Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Default Visitor In Your Own Home Port City ?

For those of you that live in a "home port city" when out of town cruise folks come and ask you where to go to see your city in a very short period of time, have you actually visited the sites yourself ?

I live in what I think is the greatest city on earth New Orleans, yet by my own admission, the only time I go to the French Quarter is when I have guest (most locals are the same way), I've only been to all the major Mardi Gras events once (which is enough), only go to a Saints game when someone gives me a ticket..however, I have never missed a Jazz Festival, Essence Festival or Bayou Classic since I moved here 9 years ago. I drive by the lower 9th ward everyday and see the lack of progress regarding Hurricane Katrina, but a Hurricane Katrina Grey Line Tour is a must see for all out of town guest so they can see first hand the massive destruction and understand what happen and why

I grew up in upstate New York and lived a couple years in New York City, but I never visited the Statue of Liberty.

Are you a tourist in your own home city ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Hey Venice,

I am proud to call New Orleans home! We moved to Baton Rouge 15 years ago, but my heart is still in New Orleans. Yes, I am a tourist in my hometown (s) both of them! I am lucky enough to work in cities throughout Louisiana, so I always make it a point to check out the interesting things I see in every city!

When LSU played in the Sugar Bowl in 2003, we bought packages for a four night stay. We did the usual tourist things. However, I have not been to the Aquarium (I know, shame on me!). I love to schedule work in New Orleans and then steal a few hours away for a trip downtown. I love to go on the River!

I've seen and FELT the hurricane devastation dealt to Louisiana all along the coast. I was sent to handle disaster food assistance days after landfall of each storm. But, New Orleans is a special place for me.

Baton Rouge has it's own great places! I love football and what better place than DEATH VALLEY! My office is one block from the capitol, so I get to see all of the great places here!

I think I must be related to Louis & Clark!

Melody
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Yes and no. I am 30 miles or so from Galveston and go there often, just for the day. I have been to Moody Gardens, riden the ferry to Pt. Bolivar, toured the Bishop's Palace, strolled the Strand Distict. However, I haven't been to Johnson Space Center in many years. It has been years since I have visited Houston's museum district (home of several outstnding museums), Houston Zoo. All things that are worth enjoying.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default Visitor in Your Own Home Port City?

I live about an hour from the Los Angeles/San Pedro Harbor area.

I haven't done all the tourist things in Los Angeles, but I did do Disneyland. Once is definitely enough! I have never been to a Rose Bowl game or the Rose Parade, although I watch it on t.v. I have been to the Sports arena once for a competitive figure skating event and to Staples Center for the same reason. I have never seen the Lakers play. I love to window shop on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and go to some good restaurants in Santa Monica. I used to live in Hollywood, so I've seen Hollywood and Vine many times, and yes, I've been to Grauman's Chinese Theater. I still haven't bdeen to the Getty Center, but I used to have a memership at the Los Angeles County Art Museum.

A nice Sunday drive to me is to cross the Vincent Thomas Bridge to San Pedro to see any cruise ships that are in and to view the marine industry that goes on every day.

I guess we all take life at home for granted.

Judy
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Admiral

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
For those of you that live in a "home port city" when out of town cruise folks come and ask you where to go to see your city in a very short period of time, have you actually visited the sites yourself ?
I'm horribly confused by your reference to ships calling in their "home port city" because the truth is that most ships never go to their home port. Perhaps the confusion here is one of definition of terms -- a ship's "home port" is her port of registry, and it's usually painted on the stern directly below the name of the ship. I don't know where all of the major cruise lines register their vessels, but I do know that the home port for most ships of Princess Cruises is Hamilton, Bermuda, and the home port for most ships of both Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International is Nassau, Bahamas -- ports where the majority of these ships have never called.

That said, I'm generally quite willing to meet CruiseMates who are coming to Boston, either on a port of call or for a precruise or postcruise stay, and show you around some of the attractions in the area whenever I'm in town. I can tailor plans to your interests, and I'm happy to "do lunch" at a place where we locals go for the freshest seafood in town. Please contact me by private message at least a few weeks in advance if you are interested.

Norm.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I think it is common when you live somplace not to have necessarily visited the touristy stuff in your area. Why? the best answer seems to be that since you live there you can do it tommorrow. Tommorrow never seems to come. I live near the beach but only seem to go when guests come. Same with disneyworld. I lived in NY for 23 years and never went to the statue! but did party with bums in the bowery once!
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Yes, I am a tourist in my own port city of Montreal. First of all, ships can't get into the port for most of the year, since the river is frozen! But they do come in the summer, and we welcomed a couple of CruiseMates last Sept. It was hard to know what to do with them, because, well, we are suburbanites, and hardly EVER go downtown! We did know of a great restaurant (strangely enough, introduced to us by other tourists!) so that's where we took them, and we all enjoyed it. Personally, I hate downtown Montreal, but I do like wandering the Old Port area.

donna
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Geez I live in rural midwest America. We don't have tourists, lol! We are Tourists.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Rescue,

Quit your LYIN'! :evil:

You CAN'T go to the beach! You were banned for indecent exposure when you wore that speedo!

You CAN'T go to Disney World! They don't let mean people like you visit the happiest place on earth!

You CAN'T visit the Statue of Liberty! You were banned for photographing and touching her Grand Tetons! You perv!

Don't listen to Rescue, he never tells the truth!

Melody