Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Default Daylight Savings Time

I guess I've been "under a rock" , but I didn't realize until I read the paper this morning that DST would be starting March 11, instead of the first week of April.

Just an FYI!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Yes it starts earlier and ends later this year!

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Well, Fern, I am so glad that you decided to come out from under that rock!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Admiral

And remember to check all your clocks, etc. that automatically set DST because they probably won't in March ... then you'll have to check them again in April to be sure they haven't changed them again ... same thing in the fall.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Admiral

True.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Admiral

A few thoughts.....

Why not just make DST the new Standard time? I mean, with the new format, DST is 8 months out of the year. What's the point of Standard time if it's only 4 months? If something is not standard, why call it Standard?

CruzNut, it will be interesting to see if Windows XP will be able to keep up with the new rules. If Windows is such a wonderful product, I should have no worries, right?

Then why am I worried.........

Dean
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Admiral

President Richard Nixon did just that when he was the POTUS. Didn't work out as well as it would have seemed to. Here is the rest of the history of DST.

History of Daylight Saving Time:

First thought of by Benjamin Franklin in his 1784 essay, "An Economical Project".
On March 19, 1918, an Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States was enacted. Daylight Saving Time was set to begin on March 31, 1918 until the end of World War I.
It was repealed in 1919.
President Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time during World War II. He called it War Time and it lasted from 1942 to 1945.
Daylight Saving Time was not a law after 1945 and some locations still used it, which created difficulties for scheduling.
The Uniform Time Act of 1966 was signed by President Lyndon Johnson. It had Daylight Saving Time begin on the last Sunday in April and end on the last Sunday in October. States that wanted to be exempt had to pass a State law to do so.
During the energy crisis in the 1970's, President Nixon signed into law, the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act of 1973. This extended Daylight Saving Time to longer periods in an effort to save energy.
In 1986 it was amended to start Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April and kept it ending on the last Sunday in October.
April 2005 - Starting in April 2006 Indiana will join 47 other states in observing DST.
On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed an energy bill that increased Daylight Saving Time from the second Sunday in March, to the first Sunday in November. (see pros and cons below)