Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Latest change to the Passport Requirement

I just heard that they have amended (again) those that will be required to have passports for re-entering the USA by air and sea, beginning possibly in January 2008.

Children 15 and younger, accompanied by a parent, will not be required to have a passport. A certified birth certificate will be accepted. For everyone 16 and older, a passport will be required. Don't put it off if you don't have one!

Let the confusion continue!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

ready,
They just can't seem to make up their minds!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Admiral

And then they wonder why there is confusion regarding the requirement! Glad I got mine a couple of years ago!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hope I can cruise 100 times before mine is up in 2010 Ya right!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Admiral

ready2gonow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Children 15 and younger, accompanied by a parent, will not be required to have a passport. A certified birth certificate will be accepted. For everyone 16 and older, a passport will be required. Don't put it off if you don't have one!
There's also a plan to have some sort of "passcard" (federal identification card) that will be equivalent to a passport for travel within North America and the Caribbean.

That said, exempting children under sixteen from the requirement is going to cause some very interesting situations when emergencies arise while families are cruising. The parents, who will have passports or passcards, will be able to fly home from the next port of call, but they will have to take the children to an embassy or consulate to get temporary passports so the children can fly home....

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was in the TA's office the other day, and the lady at the next desk asked if she needed a passport. She was going to Orlando.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Admiral

That's why I got mine two years ago.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

What a pain in the be-hind............

Dean
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

I fear it isn't that they can't make up their minds, it's that they're being continually whipsawed by special interests, via friendly legislators, to postpone the requirements for as long as possible, or better yet, never institute them for real.

And who are these special interests? Why, the travel industry of course, led by our favorite cruise lines.

See, the cruise lines read all the bellyaching on these boards about doing something as simple as getting a passport, and they quake in their boots that they might lose a customer or two. So they moan and groan to the government about how passport requirements will hurt business. Oh, yeah, and they probably make a campaign contribution here and there.

It is a little ironic, isn't it, that today in Phoenix they're trotting out an airport scanning machine that will, ahem, display your "personal properties" to the TSA in the name of security, but we keep getting delays and runarounds regarding the simplest, most basic national security device of all: the passport.

Those of you who remember our late good friend Pamda may also remember one of her more famous aphorisms. . ."If you can't afford a passport, you can't afford to cruise." Amen, Pam.

I got mine in 1967 and have renewe.d it gladly a number of times (back then I think they were only good for three years, maybe five, I can't remember). Have I gotten my money's worth? You bet. Just thumbing through all the old ones from time to time and reading all the visa stamps is a lot of fun.