Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gspin2k1
Default How strict is the drinking age on cruise ships?

So my party of 6 (including my family and girlfriend) are going on an Alaska cruise either with Holland America Line or Princess Cruises to Alaska. Everyone in my group is over 21 except for one person who is 20, and we are from Guam where the drinking age is 18+.
So we are quite used to the entire group going out for drinks and celebrating the few times the entire family can get together. Due to some other's confusion, no we're not out to get my little brother (who is 20) "wasted" and/or get anyone thrown off the ship. We'd hate to go out with 5 ppl and tell my little brother "Sorry dude, you gotta stay in the cabin and watch TV all night while we all go out and party because you're a year too young", and if we were to stay in the room as a group, I know he'd feel guilty as if he was ruining everyone else's fun. So I was just curious how easy or hard it may have been for others who may have been in similar type situations to "bend" the rules onboard.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The 20 yr old wouldn't be allowed to purchase their own drinks. If the ones who are old enough were to buy it, no one will be checking that close to see who's drinking it.

Though... if something were to happen to someone underage who was drinking too much, I wouldn't want to be the person found responsible for giving them alcohol illegally.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Kuki's right -- use some discretion and common sense, and you should be OK.

Dean
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There was a recent incident on a P & O ship where a group of obviously underage kids was seen by many passengers drinking at a deck party (where they obtained the booze was not mentioned). It led to date rape and a 16-year old girl trying to jump overboard (she was seen and restrained).

I realize this thread is started by people legally old enough to drink. I just wanted to comment that I hope the cruise lines are diligent about not serving high school aged kids drinks, especially if they are obviously intoxicated.

The incident I refer to happened near Australia, which had another incident in 2002 of a woman being slipped a drug in a drink and then molested and killed. no responsibility on the cruise line there ( thepeople involved were all in their 30s), but point is that when it comes to bad things happening on cruise ships, and it truly is very rare, alcohol is almost always involved.

Look at George Smith - everyone involved was so drunk no one remembers what happened that night. What an alibi. "I was passed out at the other end of the ship, so I don't know what happened that night."

Have fun on your cruise, but drink responsibly. Don't get so drunk you miss the fun in port the next day.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

If you are not at the legal age to drink,don't.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Admiral

gspin2k1............you say your from a place that 18+ is the drinking age??? Last time I checked Bellevue's drinking age is 21.........maybe I'm being petty......but.........

Sharon
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS80
gspin2k1............you say your from a place that 18+ is the drinking age??? Last time I checked Bellevue's drinking age is 21.........maybe I'm being petty......but.........

Sharon
Sharon,
If you MUST know...Yes I currently live in Bellevue, and i'm 23. My family is from Guam, I was born and raised there, and the legal drinking age there is 18. Although in reality it's more like Europe and you can drink at around 15 as long as you're not DWI and making a fool out of yourself.
We're going on a family trip plus my gf. Everyone in the group is over 21 except my little brother who is 20. Our group is quite used to going out at night as a family for social drinks, and doesn't like celebrating with a little champagne the few times the entire family gets together. Like I said earlier...it'd be quite mean of us to go out and leave one person in the cabin saying "sorry, you're too young, we're gonna go out and party and you can watch TV all night by yourself"...and if we were to remain in the cabin as a group at night...Yes it'd still be fun, but i'm sure my little brother would feel guilty as if he was ruining everyone's fun for the night. We're not out to get a minor "wasted" and/or anyone thrown off a ship, but we like celebrating as a family. And that's all i was asking about was..just how strict cruises tend to be..(if my little brother was 18 or younger I wouldn't have even bothered asking). Thank you for everyones responses though.

~G
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The 20 yr old wouldn't be allowed to purchase their own drinks. If the ones who are old enough were to buy it, no one will be checking that close to see who's drinking it.

Though... if something were to happen to someone underage who was drinking too much, I wouldn't want to be the person found responsible for giving them alcohol illegally.
Kuki and Dean,
Thanks your answers sounds to me like what I figured it'd be like. I edited my original post because I think some people thought I was out to get my little brother drunk and cause a ruckus on board (not the way my family is). yeah we're definitely more the type who just likes to dine as a family, have some champagne at dinner..good times. Anyway I appreciate everyone's responses.
~Gavin
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Please.... if you are under age, don't do it and don't get me started on this again...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Gavin.............sorry............didn't realize that you were from Guam.....just read the Bellevue.......

Like the others said......it can be done....just be careful........

Sharon
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Is it really important that everyone go out to drink? If you're so concerned about your little brother being left out, why not bypass the drinks and do some sort of activity that doesn't leave him out??

Which is more important, the drinking or your brother?

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: How strict is the drinking age on cruise ships?

In my experience, you won't have any problems whatsoever buying drinks for your little brother. As Kuki said, no one will be checking ages of people drinking.

It's not like a bar in the USA where it's illegal. On the ship it's just a policy, so the whole business is taken much more lightly.

Cheers, Aidan
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Okay sounds like it's gonna be what I expected..kind've a grey area as long as you're smart about it. Yeah my family isn't only about drinking, but we figured a little glass of champagne/wine at dinner or in the room wouldn't hurt anyone..we just didn't want to get thrown off for it. I guess i'll just play it by ear. But I just wanna say thanks for everyone's contributions...really helpful .
~Gavin
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
First Mate

And on another note. Surely 21 years of age being the legal drinking age is ridiculous now. I can vote, join the army, die for my country but God forbid I drink a beer.
18 or 19 years of age is perfectly acceptable all over the world. Why do the US continue this assenine age limit.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I can vote, join the army, die for my country but God forbid I drink a beer.
18 or 19 years of age is perfectly acceptable all over the world. Why do the US continue this assenine age limit.
I don't think it's ridiculous that you can't drink at 18. I think it's ridiculous that you can do all the other things you mention at 18.

Sorry.. but at 18 people are still kids. I know... I was one at 18, as were my sons at 18. There's generally a huge amount of growth in personal understanding and responsibility in the 4 or 5 years between your 18th and 22, or 23 birthdays.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Kuki,
Well said.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

What's wrong wit a night on the town drinking non-alcoholic drinks?

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Gavin, why does your "little" brother have to stay in his cabin while the rest of you go out and drink? Pardon me for stating the obvious, but there's no reason he can't join you in the bars, on deck or anywhere else, and stick to soft drinks. He can still enjoy the fun, just will not be able to legally purchase alcohol. Wouldn't you rather have him with you, even if he can't drink?

Both my kids are legal drinking age at home , over 18, but cannot drink on a ship (over 21) but still managed to have a good time with soft drinks and all the wonderful activities onboard.

donna
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You can also get the foo foo drinks without alcohol. No one would know the difference.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Beginner

It's not like a bar in the USA where it's illegal. On the ship it's just a policy, so the whole business is taken much more lightly. I don't think it's ridiculous that you can't drink at 18. I think it's ridiculous that you can do all the other things you mention at 18.
===========================
rosesmith

***edited to remove commercial link***
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rose is right. What is the LEGAL drinking age on the high seas anyways? 21 is an arbitrary number, based on USA standards (which vary widely).