Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki : How Much $$$ For Full Charter FOS for 7 Days

A suggestion for a future feature story. Much discussion on these boards the past week about full charters and bumping booked guest

How much does it really cost to charter a cruise ship for a week? I picked the Freedom of the Seas because Tom Joyner syndicated radio DJ does it every year and raises over 1M for his foundation AFTER operating cost and he has a very high expense for his entertainment

So if CM was going to charter a ship, and Royal Caribbean sent you a bill what would be the breakdown? What happens to the ships regular entertainers for that week? What are the fixed based cost that the cruise line charges and then we know the promoters have to add their variable cost to come up with a rack rate per cabin type.

The basic assumption on a "normal" cruise is that cabin cost are fixed to cover operating cost plus a small profit margin
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Admiral

I tried to get this information out of the future cruise consultant while onboard Freedom......no such luck. She said she didn't have that kind of information. I agree that it would be a great story.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually I have to say it would be tough to make an article out of that information.

The Question would be How Much? The answer would be XYZ.

Then what would I say

But... I did try and send of a few e-mails today to see if I get could get a ball park price info from 3 different cruise lines.

I e-mailed 3 people in their PR depts to see if they could track down the info for me, and I got 3 Out of Office replies. Hopefully someone will get back to me next week when they're at work again.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

look beyond the obvious ($$$$) and how much of a mark up for a charter vs rack rate for a normal cruise...would like to know what happens to the ship's normal entertainment staff (do they get vacation etc), what about the kid's staff if it is a 21 or older charter ? how does the cruise line figure how much to compensate bumped passengers ? On the charter smooth jazz cruises, the crew onboard that plays jazz gets to do jam sessions with the jazz stars, on the Hogs on the High Seas, the waiters dress up in formal biker leather outfits for formal nights etc Are there any other types of activities on a full charter that on a normal cruise the staff would not normally do in their daily routines

What types of groups would the cruise lines turn down business for a full charter?..do the cruise lines have any type of follow up marketing effort to try to encourage the charter guest to cruise on a regular line

My sense is that full charters are a growing niche business for the cruise lines..NCL seems to be branding with G&L's , Holland American for Jazz, etc..
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Admiral

Venice,

I like your idea of chartering a ship. Wouldn't it be great to be on a ship filled with just we CruiseMates?!

But I think FOS is too ambitious. I don't know that we could get 3000 of us to sign up. We should look into a smaller ship; either Vision-class or smaller.

If Kuki receives the rates he requested, it will be interesting to see what the cruise fares would be.

Dean
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
My sense is that full charters are a growing niche business for the cruise lines..NCL seems to be branding with G&L's , Holland American for Jazz, etc..
There may be a growing awarenes of full ship charters, but they have been around for some time. And the ones you've mentioned are really a niche within a niche.

Corporate charters as either seminars or reward programs for companies have been around forever. There's G/L companies who've been around for some time and built their business to the point they could do full ship charters.

Initially, I thought you were just asking about price. The problem with doing an informative article about this type of thing is there are LOTS of variables. For example, your experience is with full charters who brought their own entertainment onboard. The majority of the full charters would actually run the same "normal" entertainment that the ship always uses.

We did take a brief look at doing a full ship charter a couple of years back on a smaller ship. One benefit that people may not know about is the ability to choose your own itinerary.

The downside of a full ship charter is off course having to guarantee the cost of the cruise, and then assuming it will sell out. No doubt that item has much to do with how the organizers price their cruises; trying to make certain they cover their costs even if the ship doesn't sell out.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The downside of a full ship charter is off course having to guarantee the cost of the cruise, and then assuming it will sell out. No doubt that item has much to do with how the organizers price their cruises; trying to make certain they cover their costs even if the ship doesn't sell out.
Kuki, you could cover that for us, couldn't you?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Kuki..thanks for your thoughtful response