are in frail health.

Take care and wash your hands.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Another cruise ship with virus???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
May not be true, but I just heard from somebody, that heard if from somebody else, that another ship came into Miami with people sick. Anybody heard that news? Seems like most of the time I hear about a virus on a ship it is one that comes into Miami. That is why my BF says he will not leave on a ship out of there. I would love to book the Thanksgiving 2007 cruisemates cruise, BUT, it is out of Miami Don't know if I will ever change his mind.
Cruiseships only account for 10% of the reported norovirus cases; however, restaurants account for 36%; so you can tell your boyfriend he is safer on a cruise than going to a restaurant; that may help convince him to go.

re: recent cruise; I think you are referring to the Queen Elizabeth 2; it left out of England and stopped in Port Everglades around Jan 2;
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I gotta relay this story. I spoke to someone who was to cruise Freedom of the Seas. I guess Freedom had back to back cruises with the virus so RCCL had to delay his cruise to sanitize the ship. I think he said they missed two ports. However, because of the delay RCCL paid of the Miami hotel and refunded 50% of the cruise money then give him a 50% discount if he booked a cruise within one year. He was very excited and has booked another RCCL cruise on Liberty this time. There was no outbreak on his cruise RCCL did that because of the delay and missed ports. I was jealous.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Turns out this recent outbreak is on the QM2... which is arriving in Acapulco. It left from Ft. Lauderdale 16 days ago, and is on its world cruise. 238 crew and passengers affected.
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Admiral

That may have been it, I heard it from somebody that lives in NH. Like I said I have never faulted the cruise lines, it's not them. I'm working on the BF. He is stubborn though. If the Thanksgiving cruisemates cruise was leaving out of anywhere in Florida but Miami I might not have a problem. It is a long drive from our home (in the panhandle) and flying in not an option. If we don't do that one, we are taking one in the fall to the Eastern Caribbean, I think. But, back to the virus. When I posted that question I was not in anyway saying the cruise line was at fault. It just seems like most of the time I hear about a ship coming in with people ill, it is a ship coming into Miami. I'm sure it happens at any port at one time or another. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Maybe one of these days there will be a cruisemates cruise that I can actually book and get to meet all of you very nice people.

Old January 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe one of these days there will be a Cruisemates cruise that I can actually book and get to meet all of you very nice people.
After all of the advice and statistics we've given it will be the first one that goes into "Code Red", Norovirus lock down, and your BIL will be able to tell us all "I told you so".

Seriously: I do look forward to meeting you and thanks for being part of the boards.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I just saw a ticker on the news about a hotel in NY, I think, The Hilton that has had to shut down because of the norovirus making guest ill. I wonder if that will be reported on as much as if it were a cruise ship

Old January 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
I just saw a ticker on the news about a hotel in NY, I think, The Hilton that has had to shut down because of the norovirus making guest ill. I wonder if that will be reported on as much as if it were a cruise ship
wouldn't it be ironic if these guests were scheduled for a cruise from new york...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Passenger

There is nationwide outbreak of norivirus right now.

Our town- all nursing homes are locked down. They can't get control of it. I work with kids- and I had trouble last week- and when they said it might be norivirus- I said gosh- I wasn't even on a cruiseship...
Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Imagine my surprise to a story on our newscast this morning about illnesses in a Washington, DC hotel. They are doing a complete cleaning of all the rooms....cleaning carpets, drapes etc. Funny, they never said the word "Noro-virus"....but my money is on that! Had it been a ship....that is all you would have heard.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

That was the one, Washington DC, I just caught a quick look as it went across the bottom of the screen, I thought it was NY.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janmd
There is nationwide outbreak of norivirus right now.

Our town- all nursing homes are locked down. They can't get control of it. I work with kids- and I had trouble last week- and when they said it might be norivirus- I said gosh- I wasn't even on a cruiseship...
Jan
Happen here too...in some local rest homes and a hospital! Several of my friends even had it and they don't cruise!