Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Admiral

You have a PM, Luanne

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Actually, Domino's pizza and a Jack and coke is what he has asked for.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Luanne--

As you know, I love you dearly and I couldn't be more happy that you'll soon be reunited. I can't imagine what you have been enduring.

But I still must say that it is critical to always separate the war from the warrior. That is a fact that our country did not seem to understand at all during and after Vietnam, and it may be the only thing about war that we've learned as a nation since.

That is why it is perfectly consistent for those who believe this war is immoral folly to still support the best trained, most dedicated military that you describe. We want nothing but the best for them. We are outraged by Walter Reed; we are outraged by deficiencies in body armour; we cry real tears when we hear the death toll; we are outraged by the waste, fraud and abuse by some of the contractors who are supposed to be supporting them; and we cry even more when we hear about the countless wounded--that in earlier wars would have been dead. And we certainly welcome them home with open arms.

But it is still true that sometimes good people are sent off to do bad things. Things are not "right" just because they're being done by the USA. Sometimes you just can't put lipstick on a pig.

And a perfect case in point is the current British hostage situation. Do I think the video "confessions" were coerced? Of course they were. Do I think they actually were in Iraqi rather than Iranian waters? I haven't the faintest idea. All I know is that the Brits and we say they were on the Iraqi side and the Iranians say they were on their side. Now, I would love to believe that we're telling the truth and they're pulling a stunt, and in years past I would have bet on it.

Now, I don't know. Because for the past few years our government has been wrong about so much and lied about a lot more. And liars always compound their lies when they get in a bind. Which gives rise to the now famous statement, "It's not the act, it's the coverup."

Don't get me wrong. Even if they were on the Iraqi side it's no excuse for hostage-taking. The point is that by being wrong, changing our story, and lying so often, we've lost a lot of credibility around the world (yes, that does count), as well as with our own people, both British and American. And that makes it harder and harder to accept on faith statements by our governments that would have been generally accepted by most everyone just a few years ago.

And that's the larger tragedy.
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

AR,

I love you too, but Walter Reed was not a surprise to anyone in the military, and could have been handled without the press, but it makes our president look bad, so let's get it out there. It has been bad for years. Many presidents ago. Not only that one, but many others around the country. We as military, have gotten use to it. We have always been told that the money wasn't there.

Body Armor: There again. It has been known that it would one day be needed. Where was it? Oh we don't have money for that. It was not until the elected officials were made to feel guilty, did we final start getting what we needed.

Good People sent to do bad things: Your right. Our military doesn't play. They get in there and get it done. They also are not given the chance to say whether it is right or wrong. They have a mission, and they do it. What bothers me is that only a certain group of people in this country have "the plan." They know the dangers, and are briefed on the possible out come. Not even every member of congress is allowed to see it. BUT, people like Rosie O what's her name, Wolf Blitzer suddenly knows more than congress. I feel good about my husbands Commander in Chief. That has not always been the case. During the last CIC the soldiers would put broken down vehicles in the middle of the post for others to take parts off. That's how bad it was.

Don't get me started about the contractors, and the waste they bring to the table, but they are not all doing it. Good contractors are the back bone of the military in many cases.

As I told Aidan, the truth will hopefully come out one day. Right now, people need to have faith, and be as supportive as possible.

While we are on the subject of current events. Pat Tillman getting killed by friendly fire. I was not surprised that his family was told he was killed in action. This is a way of dealing with death in the military for years. They didn't cover it up to hide something, they did it to make his last moments a proud one.
To this day I have a friend that I miss very much. His family was told that he also died as a brave soldier. He in fact got drunk, and climbed a cable car pole, and was fried. I was shocked that his mom was not told the truth, until I saw her face. I then knew it was the best thing to do.

Bottom line is that Leader of our country should be allowed to do his or her job. The military commanders should be allowed to do theirs. Wolf and Rosie should be talking about why the defense bill is packed with garbage, so that the American soldier will have to once again do without, if it is not passed.

We are at war!!! Our war is terrorist who have changed our lives forever. There is not one of you who has not been effected.

Go ahead and ask yourself Do I want our fine men and women fighting most of it over there, or do I want to fight it in the streets of New York, or Washington.

Jim left Kuwait 2 hours ago. My baby is coming home. He will actually touch down in your neck of the woods, AR. I sure hope there will be people there to welcome him home.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Is he coming to Andrews or Dulles?
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Dulles
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Yeah, cheers for Jim and Luanne. I wish I could be there to shake his hand and thank him in person. I know what a thankless job he has since I experience it myself but it always feels godo to have someone say "thanks".

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yeoman

Just to reinforce my earlier opinion I was taught, and British troops are still today.... take part in the game your hostage takers present. As the more they present you to camera and make you say things, the more the people back home can see it as forced propaganda, and they shoot themselves in the foot.

Tonight Lu, I am please Jim is home from a non-combat area, as you have said he is not in the forces today. My thoughts are with those 15 sailors and marines, and their families. I say that with no disrespect to Jim.