Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Default Boxing Day in Canada... The Horrible Sequel

About two months ago, the Boxing Day phenomenon was discussed at length here, and laid to rest, so it seemed....

I commented, somewhat facetiously, that it would soon become "Boxing Year" the way retail greed was progressing...

Well, it seems I am a prophet: a Nationwide Chain of furniture stores here, who blast us with boxing day ads annually, had decided to "hold over" their Boxing Week sale this week. Ummm Guys.... it's March.... no more "Holly Jolly"..... Tax Time now. Credit Card bills are in. Sheesh.

It's getting to be like car dealers..... Big Sale All The Time!!!!!! Hurry!!! Hurry!!!! But the Prices never seem to change.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Is that anything like the stores that are constantly "Going Out of Business" for years!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I know what you mean Cynic. I was in Wal Mart a week after Valentine's Day and all the Easter stuff was out. It's not even St. Patrick's Day yet for crying out loud!

donna
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Boxing Day I remember that discussion! I am now educated on Boxing Day thanks to you! Well we are still having Hurricane Katrina specials here and I think it's been 18 months since that storm!

Rescue seems like some people have money left on their FEMA and Red Cross cards!

Melody
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Admiral

Cynic,

It's getting worse every year.......

At our local store, the Easter merchandise went up the day after Saint Valentine's day.

As for Christmas, the last several years I've been referring to it as the Retailing Season. This last year, the merchandise began going up just after Labor Day weekend. If the retailers had it their way, the Retailing Season would go all year 'round.

In the U.S. the Retailing Season accounts for 40% of retailer's yearly income. So naturally, the retailers want to stretch the season out as far as possible. And of course, they can't do that without our help. Instead of discouraging this behaviour, we the consumers are actually encouraging it.

I met a lady last summer and we had this very discussion. And she was wishing the retailers would get their merchandise out in August! She made seasonal trinkets, and needed to get her supplies earlier.

And this is exactly what has gone wrong with with Christmas.......

Dean