Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Even though the no camera thing is a major letdown, I will probably go next time I go to Vegas just to see if I can walk on the thing - serious "FEAR OF FALLING" phobia - but I like to challenge myself and see if I can do certain things - last time I went to the Grand Canyon (South Rim), I could not walk near the edge for photos so I had to sit; my legs were shaking soo bad. LMAO
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When they showed this on tv..They showed a Father, with 2 boys, laying on their stomachs, just inchs from the edge, looking down! I would rather shoot myself in the foot!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Not allowing pictures defeats the whole purpose of walking out over the canyon, and I have a lot of other ways that I could spend the $25.

Trip, please don't shoot yourself in the foot. It would mess up a pair of your shoes.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Has a rationale been given for the no-camera policy?

How is the Canyon harmed by a photograph?

Dean
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I also have a FEAR of heights...note capitols in the word fear!! So when I read 'msblackjack's quote, "To maximize visitiors' experience...
'no more than 120 people at a time on the 'glass' skywalk', you wouldn't have to tell me that twice. I think two at a time is plenty thank-you...

As for feeling movement on the Skywalk...and I mean any movement...that would send me running and screaming like a banshee...

Guess I'm no Braveheart!
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Admiral

I believe that the no camera and no loose item policy is two-fold; to protect the glass from scratches and so people don't drop stuff into the canyon.

EDIT: this article was just sent to me from a friend out in Arizona:

http://www.inbusinesslasvegas.com/20.../feature3.html

so the cameras are not allowed for two reasons: fear of chipping the glass and so the Indians can't charge your for your sovenier photos.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

We are talking the BUZZ here, being able to get your gut in gear to "do the walk" and over glass with nothing below. Believe me for a lot of people, thats the achievement, not taking a photo.

Their hands will be so tight on the rail, they will forget they had a camera.

Take it for what it is
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Admiral

Martha,

Here's a story for ya.

Several years ago, I was in Chicago on business, but did a few of the touristy things. Had dinner at Ditka's restaurant, saw the Museum of Natural History, walked the Miracle Mile, and so on.

One day, I went to see the Sears Tower. The express elevators are the only ones that go all the way from bottom to top, and vice versa. I was able to go from the lobby all the way to the observation deck, non-stop. And the Sears tower is 1454 feet tall. The trip took about 60 seconds, and my knees buckled a bit on the way up, that's how fast the elevator accelerated. Of course on the way down, it was freefall.........

While on the observaton deck, the tops of buildings across the street were so far down there, you could barely make out the workmen on the roofs. And these buildings, from the street, were very, very tall!

Also, Chi-town is known as the "Windy City" for good reason. While on the observation deck, I could feel the building swaying in the wind coming off Lake Michigan. And to top it all off, an airliner flew by the window on its way to Midway airport, that's how high up we were.

Getting faint, yet........?!!

Dean
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Martha,

Here's a story for ya.

Several years ago, I was in Chicago on business, but did a few of the touristy things. Had dinner at Ditka's restaurant, saw the Museum of Natural History, walked the Miracle Mile, and so on.

One day, I went to see the Sears Tower. The express elevators are the only ones that go all the way from bottom to top, and vice versa. I was able to go from the lobby all the way to the observation deck, non-stop. And the Sears tower is 1454 feet tall. The trip took about 60 seconds, and my knees buckled a bit on the way up, that's how fast the elevator accelerated. Of course on the way down, it was freefall.........

While on the observaton deck, the tops of buildings across the street were so far down there, you could barely make out the workmen on the roofs. And these buildings, from the street, were very, very tall!

Also, Chi-town is known as the "Windy City" for good reason. While on the observation deck, I could feel the building swaying in the wind coming off Lake Michigan. And to top it all off, an airliner flew by the window on its way to Midway airport, that's how high up we were.

Getting faint, yet........?!!

Dean
you actually made my knees wobbly.....that would freak me out for sure. this is how bad I have it, sometimes, not always, if I am on a ladder putting up christmas lights or whatever, it sets in and I freeze and can't climb down a friggin 6 ft ladder.

Couple of weeks ago, was a someone's house that was a two story and my knees started to shaked climbing the stairwell to the second floor and I started to get Vertigo.

PS You never see me very close to the railing on the cruiseships and on the Radiance Class, those glass elevators on the side almost make me pass out
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat