About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western
Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly
lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining
room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys,
etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the
lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he
only knew that s he had been on board for the last four cruises,
As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I
don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a
So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble,
I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a
nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations on a Princess
and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per
day. That leaves $65 a day for:
1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.
2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have
breakfast-in-bed every day of the week).
3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.
4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.
5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5
worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.
7. T. V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress
replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your
8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.
9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if
you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade yo u to a
suite for the rest of your life.
Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?
Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing
home, just call shore to ship.
PS: And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side -- at no charge
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Yah! know what..... I got this in an email... I LOVED IT>...... I work in a nursing home and I couldn't wait to send this out to all the ppl that I now.... IT IS AWSOME!!!! HOW SMART IS THAT... GREAT!!!!
SOUNDS WONDERFULL TO ME... SO ALL YOU OUT THERE TAKE THIS ADVISE THIS IS AWESOME SO FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE AROUND MY AGE.. OF 44.... WHICH SHIP DO YOU WANT TO CRUISE INSTEAD OF RETIREMENT HOME.
Disney Magic - 2004
Holland American - 1988
Carnival - 1982
Yes, yes...I read of an single older woman who did that...I think I read it in the AARP news bullitin...She felt she had the best of both worlds...made friends with the staff and crew, and everyday was an adventure.
My husband thinks it's a great idea! The worst thing to do as you get older is to slow to a 'stop'!!!!! You'll rust