CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Police Harassment (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/331276-police-harassment.html)

mehawk April 6th, 2007 12:30 PM

Police Harassment

For your pleasure and enjoyment...

This was taken from a "Community Policing" question and answer via an e-mail forum in California.

The question was:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officer to harass people and get away with it? And where can you go for help, other than a civil attorney?"

And the answer was:

"It is not easy. In California we average one cop for every 2000 people. About 60% of those cops are on patrol, where we do most of the harassing. One-fifth of that 60% are on duty at any moment and available for harassing people. So, one on duty cop is responsible to harass about 10,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial, business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible to try to harass 20,000+ people a day.

A ten hour shift runs 36,000 seconds. This gives a cop only one second to harass a person, and three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. Most cops are not up to it day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

Since you now understand why we cannot harass everyone let me explain briefly what we do to utilize some special "tools" to help us narrow down who we harass, so we can focus our limited "harassing resources" to those most worthy individuals. They are as follows:

The Phone:
People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus
on another person for special (concentrated) harassment. "My ex-husband just beat me and my boyfriend up and he is barricaded in the bedroom with our baby and a gun, or "My neighbor is beating up his wife and she is screaming for help" are a couple code phrases that are frequently employed. Then we come out and give special harassment to the wife beater. Another popular one on weekends is "My neighbors are out of town and their kids are having a loud party."

Cars:
We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive; They usually ride motorcycles so they can get around fast or cut through traffic to harass as many people as possible in their given shift. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars blasting music, cars with expired registration tabs, and the like. It is lots of fun when we pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious then running a red light, going around railroad crossing arms, or driving 20+ MPH over the posted limit in a school zone. Sometimes we get to really heap the harassment on when we find they have drugs in their car, are driving drunk, are unlicensed or have an arrest warrant!
Runners:
Some people take off running at the mere sight of a uniformed police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a trained
beagle on the scent of a bunny. When we catch them, gosh darn it if there isn't always some good reason to harass them for hours!

Codes:
When we can think of nothing else to do, there are books that give us
ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called Codes, Penal, Vehicle, Health and Safety, Business and Professions... They each spell out all sorts of silly things for which we can really mess with people. After we study these code books, we can just drive around for a while until we find someone violating one of the listed offenses and heap on the harassment! Just last week I saw a guy smash several car windows right in front of me. Well, believe it or not, one of the code books says that is not allowed. That meant I automatically got to harass this guy...of course he didn't like it, because just when I got done harassing him, the jail deputies harassed him and that will likely continue until the judge harasses him, then he will probably be harassed by a probation officer for the next couple of years. It is a pretty cool system that we have set up, and it works very well most of the time. We seem to have a never ending supply of folks to harass, and we "get away with it" because the good citizens pay the tab for us to keep the streets safe for them...and your civil attorney.

Next time you are in my town, give me a "single finger wave". That is a secret signal that you wish for me to take a closer look at you, and maybe find a reason to harass you.

ready2gonow April 6th, 2007 01:22 PM

Yep, that pretty well sums it up! LOL LOL
Thank you!

JamesRT April 6th, 2007 01:31 PM

LOL LOL LOL

msblackjack April 6th, 2007 01:33 PM

priceless -

Luanne Russo April 6th, 2007 01:55 PM

Good one LOL

DavidBgood April 6th, 2007 03:10 PM

And I thought that I was a "wind up merchant"...Mike 8) 8)

Clever

mehawk April 6th, 2007 04:57 PM

Glad to be of service. :D

AR April 6th, 2007 05:15 PM

Amazing what creativity can flow from truly stupid questions.

lifeisschool April 7th, 2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR
Amazing what creativity can flow from truly stupid questions.

And I betcha it didn't take too long to come up with either! Probably from some 20 year veteran who's seen it all!

katlady April 7th, 2007 01:23 AM

Re: Police Harassment

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk

This was taken from a "Community Policing" question and answer via an e-mail forum in California.

The question was:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officer to harass people and get away with it? And where can you go for help, other than a civil attorney?"

And the answer was:

Codes:
ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called Codes, Penal, Vehicle, Health and Safety, Business and Professions... They each spell out all sorts of silly things for which we can really mess with people. After we study these code books, we can just drive around for a while until we find someone violating one of the listed offenses and heap on the harassment! Just last week I saw a guy smash several car windows right in front of me. Well, believe it or not, one of the code books says that is not allowed. That meant I automatically got to harass this guy...of course he didn't like it, because just when I got done harassing him, the jail deputies harassed him and that will likely continue until the judge harasses him, then he will probably be harassed by a probation officer for the next couple of years. It is a pretty cool system that we have set up, and it works very well most of the time. We seem to have a never ending supply of folks to harass, and we "get away with it" because the good citizens pay the tab for us to keep the streets safe for them...and your civil attorney.

Next time you are in my town, give me a "single finger wave". That is a secret signal that you wish for me to take a closer look at you, and maybe find a reason to harass you.

Couple things came to mind as I read this. You missed one thing and you will see why it came to me. :wink:

After the jail deputies harassed him and the judge harassed him. There were 12 people that recieved a special notice for the county to come in and harass him they are called the jury.

For a period of time I was a collector of employment taxes we also like to use codes to harass people they are called the taxation and revenue code, the unemployment insurance code, the government code, and the civil code of procedures etc. We collectors of taxes harass people because we are jealous that the police got to do all the harassing. :twisted:

crazysis April 7th, 2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

The question was:

And the answer was:

"It is not easy. In California we average one cop for every 2000 people. About 60% of those cops are on patrol, where we do most of the harassing. One-fifth of that 60% are on duty at any moment and available for harassing people. So, one on duty cop is responsible to harass about 10,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial, business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible to try to harass 20,000+ people a day.

A ten hour shift runs 36,000 seconds. This gives a cop only one second to harass a person, and three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. Most cops are not up to it day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

Since you now understand why we cannot harass everyone let me explain briefly what we do to utilize some special "tools" to help us narrow down who we harass, so we can focus our limited "harassing resources" to those most worthy individuals. They are as follows:

The Phone:
People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus
on another person for special (concentrated) harassment. "My ex-husband just beat me and my boyfriend up and he is barricaded in the bedroom with our baby and a gun, or "My neighbor is beating up his wife and she is screaming for help" are a couple code phrases that are frequently employed. Then we come out and give special harassment to the wife beater. Another popular one on weekends is "My neighbors are out of town and their kids are having a loud party."

Cars:
We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive; They usually ride motorcycles so they can get around fast or cut through traffic to harass as many people as possible in their given shift. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars blasting music, cars with expired registration tabs, and the like. It is lots of fun when we pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious then running a red light, going around railroad crossing arms, or driving 20+ MPH over the posted limit in a school zone. Sometimes we get to really heap the harassment on when we find they have drugs in their car, are driving drunk, are unlicensed or have an arrest warrant!
Runners:
Some people take off running at the mere sight of a uniformed police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a trained
beagle on the scent of a bunny. When we catch them, gosh darn it if there isn't always some good reason to harass them for hours!

Codes:

love it!!

mehawk April 7th, 2007 02:17 AM

Kat, the heading was why police officers harass you not the jurors but, good point there. LOL

crazysis April 7th, 2007 03:23 AM

i think kat is still stuck in jury duty mode! wake up sis! the nightmare is over! you can now go on to live a normal life! at least as normal as is possible for you!! :D at least until your next jury summons! :twisted:

CruzNut April 7th, 2007 09:55 PM

That's a riot ... I have to send it to a retired cop friend of mine. Thanks for the laugh.

Fieldmouse April 8th, 2007 11:55 AM

Too funny! Thanks for sharing....my son works for DOJ ....he's going to share it with the Dept.

richstacy April 8th, 2007 01:04 PM

mehawk, as someone involved in the law enforcemnt community for about 35 years, I found that very funny. Will share with some cop friends. (If they are not too busy harrassing folks that is.) :D :roll:

Divemaster April 9th, 2007 10:43 PM

Not so fast there. As a kid in California, one of my friends father's was a cop and I recall a funny story of what he and his partner did to some lost hippies in the '60's sending them off in the wrong direction down some old oil field roads. Sounded funny at the time but that was harassment. Also took Police Science classes in San Luis Obispo, California with some cops who handled the Isla Vista riots in Santa Barbara with wrist rockets (hunting slingshots) loaded with marbles. They shot for the pavement in froint of folks, sending glass shards upwards into crowds. Harassment? - you decide.

Harassment is done, maybe less frequently today in the video phone era, but people are people then and now.

Quote:

"It is not easy.

lifeisschool April 9th, 2007 11:47 PM

I digress...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysis
i think kat is still stuck in jury duty mode! wake up sis! the nightmare is over! you can now go on to live a normal life! at least as normal as is possible for you!! :D at least until your next jury summons! :twisted:

Crazysis,

Since you brought it up, I want to ask if anyone has ever been called to appear for jury duty when they were scheduled for a cruise? I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies here, because it would be just my luck to have that happen.

I actually was summoned for jury duty twice within a 3 month period. Evidentally, unless you're CHOSEN for a jury, they can call you back and call you back and call you back...(It's like Groundhog Day!) :shock:

katlady April 10th, 2007 12:21 AM

Re: I digress...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisschool
Quote:

Crazysis,

Since you brought it up, I want to ask if anyone has ever been called to appear for jury duty when they were scheduled for a cruise? I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies here, because it would be just my luck to have that happen.

I actually was summoned for jury duty twice within a 3 month period. Evidentally, unless you're CHOSEN for a jury, they can call you back and call you back and call you back...(It's like Groundhog Day!) :shock:

I was called for jury duty that would have started on the first day of my cruise. I returned the notice requesting a postponement and I received it.

Also I was just called for Jury Duty the judge asked about a hardship with a 2 week trial. someone raised his hand and explained he had a cruise paid for leaving in 3 weeks and was concerned the trial would run over. The judge let him go I don't know if it was considered a postponement and he had to serve later like I did or if he was just dismissed.

They won't make you lose your cruise money just to serve they will just move you to a different week. By the way after my cruise I served on a jury as juror number 5 this last time I juror number 3, I'm working my way up to juror #1 LOL

Divemaster April 10th, 2007 12:49 AM

Was on the stringer and had to call in during one cruise. Also missed an important family reunion once due to serving on a jury for manslaughter. The defendant, however, lost the rest of his life. :shock:

Quote:

Quote:

Crazysis,

lifeisschool April 10th, 2007 04:29 PM

So, is jury duty be considered "trip interruption" under travel insurance!? :?: :-P
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster
Was on the stringer and had to call in during one cruise. Also missed an important family reunion once due to serving on a jury for manslaughter. The defendant, however, lost the rest of his life. :shock:

Quote:

Quote:

Crazysis,

Divemaster April 10th, 2007 05:18 PM

No, it is considered a shore excursion. And you even get paid for taking it! :-P

Quote:

So, is jury duty be considered "trip interruption" under travel insurance!? :?: :-P
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster

Quote:

Quote:

Crazysis,

Rev22:17 April 10th, 2007 06:59 PM

lifeisschool,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

The laws governing jury duty vary from state to state. Here in Massachusetts, the summons comes with a card that allows you to request a deferment to a date of your own choosing. (Tip: the week before a holiday weekend is usually a good time, as the courts are not likely to begin a long trial right before a holiday.) The summons also usually directs the recipient to call an information line by telephone on the eve of the scheduled day for recorded instructions as to whether to report or not. If the instructions on the tape say not to report, one goes back into the election pool. If one must report, one becomes exempt from further jury duty for a period of time (IIRC, three years) and can opt out if one receives a summons in that time and does not wish to serve.

Of course, practices of other states may vary.

That said, it's not exactly difficult to get off a jury. In a criminal trial, something like, "Your honor, I believe that the prosecutor would not bring these charges without absolute proof that the defendant is guilty...." would bring instant dismissal. A civil trial might take a little more creativity, but only a little more.

Norm.

ready2gonow April 10th, 2007 07:26 PM

My DS was schedule for a Federal Jury that conflicted with one of our cruises. The court postponed the jury duty for a couple of weeks, but then he had the pleasure of participating in his civil duty!