Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default What To Do When Sick

I have been away from the boards for the last couple of days, because I was conducting an experiment on how many germs, and diseases I can actually carry from the schools I work in.

I have slept, read and searched the Internet. In my searches I have found a site that has nothing but reviews of motel/hotels. I have never laughed so much at some of these reviews. Let me give you some examples.

Virginia Beach Motel has telephone cords on the toilet so that you can stand back before you flush, to keep from getting water on you.

Galveston A motel offers discount coupons for bug spray. For the beach you ask? No, for the rooms.

Galveston People complaining that the walkways are hot in the summer. I guess they forgot it was summer, and yes it is hot outside.

Miami Motel gives you a language book so you can communicate with the staff.

Las Vegas Motel was unable to turn off the motel sign, because it was keeping the occupants awake.

Miami Front desk unable to tell occupants where the port was. (see language book)

When I was without my meds, I thought most of these people were stupid. With my meds, I thought they were very entertaining.

Does anyone have any funny motel experiences? Don't worry, I am medicated, so I will think it is funny.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I didn't actually stay here, but it was the Greenwood motel in Ft. Walton Beach....a group of us had rooms there, booked by a friend! I unlocked the door, turned on the light and the roaches ran us over because the stench of vomit and urine had knocked us down!

Yes, she is still my friend, NO, I don't let her make the reservations...we ended up at Holiday Inn (I think). She stayed at the
Greenwood for one night. We got to watch a beach wedding from the balcony (bride wore a thong bikini!). Met up with some people we hadn't seen in a while. Friend ended up at our hotel!
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Its a miracle d/h and I are still married after this one, but this has actually been in the past month. My d/h occasionally gets a little whiney about certain things, especially whe has way too much time on his hands to dwell on these "issues". There is a hotel he has been staying at consistently for the past two years. He's probably stayed at this hotel 30-40 times for five day spans at a time.But truthfully its a nice place. Its close to where he's working. It's clean, it has a fridge and microwave and the price is very good and its in a very nice area.
Well I have listened to my husband complain about this hotel for about the last year and to be honest I was getting a little tired of hearing about it. His major issue with this hotel is that it didn't have wifi in the room. Now keep in mind that all he had to do is to take his laptop out into the lobby and he would be "connected" no biggie! I decided to shop around and find him somewhere else to stay. well I went to Hotwire and put in all the vital info. in case you don't know, Hotwire is now like Priceline and they won't tell you the name of the hotel until after you've bought it. Well I found a 2.5 star hotel that said it had wifi at a fantastic price so I bought it.
I told d/h he should be thrilled that I found him a place with wifi in his room and so he left with a big smile on his face. It takes about 3-4 hours for him to get there, so he called when he arrived and I was expecting him to tell everything is peachy and say goodnight. Well that was not the response I got. He was very alarmed and upset. He says whats the deal with this place? I didn't know what he meant. He informed me that its very, very cold outside and that his hotel room across the street from the strip club had no functioning heat. At some point most likely this past summer the large in-wall unit that heats and cools the room stopped working, so they removed it and left behind a gaping hole. In a small portion of that gaping hole they stuck a small window air conditioner. While I know duct tape is a God send for certain purposes it was never meant to patch a 3 foot by 5 five foot area around a tiny window air conditioner. Plus anyone who wanted to break in to his room wouldn't have had to break in at all. They simply needed to peel back the tape. Then I asked him how they were heating this "hotel room"? He said, well you know those little tiny ceramic heaters that are responsible for a high percentage of deadly house fires? Thats what they're using. He also mentioned that this was the best room they had.
Needless to say this place was a dump and had been for a while, so I called Hotwire and explained the situation to them. The gal said she had to call the hotel to verify the situation and wanted to call me back, I said no thanks, I'll hold! She comes back on the line 10 minutes later and the gentlemen she spoke to said that she needed to speak to the manager and he wouldn't be in for an hour or so and he would neither confirm nor deny the situation. She tells me to have my husband stay in the room from hell and she'll call me back once she can confirm the state of the room. Of course this did not sit well with me, I told her to hold for a moment I called the hotel and while it was ringing I conferenced her to a two way call. After 37 rings the fellow answers the phone. I asked him point blank the state of the room and he finally confirms that things are exactly as I described, then the gal asks him if he can put d/h in another room?? I asked her if the room d/h was on fire, how long she thought it would take for the room they moved him to, to catch on fire...? She had an "ah ha" moment and offerred to move him to another hotel that had a 3 star rating. I told her if this place was what 2.5 stars bought you, I don't think I was too interested in Hotwire's 3 stars. I asked her to just refund us our money, to which she said she'd have to get a supervisor to authorize that....and I don't know if we have our money back yet, but I can tell you that d/h hasn't complained at all about his regular hotel since <eg>

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Note to self ~ never let Beenie make reservations either!

Melody
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

FYI

When I travel, I always stay at Hampton Inn (it doesn't have wifi yet, but you can hook up). I do this because I always know what to expect. My criteria for a woman traveling alone.

interior hallways
comfy bed
plenty of towels
adjustable a/c and heat
vending machines
workout room (that is usually deserted!)
cookies at bedtime
breakfast in the am
bagged breakfast if you're running late

In addition, I ALWAYS get a phone call from the front desk as I enter my room asking if my accomodations are to my liking. FOR YEARS, I would say...they're fine, it would be better if you would get more comfortable beds! Hallelujah! They did! And another thing...Hampton Inns are usually not far from Chili's Restaurants. I eat here because I know the menu, can order a drink while I wait for my meal and can order takeout from memory.

I can't tell you the times I've gone to a restaurant alone and the waitress doesn't want to sit me at a table. They want to put me at the bar. It drives me crazy!

I have to travel on state rates, so this is the best I can do! Holiday Inns vary so much...even the Express ones. You never know if you will get interior hallways or not.

When I spend my money, I like to stay at the W or Wyndham. The first time I stayed at the Wyndham, I checked in with no luggage (don't even ask). They brought me toiletries and a nice cushy robe. They even took my dress out for a quick overnight cleaning and it was ready by breakfast the next day! I did look odd wearing evening clothes at breakfast, but it was New Orleans, so it was okay!
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Admiral

I like Wyndham too. D/h was teaching in a Chicago suburb a couple weeks ago and I put him there. I used to work down the street and had stayed there before so I knew he'd be happy with it....cept no wifi in the room argh! Hehehe he didn't mind at all.
I like Westin too, but I usually don't stay there unless I get a steal on Priceline.
Speaking of New Orleans...I can still taste the yummy warm Chocolate Chip cookies they gave me when I stayed at the Doubletree 15 years ago.

Between the two of us we've stayed in a lot of hotels over the past 10 years, but this Hotwire incident was without a doubt the worst hotel moment for either of us.

Wait a minute... I thought of another one its pretty short and sweet though so I'll go ahead a tell it. I was 22 years old driving alone from Illinois to Arizona. I was moving there, because I was bored and needed an adventure. I had a P.O.S.Renault Le Car that broke down at least 3 times on the way out there. Anyway I am driving somewhere through Oklahoma in my old P.O.S. car when I start doing the head bob blinky action and I cannot keep my eyes open anymore. I was bone tired and needed sleep when I spot a reasonably priced motel. I pull in pay for my room and collapse on a somewhat lumpy bed and try to get some winks. But as tired as I was I could not fall asleep because of a rather large bump in the bed. I stand up and look it over a little closer and realize there's something under the mattress. I lift it up and find a very large bag full of Marijuana. So whats a girl to do? I wanted to flush it down the toilet in case it was a trap...I know thats pretty far fetched. But then I thought what if the people it belongs to come back to get it and find me there eek! So I put what little furniture the room had in front of the door and did my best to sleep with all the bizarre scenarios going through my head that night, then in the morning I went out and packed my car and then went back in for one last flush....
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I like Hampton Inns, too. Love the smell of cookies, and the free breakfast in the morning.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Hampton Inns,only way to go!
Never had a complaint staying there.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Here's a funny hotel story from our pre-New Years cruise in Miami. We were reminded of it this weekend in San Antonio when hubby was served a lukewarm cup of coffee....
In the hotel dining room for breakfast, hubby ordered a coffee, which arrived lukewarm at best. Not knowing it was lukewarm just yet, he put some milk into it and had a sip. Cold! So he called the waitress over to complain that his coffee was cold, and asked for a HOT cup of coffee. She took a step back, eyed his cup and said, "well of course it's cold - you put cold milk in it!"
He had to argue with her that it shouldn't be COLD after a little bit of milk, and she argued back! She was just too lazy to go back to the kitchen for more coffee!
So now, every time he puts milk or cream in his coffee, he repeats her excuse - of course it's cold, you put COLD milk in it!

donna