Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Airline luggage theft

there has been a rash of luggage thefts on Direct flights all across the board. Do not pack ANYTHING of any value in your checked suitcases. Seems that airline personal are just randomingly throwing luggage off to make room for PAID CARGO.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Airline luggage theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
there has been a rash of luggage thefts on Direct flights all across the board. Do not pack ANYTHING of any value in your checked suitcases. Seems that airline personal are just randomingly throwing luggage off to make room for PAID CARGO.
Sound advice, however, is there a basis for your allegations? I recall nothing in the news to indicate such happenings.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Within the last week a trio of luggage handlers at LAX were arrested for taking valuables from passengers luggage. Among the items they pilfered, was a limited edition watch valued at over $100.000 from the bag of Paris Hilton. (I can't imagine packing something like that in your luggage, but I'm not a multi-millionaire) Anyway, this trio of thugs has been removed from their job, however there may, or may not be more out there.
Pack with care.

Ken
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I've just always assumed that my bag could be compromised at any time so I never check anything I don't want to lose.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Northwest lost one of our bags...after 30 days they reimbursed us for the items in the bag and a few days later they delivered the bag!
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Never pack ANYTHING in your bag that you can't afford to lose. Valuables should always be packed in your carry on.

The vast majority of airline and airport employee are honest but it only takes a couple to give the rest a bad name. Similar to cruise passengers who jump off of cruise ships.

If if it's a family heirloom or that valuable then why are you taking it on vacation? If you have to transport something of major value and you can't carry it with you then ship it and insure it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't have anything of value!! 100,000 for a watch!!!!! Do you know how many cruises that is?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Never pack ANYTHING in your bag that you can't afford to lose. Valuables should always be packed in your carry on.

Great advice. Of course, if you have valuable sharp objects, or valuable firearms, or valuable liquids or valuable gels, you have a dilemma on your hands.

Also, if in the aggregate the stuff in your bags is valuable, and given the number of suitcases (ostensibly full of shoes) that I see people arriving at the airport with to transfer to cruise ships, it would be tough NOT classify them as valuable in the aggregate, you've got a similar problem.

For years I traveled with film crews. We'd typically have a dozen cases of equipment, worth in the aggregate maybe $150,000. No choice but to check them. Of course we carried extra insurance, but you can't insure not having the stuff you need to do your work when it's time to go to work. Yet in all those years we never lost anything significant for a meaningful amount of time.

Point is, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But of course anybody who packs a $100k watch in a checked bag is an idiot or a fool. I guess Miss Hilton is one or the other.
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Great advice. Of course, if you have valuable sharp objects, or valuable firearms, or valuable liquids or valuable gels, you have a dilemma on your hands.
AR: It depends on your idea of valuable. If I was hunting in Alaska I don't think I would be checking my Weatherby. I would opt to take my Winchester 300. The Weatherby would be shipped and insured.

My friend, who is a pilot for the same airline as your son, takes many hunting trips, each year, and checks his rifles and shotguns on some of his trips. He uses his least expensive guns for most of the trips that require flying or will use one of our weapons if he has to make multiple hops in order to make it to the destination. The more hops the greater the chance of it being delayed.

The knives could always be replaced in a short period of time. It doesn't have to be Solingen steel to be functional, a good Buck or Leatherman will do the trick in pinch.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Mike--

Yeah, that brings up an issue that misleads a lot of people: using the phrase "lost my bag" when what they mean in "my bag was delayed."

Your friend the pilot, and you, and I, and many others understand that delayed or misconnected is not necessarily lost, yet the term is used far too liberally.

If the baggage people at your destination airport look at the computer and tell you that your bag misconnected when you changed planes in Chicago, and that it will be on the next flight, your bag isn't lost, it's delayed. That's not good, but it's not nearly as bad as really losing it.
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Admiral

AR said

"But of course anybody who packs a $100k watch in a checked bag is an idiot or a fool. I guess Miss Hilton is one or the other."

Considering that the watch was most likely a promotional write-off for some firm or another, and considering the insurance probably paid off full value, do you think she is still either an idiot or a fool??? Do you honestly believe she pays anything to maintain her lifestyle??? I think it was more like instant payday than April Fool's Day.

Anyone achieving the status of Miss Hilton, and managing to maintain it for a good 10 years now, is no fool in my book. We're the fools for swallowing it.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Airline luggage theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Sound advice, however, is there a basis for your allegations? I recall nothing in the news to indicate such happenings.
Actually I was more curious about airlines allegedly throwing luggage off at random to make room for paid cargo. I have not experienced such and the last time we had lost luggage it was because of Celebrity botching the luggage transfer program to American Airlines. Prior to that I lost a bag back in the 70s coming from Frankfurt and it got back to me in a day.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Cynic--

Good point. I guess it depends on whether you consider "idiocy" and "foolishness" to be relative or absolute concepts. You're right that to her, $100k is trivial.

But the other side of the coin is that she's living on the same planet (if not in the same world) with the rest of us, and since 99% of us see $100k as a significant sum, treating it as trivial diminishes one ethically and morally. And, in my view, no one could be more diminished than that creature.

Why she, the Spears woman and the late Ms. Smith are so fascinating, I'll never understand. I'm pleased to say that somebody had to explain to me who Smith was when her death was announced. I had no idea.
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Cynic--

Good point. I guess it depends on whether you consider "idiocy" and "foolishness" to be relative or absolute concepts. You're right that to her, $100k is trivial.

But the other side of the coin is that she's living on the same planet (if not in the same world) with the rest of us, and since 99% of us see $100k as a significant sum, treating it as trivial diminishes one ethically and morally. And, in my view, no one could be more diminished than that creature.

Why she, the Spears woman and the late Ms. Smith are so fascinating, I'll never understand. I'm pleased to say that somebody had to explain to me who Smith was when her death was announced. I had no idea.
If you look at the OP, the watch was only one hundred dollars.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Look at the facts, there are a lot of third world countries out there we fly to for cruises. They rely on your cases to import new clothes for this years fashion "IN" statement and cruisers are the best example of "whats in".

But…. I really feel sorry for the guy that steals the case of the guy who is stuck in the seventies and whose tux smells of mothballs… Chuck everything apart from the fake gold medallion

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Admiral

AR> Considering it is all "smoke and mirrors" anyhow, I'm surprised you pass such a judgement. She lives in a world very different from yours and mine... and she (And Spears for that matter) manage to

a- be successful... hugely successful
b- spin their failures to their distinct advantage

(Mark my words... this is not the last we will be hearing from either, Spears especially... since you bring her up)

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Cynic--

I guess our definitions of "success" are different. For me, it comes down to whether I would want their "success" if I had to accept their lives as well. In other words, would I ever want to walk in their shoes. I can honestly say that I'm far happier as I am than I ever could be with that kind of "success."

But in the terms I know you are talking about, chiefly money and notoriety, there's no question that you're correct. They will not go away until they overdose, and even after they do they seem to manage to get Judge Loopy to hear their custody cases and continue to spin their stories.

Amazing.
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Admiral

AR> I'm not quite sure I want their lives either. But a heck of a lot of wannabes seem to aspire to this form of greatness. Just watch TV nowadays.... some guy on American Idol doesn't even have to sing anymore, just appear in strange hairstyles every week.