Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default If I Were In Charge of Fundraising for PBS

It's pledge time again for PBS and I was watching the British Invasion program featuring acts from the 60's. The highest rated PBS shows are the ones featuring pop music acts from the 50's-60's-70's

I don't understand why PBS does not sponsor some full charter cruises featuring these acts as a fundraiser for them? I bet the ships would be full and they could raise millions and maybe pro-rate the proceeds to each state's PBS stations based upon the bookings from each state and it would be a great way to support PBS

Or have they and I just did not notice them ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I don't know whether they've done cruises, but for sure PBS is now known in some cynical circles as the "doo-wop network."

The thing that thoroughly frosts me is that they ONLY run these shows during their begathons, because they know they can capture a reasonable audience with "old" music shows and snake-oil "self help" lectures by people like that wack job "Suzie" somebody. But once the pledge period ends, it's back to the mating habits of the grasshopper and British soap operas. (Have you noticed that soap operas with a British accent are considered "art?") Oh yes, and Lawrence Welk reruns. I've often thought it would be fun to analyze what percentage of the typical PBS station's programming lineup is hosted by dead people (Lawrence, Julia, Fred Rogers, etc.) Is it any wonder that PBS' audience skews heavily to the 60+ crowd? And in the world of cable "narrowcasting" networks, is PBS a concept whose time has definitely passed? Their overall ratings would certainly suggest that.

I love to listen to 60's music, and 50's, and sometimes 30's and 40's. But the PBS habit of using these music programs to lure people to pledge weeks is opportunistic and speaks to their desperation. I now direct my public broadcasting pledges to my local public radio station.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I always write a check to my local PBS outlet and participate in the local on air fundraising by answering telephones for pledges (the local station was flooded out during Katrina). I enjoy watching the evening news nightly and the business report and enjoy any programming concerning African American topics..

I'll tell you what scares me; when I look at the 50's-60's-70's music shows I always remark on how old the artist are and how bad they look (compare to the snippets from when they were young) but my son likes to remind me that I am of the same generation..but I like to remind him that I look much better then the musicians, because they did sex,drugs and rock and roll 60's and I did sex and rock and roll (VBG)
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Heck, I never did "===" and I look bad anyway.
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do enjoy much of the PBS programming such as NOVA, Front line, Antiques Roadshow, Jim Lehrer, BBC World News and their children's programming. They also have a large number of community based programs that give a different prospective than local news. The bad part is that most of it can be supplemented by those of us lucky enough to have cable or satellite.

I do contribute each year because, while I believe that many of the programs are geared on the liberal side, I also believe that this balance needs to be maintained even if I don't always agree with it. It also is available for people who don't have cable or satellite.

I also believe that much of the programming that is shown during pledge periods is geared toward the demographic (Baby boomers and older) that will not only call in and pledge but will actually give the money once they do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I support PBS and enjoy most of the programing.No complaints here!
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Admiral

I also support our local PBS station, but NOT when they're "begging" for money! I send my check early in January.

My favorite shows are the Britcoms and they take them off for a month to "beg".

One year they tried something new. "Begging" between shows. I thought it was great, but apparently they didn't get as much $$, so we're back to Suze and Lawrence .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Alright, I have to say my peace about PBS.

As far as the begging goes -- yes it can be annoying, and yes, PBS seems to play its best musical entertainment during fundraising. But wouldn't you rather have a broadcaster funded by "The people" rather than some huge media corporation.

And I gotta tell ya -- I love watching a program with NO commercials!

I love several of the shows on PBS. Namely, This Old House, Ask This Old House, Hometime, Frontline, New Yankee Workshop, NOVA, and a few others.

I actually watch more hours of PBS than from the networks. I don't watch much TV, but want to make each hour of it count.

Dean
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Admiral

I love the BritComs and the musical shows, but come on, it's time to get some new ones. They've been recycled way too many times!

donna
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Mike M> Nova and Frontline???? Do you actually believe that leftist propaganda that passes in the rest of the world for "reality"????

You need to watch more Nancy Grace.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Admiral

PBS says it has no commercials, but the begging sessions they have during the only programs I wish to see are much worse than commercials.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Admiral

which goes back to my original posting...if PBS sponsored 3-4 full charter theme cruises on the FOS per year, they could make enough profit that they could cut down on their pledge (i.e. begging) breaks

one cruise could feature 60's Motown Stars
one cruise could feature 60" British Invasion
one cruise could feature 70" Disco stars
one cruise could feature Broadway Musical Stars