Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Admiral

Default Information Source : Online or Subscription

Every year in December I renew my magazine subscriptions (usually take advantage of the holiday deals where you get the 2nd one year subscription for free or 1/2 price and give them as Christmas presents) and after watching me write out 21 checks, both my son and my GF suggested to me that most people go online to read their magazines and newspapers (of course after all these years my son still enjoys his sports illustrated subcription which includes the annual swim suit edition). My GF suggest that my magazines take up too much space in my den and my bathroom (I have built a magazine rack in my bathroom)

So to manage the rising cost, this year I did not renew any 2nd subsciptions and was actually shocked when several of my friends contacted me to find out why they did not get their magazines in the month of February. I told them it was part of my "post Katrina" living adjustments and I asked them do they go online to read magazines and newspapers. My older friends did not, my younger friends do

I'm curious, do my fellow cruisemates read their magazines online or do you still have them delivered to your home? To me, I still get excited about coming home from work and looking in my mail box and having a magazine stuff in it. It's alot more fun to take a magazine to my "reading room" then my laptop (VBG)
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Admiral

After 20 years of subscribing to Money magazine, I realized that I can get enough of the content online so I ended the subscription. We were getting so many magazines (many from using airline miles) that we weren't able to keep up with them. Before moving overseas, we threw away many years of Conde Nast, National Geographic Traveler, Cruise Travel, Money, and others. We have cut down to only four magazines now. I am amazed at how long you still get issues after you have refused to renew. I think online is the way to go; keeps those little renewal inserts from falling on the floor.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I cannot recall the last magazine I subscribed to. I just don't remember it As a matter of fact, with the exception of the Harry Potter Books, I can't remember the last time I had time to sit down uninterupted and read much of anything aside from the directions of the back of a bottle of children's tylenol. It seems that ever since my little ones showed up on the scene almost 7 years ago. It would be a waste of paper and money for me since my time in the "reading room" or any room for that matter is always rushed and hurried by two very short people.
D/H on the other hand is one who uses the "reading room" as a hideout (kind of like a bear in his cave) and in there you will find a plethora of technical mags (he's a microsoft guru) cruise catalogs, and assorted reading materials,none of which interest me in the least.
When I find myselfwith time alone, chances are I am working so once the kids get older and when I'm no longer cool to hang out with, I will become re-aquainted with my love of reading but for now, no cigar.
But to answer your question, just about any news or other info I need, i get online. The kids generally assume that if they see me at my computer, then I must be working.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Marc, have you been talking to my GF ? She would agree with you 150% about those little renewal cards falling out of the magazines and on to the floor.(VBG)

If I had to cut back from 21 subscriptions to 4, it would be tough but I would chose...Playboy (great articles not published online), Jet Magazine, Jazz Time and Consumer Reports

Funny, I read all my daily newspapers online except on Sunday, I still buy the Sunday paper because it's a critical part of my Sunday morning routine (walk-church-breakfast at the waffle house-sitting on my swing on the back porch with gospel playing, reading the papers and cutting out the coupons). I think it's my most favorite connection with my Dad who taught me how to read by reading me the Sunday comics when I was little

bennie weenie...your husband sounds like my type of reading wing man..it's the only "safe" place us men to be these days (VBG)
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Is the "reading room" the new Man Cave........?

Dean
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Well, I'm a magazine freak. I get alot lets see: Cooking Light, Everyday Food, Vogue, Redbook, Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Ladies Home Journal, Womens Day, Family Circle, Readers Digest, Todays Christian Woman, Glamour, Marie Claire, Fitness, Todays Christian Reader, Spirit Led Woman, Creating Keepsakes, Harper's Bazaar. My friend passes on her Womans First magazine once she has read it, plus lots of times I pick up InStyle at the drug store and Rachael Rays magazine.

I guess I have serious problem. I also check some of the sites on-line - but I love to look at these magazines. I cut a lot of stuff out - and pass on to people who I think would appreciate it.

In the winter I curl up under a blanket with a cup of tea and read them, in the summer I sit in my floating lounge chair in the pool.

Perhaps I need to downsize.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice, I have been a magazine junkie forever. When I was young, we had a little, magazine/smoke shop, called Sunnys. One of my best memories is going there, persuing the shelves, and walking out with a stack...I spent around $5-6.00, so much money back then, but,I had an armful and a smile!

I was a charter member of Publishers Clearing House, which tells you alot. [I should be winning that contest one day soon] My list has been narrowed over the years, my favorite being Vanity Fair. Over the years, I have had many letters in the mail column.

But online..ah.....not so much..I need to turn that page, to shlep it with me, to read at work, things like that, that will always me me a junkie

Edited for this comment..upon finishing this post, I got an email..People.com wants me to read about the Oscars...lol!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator