Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Default Gasoline Pricing

The news just ran a story about oil prices moving to new highs and gasoline at new highs in Callifornia. I am glad that I moved to the downtown area. My office is 4 miles away.

Incredibly, everyone was saying we need to reduce our dependency on foreign crude. The U.S. starts moving to use of ethynol because of the surplus of non edible plant fibers and the clean emissions it promised. Now, these same morons are crying that this production is cutting inbto our food chain (read corn), places more chemicals in the environment (pesticides to kill insects eating the corn), costs more money to plant crops (huh?), and costs more because of the machinery (tractors, farming equipment) used. Everyday comes with something that is really out there at the edge of thinking of these people. What can they complain about next?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Tell me about it!! It's awful. When we came home from our last cruise we couldn't believe it was over $3. Depending on which city and corner, gas is now $3.05 to $3.11. Some stations are offering a discount if you pay cash. Thank goodness DH and I work at the same hospital and carpool the 12 miles.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

I drive my Tundra somewhere between 150 and 300 miles per day. Regular gasoline is $2.59 here now, so it's about time to take command of the lovely Mrs. Jones's (Vita's) Honda Accord again. Even though it's a 6 cylinder, it'll still get roughly double the gas mileage that the truck gets. 8)
Time for another cruise I think.

Ken
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

I really am thankful that I will be retiring in 5 months. Then I don't have to be anywhere if I don't want to. That will save gasoline.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:38 AM
Admiral

people here complain about all the hydroelectric complexes we have built

apparently fish trauma is more important than zero emissions, and zero cost to create.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Admiral

You are so correct CC.

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:30 AM
Captain

Default Re: Gasoline Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
The news just ran a story about oil prices moving to new highs and gasoline at new highs in Callifornia. I am glad that I moved to the downtown area. My office is 4 miles away.

Incredibly, everyone was saying we need to reduce our dependency on foreign crude. The U.S. starts moving to use of ethynol because of the surplus of non edible plant fibers and the clean emissions it promised. Now, these same morons are crying that this production is cutting inbto our food chain (read corn), places more chemicals in the environment (pesticides to kill insects eating the corn), costs more money to plant crops (huh?), and costs more because of the machinery (tractors, farming equipment) used. Everyday comes with something that is really out there at the edge of thinking of these people. What can they complain about next?
You mention "everyone", "these same morons", and "these people". Can you provide names and citations to back this up? I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I've never seen anybody make the two claims together, so I'm curious to see the citations.

Cheers, Aidan
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Aidan, read the newspapers, business magazines, watch the news, listen to the talk shows, all of "these" people are there. I think they are waiting to win you over.

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Aidan, read the newspapers, business magazines, watch the news, listen to the talk shows, all of "these" people are there. I think they are waiting to win you over.
Hehe, OK, I give ... I read newspapers, business magazines, watched the news, and listened to talk shows ... never read/heard one person claim what you said. You obvously have somebody in mind and it ticked you off enough to call them moronic... why not just tell us the name and the quote?

Cheers, Aidan
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Adrian, I had quite an outline touching upon and discussing the pros and cons of what the topic is, complete with the authors, names of periodicals and dates. When I had all of this placed upon my responses window on this site, I hit the submit button and another window appeared stating that I had to sign in again. After doing this, my response to you was deleted by the site. I am not going to rehash it.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. Truce.

I have enjoyed the debating. Thanks

Michael

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Aidan> One of "those people" is Sir Paul McCartney (with erstwhile wife Heather Mills in tow), who came here to Canada to have his photo taken with a bunch of seals (one of said seals liked him so much it tried to bite him) and left... never to be seen again spouting off on this subject (apparently so dear to his heart).

Seal hunting is considered by locals to be an essential economic and survival activity for those involved. In other seasons, the seals are bear and whale food. Yet there always seems to be enough of them with all this abject slaughter to make up a "herd" every year. (could seals be a renewable resource???)

TV shows cute little big-eyed seals, and the world goes AWWWWWWW!!! Nobody tries to stop the polar bear from gulping one down. We kill and consume practically everything that grows and moves on this planet, and process it all for our benefit. Get used to it.

So you've decided to become a vegetarian??? (or God forbid a Vegan?)... well the latest crap being suggested by environmental pseudo-science is that plants have feelings too, and do SO hate it when we eat them. So starve. I dare you.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
Admiral

You guys can bicker all you want about whether ecological issues are worth worrying about.

Meanwhile, has anybody ever heard of the Straits of Hormose? If you think gas prices are bad now, just wait until the Iranian crisis escalates. Some are saying that even higher prices are already in the "pipline" just based on the British hostage crisis.

But that's another thread, isn't it?
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
Aidan> One of "those people" is Sir Paul McCartney
McCartney said that both drilling for oil and ethanol production are wrong? I notice you did not provide a citiation, just made the claim.

What do seals have to do with this topic?

Cheers, Aidan
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

copyright infringements

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Gasoline Pricing

Bicker away. We're justified here in CA. I filled my car today at $3.33/gal. My bill was $43. There was an enormous SUV in front of me. That guy had $60 in the tank and wasn't nearly done. Probably cost him close to $100 to fill 'er up. The whole thing is just absurd.

Judy
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Captain

Default Re: Gasoline Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J
Bicker away. We're justified here in CA. I filled my car today at $3.33/gal. My bill was $43. There was an enormous SUV in front of me. That guy had $60 in the tank and wasn't nearly done. Probably cost him close to $100 to fill 'er up. The whole thing is just absurd.

Judy
Yup, gas is expensive. Ethanol is not cheaper, though. Because it is less volatile, engines burn more to achieve the same performance as petrol.

Cheers, Aidan
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
copyright infringements
Now your trying to hide, I have to agree with Aiden on the subject of just throwing every liberal under the bus and making a mass claim that every liberal believes that alternative fuels are not good. I'm more of a moderate but still understand that making wide ranging generic remarks are an easy eye catcher, but does nothing for the accuracy of the story. As far as "Copyright infringement" usually if you are quoting someone or there story, if you acknowledge them and give credit it is not a proble. Also It is no problem to mention names so that others can look up the information if they want.

Enough rambling

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 2007
RCCL Navigator of the Sea 2004
Carnival Elation 2002
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
Admiral

DARREN!!!! I DON'T HIDE!

By Steve Hargreaves, CNNMoney.com staff writer
April 2 2007: 3:31 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- All of a sudden, everybody hates ethanol.

Among the criticisms: Ethanol takes more energy to produce than it yields ... it can't be easily shipped ... it's driving up the price of food ... it's perverse to put food in fuel tanks while people starve.

This is only the latest!

Don't make accusations on me. That is a personal attack. I haven't done that and I will not accept it at me.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Are you sure it's not just the gas companies throwing a fuss? Trying to come up with every little reason they can as to why ethanol isn't the answer, and so that when the switch is made to ethanol instead of gasoline that they can justify and convince everyone that they still need to charge an arm and a leg for their product and make even more money.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Our local news showed gas prices in California at $4.59 per gallon! That is horrendous! It makes me change my attitude at the pumps in Louisiana where I pay $2.45 per gallon. That doesn't mean I like it...it just means I know it could be worse! I have a Durango with a 25 gallon tank, that means it would cost me $114.75 to fill up in California as opposed to $61.25 for a fillup in Louisiana!

I know the cost of living is much higher in California, but if this is a sign of things to come...I need a new place to live closer to work...and a bicycle!

What really gets my goat is that we are required to use our personal vehicles for work. We are reimbursed 40 cents per mile. When you calculate the total expense of the car (with gas at just $2.00 per gallon), it costs me 65 cents per mile to operate my car! I do believe I am getting the raw end of this deal!

All of this makes me look a little harder at the hybrid vehicles!

Later,
Melody
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Default Gasoline Pricing

Melody, yes, on the Westside (Beverly Hills, etc.), gas is probably over $4/gal.

Judy
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Poor things! And I know there are people living in California who are working at minimum wage or a little higher.....how in heaven's name are they going to handle this?

Melody
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Passenger

About the over $4 for gas here in California, I'd be more willing to bet that that's in areas like Barstow and Baker and Blyth, small little cities along the highways where they know that if you're pulling in for gas you *need* gas, and you'll pay any price. I paid 3.23 yesterday, and that was at one of the cheaper places, but certainly not THE cheapest (lowest price i saw was 3.09, but they were out of regular).
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphyre
About the over $4 for gas here in California, I'd be more willing to bet that that's in areas like Barstow and Baker and Blyth, small little cities along the highways where they know that if you're pulling in for gas you *need* gas, and you'll pay any price. I paid 3.23 yesterday, and that was at one of the cheaper places, but certainly not THE cheapest (lowest price i saw was 3.09, but they were out of regular).
We live in Northern California and haven't seen $3.09 in months and months.

We're in the high $3....like $3.59 and $3.89...or the mid-range fule...just above regular. Don't even look anymore at Premium!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

My $2.49 a gallon is looking better and better!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
Our local news showed gas prices in California at $4.59 per gallon! That is horrendous! It makes me change my attitude at the pumps in Louisiana where I pay $2.45 per gallon. That doesn't mean I like it...it just means I know it could be worse! I have a Durango with a 25 gallon tank, that means it would cost me $114.75 to fill up in California as opposed to $61.25 for a fillup in Louisiana!

I know the cost of living is much higher in California, but if this is a sign of things to come...I need a new place to live closer to work...and a bicycle!

What really gets my goat is that we are required to use our personal vehicles for work. We are reimbursed 40 cents per mile. When you calculate the total expense of the car (with gas at just $2.00 per gallon), it costs me 65 cents per mile to operate my car! I do believe I am getting the raw end of this deal!

All of this makes me look a little harder at the hybrid vehicles!

Later,
Melody
It would be interesting to see the average wage in CA compared to Louisiana.

In Ny (75 miles north of NYC) we are paying $2.79 to $2.83

Brian

Sensation
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

I found a website that lists the median wage from May 2005....
California $15.80
Louisiana $12.01

Melody
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
I found a website that lists the median wage from May 2005....
California $15.80
Louisiana $12.01

Melody
Median at $15.80. I find that hard to believe.

I would guess the median salary of CA is in the $40,000 to $60,000 range.

Below is part of the definition of median from wikipedia.

Brian

a median is a number dividing the higher half of a sample, a population, or a probability distribution from the lower half.

At most half the population have values less than the median and at most half have values greater than the median. If both groups contain less than half the population, then some of the population is exactly equal to the median.

Sensation
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Brian, don't be a pain :evil: ....that is an hourly wage....from 2005. Here is the website.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm

The website happens to be The Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. I pointed my cursor to California and selected ALL wages..then I did the same thing for Louisiana.

And quit calling me a liar! I didn't make this up! If you want to search the web and find something better, go ahead! Then post it here.

And I KNOW how to use a dictionary and an encyclopedia ....so quit trying to make people feel stupid. Is this how you make yourself feel important? No, don't answer that. As a matter of fact...leave me alone.

Later,
Melody
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Alaska has oil.
Let's DRILL!!!!