Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default The oscar's

Did you watch the academy awards last night?
Did your favorite actor, director, picture win?
What was your favorite moment?
Do you agree with the decesions?
Lets talk about it.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Admiral

I watched them, although I don't know why - I haven't seen any of the movies except The Queen. I didn't have a favourite to win, but I am glad Jennifer Hudson won just to prove Simon Cowell wrong!

donna
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

I didn't watch this year, for the first time. I watched a lot of the Red Carpet, and decided to watch my usual Sunday night line up - the Grease Show and I dvr'd Amazing Race and watched that after.

Most of the gowns were beautiful
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Admiral

I used to love the oscars. But no anymore they are now predictable and try to forward the star's political agenda. For best song of course they nominated Dreamgirls 3 times so that the nominations cancelled each other out and they could give it to the song from "Inconvenient Truth." Why because that movie matches their political views.

The same reason that movie won best documentary even through it looks like a boring high school science movie. It is also the reason "Happy Feet" won over "Cars." Happy Feet has an environmental message in the film.

I miss when the Oscars were about what film was the best. regardless of if I agree or disagree with the star's political agenda I feel the Oscars are not right venue. I want to see great films that most people saw and enjoyed win.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Default The Oscars

I didn't see any of the nominated movies. I watch strictly to see the gowns and jewelry. I, too, dislike the politicizing of the Oscars.

Judy
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Admiral

I have always been a fan of Forrest Whitaker (ever since I first saw him in the Crying Game) and saw 'Last King of Scotland" and read the book and I'm glad he won. What I was most proud of was his acceptance speech since he had been taking alot of flak for not being articulate in his acceptance speechs when he has won other awards this year. I also love Alan Arkin ever since I saw him in "A Heart Is A Lonely Hunter" and think he is a great actor.

I actually enjoy Ellen D as the host. Of course my all time favorite host is Billy Crystal.

I put the show on picture in picture on my flat screen so I could watch something else but not miss anything major

Overall, show is much too long and too many awards that did not interest me
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

I watched ALL of the Academy Awards program and Trevor watched 3/4 of it-missed the beginning. He thought it would end in 3 hours and was ready for bed by then.
We did see Flags of Our Fathers and The Departed-well, Trevor saw Flags--we are in a rental program so saw them on DVD. I'm glad that Martin Scorsese won as did his movie, even though it was pretty violent and foul mouthed. I remember Forrest Whittaker first from "Good Morning, Vietnam". I've liked him since.

My son studies film and is an aspiring screenwriter and director-wanting to be another Steven Spielberg. I watch these shows because I know he does and we have some good conversations. He has seen most of the movies in the theater and rents the "old classics". I remarked to Trevor at the time that Jamie would be enjoying the spot where Ellen had her picture taken with Clint Eastwood by Steven Spielberg. It was also an amusing moment when she offered Martin S a screenplay.He also would enjoy all the film clips shown and screenwriters' notes.

I enjoy the entire atmosphere of the programs and it's nice to see the newer and "older" presenters. However, last night's presentation seemed encumbered by technical awards, and I, too, would have preferred some more "Hollywood Class". The movies need to get back to basics, like the Spencer/Hepburn, Bogart/Bacall era--good, down to earth stories, with a little fun, maybe some Hitchcock thrown in for good measure--without all the cussing and fighting and killing as is evident today.

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Passenger

I watched most of the Oscars. The only nominated movie I saw was "Devil Wears Prada", and I really liked it. I'm glad Martin Scorcese won. It's about time.
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Trevor
I watched ALL of the Academy Awards program and Trevor watched 3/4 of it-missed the beginning. He thought it would end in 3 hours and was ready for bed by then.
We did see Flags of Our Fathers and The Departed-well, Trevor saw Flags--we are in a rental program so saw them on DVD. I'm glad that Martin Scorsese won as did his movie, even though it was pretty violent and foul mouthed. I remember Forrest Whittaker first from "Good Morning, Vietnam". I've liked him since.

My son studies film and is an aspiring screenwriter and director-wanting to be another Steven Spielberg. I watch these shows because I know he does and we have some good conversations. He has seen most of the movies in the theater and rents the "old classics". I remarked to Trevor at the time that Jamie would be enjoying the spot where Ellen had her picture taken with Clint Eastwood by Steven Spielberg. It was also an amusing moment when she offered Martin S a screenplay.He also would enjoy all the film clips shown and screenwriters' notes.

I enjoy the entire atmosphere of the programs and it's nice to see the newer and "older" presenters. However, last night's presentation seemed encumbered by technical awards, and I, too, would have preferred some more "Hollywood Class". The movies need to get back to basics, like the Spencer/Hepburn, Bogart/Bacall era--good, down to earth stories, with a little fun, maybe some Hitchcock thrown in for good measure--without all the cussing and fighting and killing as is evident today.

Lynne
I agree with you about the films getting to violent today. I also have always liked Forset Whittaker but I have to go back a little farther the first film I saw him in was Fast Times and Ridgemont High. He played a football player.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Admiral

No, I didn't watch it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Admiral

Didn't watch the Oscars either. I just read the winner's list the next day -- it's much faster that way!

I'm not big on blood, gore, and violence either -- but if people weren't buying tickets to these movies, the studios wouldn't keep making them.

RollerDonna,

So the Canadian stations carry the Academy Awards show? I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Do you guys get a lot of U.S. programming? Just curious.....

Dean
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I liked the Al Gore win, because like Katlady said, it matches my personal views. And, whatever else you want to say about the Oscars, at least Gore finally got to a place where if you get the most votes, you win.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Beginner

I always watch the oscars ! Every year since 1961 when my mother was so upset that West Side Story was winning everything. I probably saw the fewest nominated films ever. ( usualy make a big point of trying to see them all). Alan Arkin was the big upset, which I thought was great - was hoping Little Miss Sunshine would win too. Ellen was good not like Billy Crystal though. I just could not get used to a bald Jack Nicholson! Next year I hope to be crusing durring the oscars.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Cruising during the oscars . . . . sounds good to me. Jack Nicholson reminded me of Marlon Brando with his new look. I hear it's for a part in a movie where he plays a cancer patient receiving chemo and radiation.
Adventure of the Seas - 8/06
Navigator of the Seas - 8/05
Celebrity Century - 8/04
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
I liked the Al Gore win, because like Katlady said, it matches my personal views. And, whatever else you want to say about the Oscars, at least Gore finally got to a place where if you get the most votes, you win.
But AR did you feel that was the best made documentary film? Because if you didn't feel that way about the film then he shouldn't have won. The Oscars are about the best film not a poltical agenda or a popularity contest. I'm sorry I could say that last part without laughing, Who am I kidding of course it's popularity contest never mind that last part.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Passenger

I was glad to see The Departed win but I have to change the channel when the left wing Hollywood agenda's come out......

2/23/2006 - Carnival Inspiration
4/24/2004 - Carnival Triumph
3/15/2003 - Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas
2/25/2002 - Carnival Fascination
2/24/2001 - Carnival Imagination
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Admiral

katlady--

I can't tell you how much your comment makes me laugh. That's because I used to write and direct documentary and other short films, and for years was on the Board of CINE, now in its 50th year as probably the most well-known US festival exclusively for documentaries and other short films. In fact I was national president of CINE for two years. As such, I have been invited to judge short film festivals all over the world (never the Oscars), but let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've served on a seven-person jury at a film festival behind the Iron Curtain in the bad old Communist days, with the jury invariably made up of four people from behind the Curtain and three people from the rest of the world. That's special. Did the best films win? Sure, as long as they were made in East Germany or Poland.

But I always had fun at international festivals, which took me everywhere from Bulgaria to Paris to Rome to Rotterdam to Tokyo to the Czech Republic and beyond. Most were completely on the up-and-up, but occasionally somebody would put a thumb on the scale. Actually, after getting back from California on Thursday, I spent most of Friday judging films for CINE, which I am proud to say has always been scrupulously fair (within the confines of the human condition, of course).

The biggest problem with the short and documentary Oscar categories until lately was that voters weren't required to see the films. Cripes! That's a serious issue. Now they are required to see them, and while politics is always lurking somewhere around the edges, it's usually nowhere near as bad with the short stuff as it is with the features.

This year it was probably a little more intense because of the Gore business. Was that really the best one? Arguably so. I didn't see them all so I can't say for sure.

But I loved your note.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
katlady--

I can't tell you how much your comment makes me laugh. That's because I used to write and direct documentary and other short films, and for years was on the Board of CINE, now in its 50th year as probably the most well-known US festival exclusively for documentaries and other short films. In fact I was national president of CINE for two years. As such, I have been invited to judge short film festivals all over the world (never the Oscars), but let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've served on a seven-person jury at a film festival behind the Iron Curtain in the bad old Communist days, with the jury invariably made up of four people from behind the Curtain and three people from the rest of the world. That's special. Did the best films win? Sure, as long as they were made in East Germany or Poland.

But I always had fun at international festivals, which took me everywhere from Bulgaria to Paris to Rome to Rotterdam to Tokyo to the Czech Republic and beyond. Most were completely on the up-and-up, but occasionally somebody would put a thumb on the scale. Actually, after getting back from California on Thursday, I spent most of Friday judging films for CINE, which I am proud to say has always been scrupulously fair (within the confines of the human condition, of course).

The biggest problem with the short and documentary Oscar categories until lately was that voters weren't required to see the films. Cripes! That's a serious issue. Now they are required to see them, and while politics is always lurking somewhere around the edges, it's usually nowhere near as bad with the short stuff as it is with the features.

This year it was probably a little more intense because of the Gore business. Was that really the best one? Arguably so. I didn't see them all so I can't say for sure.

But I loved your note.
How cool that you judged documentary films and short films. What was some of your favorite films nothing to violent through. I love films not at the level of having judged them like you. That really must have been amazing.

I love films the way a normal person does plus about 10. That's because if I see a good actor I will seek out all that person's films. I like films across board range catorgories. Little iindie films to big block buster films. As longer as took care and love in the making of the film and the actors also felt the care the film will be great.

I love comedies were it looked like the actors just had a ball on the set. That's why "Gumpy Old Men" is such a funny film to me. But to me I think Charile Chaplin was able to do something amazing with comedy. He give it a heart and awareness. The movies "The Kid" and "Citylights" are funny, sad and sweet at all the same time. Those films could be remaked today and still be good films, if done right. In the same breath I will say how much I loved "Borat" the character in that film on paper is unlikeable how amaze that on film he is sweet and we care about him. That film is crude and disgusting, but also funny and sweet. It's amazing to me he pulled that off. Funny it didn't get nomainated for an Oscar That's why I like the Golden Globes better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Katlady--

Yeah, Chaplin was great. I especially like some of his later stuff when he got away from the tramp character. I especially like The Great Dictator and Monsieur Verdoux.

My great good fortune is to have seen over 30 years plus some of the finest short films ever made, films which for various reasons very few people ever get to see--or even hear about. There's a classic by the late Saul Bass called Why Man Creates, which is an amazing half hour. Charles and Rae Eames made a little film called Toccata for Toy Trains, which every person who is young or young at heart should see. A guy at the Canadian Film Board years ago named Wolf Koenig made a very funny film about silly signs that you see everywhere. It's called Jail Keys Made Here (yes, that's one of the signs). Charlie Guggenheim's amazing documentary about the building of the St. Louis arch is called Monument to the Dream, and every school kid should see it. I'm very fond of both the French and American films produced from the Civil War short story by Ambrose Bierce called An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Terrific storytelling and terrific filmmaking. Then there's the seminal documentary about the Holocaust made in the early 60's by the fine French filmmaker Alain Resnais, Nuit et Bruillard (Night and Fog). Cartoons are short films too, and I'm especially fond of One Froggy Night, starring Michigan J. Frog. Plus, of course, anything with Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. And speaking of seminal documentaries, how many people have seen John Flaherty's Nanook of the North or Pare Lorentz's The River and The Plow that Broke the Plains. Not nearly enough, I can assure you.

That just scratches the surface. I've seen literally thousands of short films that I like, some that I love. As I said, I'm fortunate.

On the feature side, I'm a big fan of Hitchcock, because his work is such a good teacher to anyone who wants to learn about filmmaking, and because it's so much fun to watch. I also like musicals, especially MGM. There's really not too much I don't like if it's done well. My first job was as a theatre projectionist at age 14, and I've never stopped looking.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Hi A/R
You said musical I automatically think Danny Kaye in "Wonder Man" my all time favorite. His wife Syliva Fine would write the songs and he would sing them perfectly. What a great team they made. I will check out some of your suggestions on short films the only short film I remember seeing was "frankenweenie" by Tim Burton it was weird and cute at the same time.

During a college speech class, I used Charile Chaplin's final speech in "The Great Dictator" for one of my speechs. Hitchcock is really good the way he could create suspense without showing anything to graphic. He never goes for the obvious. Charile Chaplin is the same way. I heard a story that a bunch of comedians were discussing how to use the "slipping on a banana peel gag." Chaplin's input was that the actor would see the banana peel and with eyes on it take a step to the side to avoid the peel, falling right into open manhole. Stepping on the banana peel was to obvious he wanted to do something unexpected. Hitchcock is that same way. The best ones always take you by surprise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994